Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
GlennG

Seeking Advice - Lanai Staterooms

Recommended Posts

My wife and I are looking at the possibility of cruising on the Rotterdam Ship in January of 2020 - Panama Canal Cruise.  We have never booked a Lanai Room.  (On our previous cruises, with Holland America Line, we have always stayed in balcony rooms.)  Our budget will not accommodate booking a Vista Suite on the Rotterdam.  In researching this particular ship, it would appear that patrons have mixed reviews about the Rotterdam, but we do enjoy smaller ships as compared to the Koningsdam and its new sister ship.  We are seeking advice and comments from experienced CC readers who are familiar with the Rotterdam and more specifically the Lanai rooms.  Can you recommend any specific rooms?  We understand that some of these staterooms are larger than others.  We are a bit concerned about privacy issues, but I have been assured that onlookers cannot observe the interiors of these staterooms from the promenade deck.  Any comments and suggestions will be really appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lanai cabins from the mid-ship elevator bank to the aft elevator bank are under the galley. It can get noisy in there at night.
Look for something from the mid-ship elevator forward.

Lanai cabins are former outsides, and are smaller than the outsides on the lower decks. As a matter of fact, they are smaller than the insides right across the passageway on Lower Promenade. Storage is limited; the desk is more like a shelf, with no drawer space underneath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RuthC said:

Lanai cabins from the mid-ship elevator bank to the aft elevator bank are under the galley. It can get noisy in there at night.
Look for something from the mid-ship elevator forward.

Lanai cabins are former outsides, and are smaller than the outsides on the lower decks. As a matter of fact, they are smaller than the insides right across the passageway on Lower Promenade. Storage is limited; the desk is more like a shelf, with no drawer space underneath.

Thanks, Ruth.  I have always appreciated and marveled at your observations and advice.  I think we will be looking at other alternatives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DH and I spent 42 days in an Lanai cabin on Rotterdam going round trip Ft. Lauderdale Med. and back to Ft. Lauderdale.  We loved the Lanai.  In fact we liked it more than the balcony we had on our last long cruise (30 days to Hawaii/ Tahiti)  It is awesome.  So convenient and we loved to be able to walk right out to the Promenade and take those shots everyone wants.  We would not hesitate to book another on a longer cruise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Hflors said:

DH and I spent 42 days in an Lanai cabin on Rotterdam going round trip Ft. Lauderdale Med. and back to Ft. Lauderdale.  We loved the Lanai.  In fact we liked it more than the balcony we had on our last long cruise (30 days to Hawaii/ Tahiti)  It is awesome.  So convenient and we loved to be able to walk right out to the Promenade and take those shots everyone wants.  We would not hesitate to book another on a longer cruise!

I have been in a lanai on 3 different cruises. I also prefer it to balancing rooms now. I like having direct access to the promenade and find that I spend more time out and about with the lanai room than I did with the balcony. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We also love having a Lanai. We do not find the cabin small, and always have more storage space than we need. We have another 47 days booked in Lanais on Maasdam, Volendam and Veendam this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can not comment on the Rotterdam but I just did the 89 night South Pacific Grand Asia cruise on the Amsterdam and had a lanai cabin. It was the first time I booked a lanai and I absolutely loved it! 

 

Yes, I traveled solo, and yes the cabin was a bit smaller, but the view was fantastic, to open the door and immediately be out on the deck was wonderful, and enjoying your reserved chaise lounges right outside your door was just perfect.

 

     

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the Rotterdam April 2018 with a friend in lanai cabin for the first time.  Loved the convenience of stepping right from the cabin onto the Promenade Deck and enjoyed the reserved deck chairs.  Cabin size was fine for us, two women bringing all the usual paraphernalia.  We ordered room service several times and ate in our deck chairs, a real threat to watch the world go by, both the sea and fellow passengers.  

 

If you decide to book a lanai, take a clothespin to clip to the curtain edges at night, as the curtains don't fully close.  In the daytime, no one can see inside.  At night, it's a different story.  We stayed in cabin #3332 and loved it, since it was close to the mid-ship elevators.  We felt no rocking whatsoever.  I hope this information makes your decision about a cabin a little easier.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We loved our lanai on the Veendam last summer going to Cuba.   We are looking at at booking a lanai in Sept. 2020 in Europe.   Besides being more enjoyble the difference in price to a much more expensive vista room makes it an easy decision.   It will take a few minutes not jump every time someone walks outside on the promenade but you will soon get used to it.     People cannot see in.  We tested this out daytime and nighttime when we walked around the deck and walked up to the lanai windows with curtains not closed and saw absolutely nothing.  

You can for $2 a day rent a refrigerator.  We found it great to get up from our private

lounger and in a minute have a nice cold beverage.  

Ruth is right about location.  Look at the Rotterdam deck plan and see what is above on the 4th floor. 

Have a great trip. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had our first Lanai cabin on the Rotterdam last March.   We heard the stories about people walking by and looking in.   I ran a test.  I turned on every light in the cabin and went outside.   Standing 4 ft away from the sliding glass door, all I could see was myself.  The coating on the glass makes it like a mirror.   Then, I went up to the door and pressed my nose to the glass.  I could make out the ceiling light fixtures, and when DW walked around, I saw a darkening of the lights as she passed by them.  But I could not make out anything in the room.   So, there is no worries of someone peeking in.   Only issue was the promenade deck is well lighted, all night.   If you need total darkness to sleep, take some clothes pins to pull the heavy drapes fully closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My sister and I sailed on the Rotterdam last fall and we loved our Lanai room!  I, too, enjoyed walking out the door and being on the Promenade deck.  We always books balcony rooms but I would now always prefer a lanai cabin to a balcony!  ENJOY!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Underthemoonlight said:

We loved our lanai on the Veendam last summer going to Cuba.   We are looking at at booking a lanai in Sept. 2020 in Europe.   Besides being more enjoyble the difference in price to a much more expensive vista room makes it an easy decision.   It will take a few minutes not jump every time someone walks outside on the promenade but you will soon get used to it.     People cannot see in.  We tested this out daytime and nighttime when we walked around the deck and walked up to the lanai windows with curtains not closed and saw absolutely nothing.  

You can for $2 a day rent a refrigerator.  We found it great to get up from our private

lounger and in a minute have a nice cold beverage.  

Ruth is right about location.  Look at the Rotterdam deck plan and see what is above on the 4th floor. 

Havre a great trip. 

 

 

I have a Lanai booked on the Rotterdam in Sept. 2020. My first Lanai and I'm really looking forward to it. Do I really have to rent a cooler/refrigerator? If so, do per arrange that through guest services or after I get on the ship? Thanks for any feedback.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Magictam

We called guest services a couple weeks before we left.   You do not have to rent A refrigerator, we found it worthwhile to have cold water or soda always available.  That’s us, you know yourself what is good for you.   

The Sept itenaries are very intriguing and we will decide soon which one to take.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to all of you who have taken time to respond to my concerns.  I appreciate your willingness to share your experiences with me.   While we have not "shut the door" on Rotterdam Lanai staterooms, we are looking at other alternatives.  Let me ask two other questions.  Can anyone clarify on the number of swimming pools on the Rotterdam?  I thought that there were two pools, but I have read that there is no longer an aft pool on this ship.  Secondly, is the Rotterdam in need of serious renovation and repair?  We get conflicting stories from our travel agents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, vinonme2 said:

I can not comment on the Rotterdam but I just did the 89 night South Pacific Grand Asia cruise on the Amsterdam and had a lanai cabin. It was the first time I booked a lanai and I absolutely loved it! 

 

Yes, I traveled solo, and yes the cabin was a bit smaller, but the view was fantastic, to open the door and immediately be out on the deck was wonderful, and enjoying your reserved chaise lounges right outside your door was just perfect.

 

     

 

 

I ooked at these... and  my objection is that when the curtains are open your in a fishbowl  or a Macy's Store window....0 privacy... and  the view is in the distance across a 15-20 ft wide  teak-street with  joggers and workers abounding.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GlennG said:

Can anyone clarify on the number of swimming pools on the Rotterdam?  I thought that there were two pools, but I have read that there is no longer an aft pool on this ship. 

One remaining pool, the Lido pool at mid-ship.

Once upon a time there were two pools, but back about 10 years ago some 'genius' (and I use the word advisedly) at HAL decided to remove the aft pool and substitute a meandering footbath. Rotterdam was the second ship to get this butchering. Needless to say, the idea was a flop, and wasn't continued on other ships.
But the Rotterdam suffers with the renovation to this day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Thanks to many of you for your high praise of a Lanai!  April 7 will be our first time on the Rotterdam, and first time for a Lanai - you all are simply reinforcing my excitement!   After the Eurodam and Zuiderdam, which were both wonderful last year, we are trying a smaller ship - should be fun!  One can always find fun on a cruise, and relaxation, too, am I right, or am I right?

 

We have cabin 3368 - it seemed like it was a good spot?  RuthC, do you think that is too close to the galley?

 

Mimi W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CM1984 said:

 

Thanks to many of you for your high praise of a Lanai!  April 7 will be our first time on the Rotterdam, and first time for a Lanai - you all are simply reinforcing my excitement!   After the Eurodam and Zuiderdam, which were both wonderful last year, we are trying a smaller ship - should be fun!  One can always find fun on a cruise, and relaxation, too, am I right, or am I right?

 

We have cabin 3368 - it seemed like it was a good spot?  RuthC, do you think that is too close to the galley?

 

Mimi W

 I have the same cabin set for April 2020.   So I look forward to hearing your thoughts about it when you get back.  I hope you took lots of pictures and will share them.  And I hope you thoroughly enjoy yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, magictam said:

 I have the same cabin set for April 2020.   So I look forward to hearing your thoughts about it when you get back.  I hope you took lots of pictures and will share them.  And I hope you thoroughly enjoy yourself.

 

Thank you magictam!  I will take a ton of pics, especially of the cabin, and give you lots of info on it.  Thank you for your kindness!

 

Mimi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be on her in March 2020 Panama Canal our od San Diego. We switched from 3368 see the white space on deck plans? That is where all the Galley for cleaning etc is. Our PCC moved us to 3332 portside. Ruth knows best but was glad our PCC moves us. I booked this while we were on The Maasdam last year doing SA and decided to ask our PCC when we got home. Check your deck plans so you can really see above you as well as on the floor your on. 

Smooth Sailings

Denise😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi GlennG, I'm going to be the negative Lanai supporter here.  We were on the Rotterdam from Feb 3-10/2019.  First the ship and her staff are spectacular and I would recommend the Rotterdam 100%.  I did not have a Lanai room however did walk past them many times using the Walking Deck.  I would not go out of my way to get one.  Yes the convenience to outside is great, especially if you had friends sharing a room nearby, but it seems like you are always on display.  I couldn't help but trying to take a peek in rooms if the door was open or looking at what people were doing while sitting on the chairs.  The chairs really need to be replaced, they are teak but well weathered and the chair mats are very stained and dirty looking.  If I had booked this type of room, I would have been disappointed.  Now I'll tell you my secret spot...we were on the second floor oceanview near the aft; at the end of the hall is a door with a porthole that backs right out on to an aft balcony with loungers.  Hardly anyone was ever out there, it was like my own personal aft stateroom!  Both 2nd and 3rd floors had this back aft balcony area. 

Edited by 32point5
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have had 2 different Lanai cabins on the Rotterdam.  And I can say unequivocally that you CANNOT see in through the sliding glass door.  They have a mirror kind of coating on the window and sliding door, and even at night, with full lights on in the cabin, and my nose pressed against the door, I cannot see anything other that the ceiling lights.  Yes, you can see people walking by from the inside, but it is impossible for those walkers to see you.  If you walk out your Lanai sliding door, make sure you take the little white proximity card provided with you.  The door can slide closed by itself depending on sea conditions, and you can be locked out.  The door has a very strong magnetic latch that requires you to press a button on the inside to open, or swipe your prox card when on the outside.  

The lounge chairs are of wooden construction.  The crew comes by every morning around 6:00 AM to wash down the promenade deck, and then they put the cushions on your lounge chairs.  They remove them around 8:00pm at night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 1:44 PM, vinonme2 said:

and enjoying your reserved chaise lounges right outside your door was just perfect.

Did you have any issues with other people using your lounges?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CM1984 said:

We have cabin 3368 - it seemed like it was a good spot?  RuthC, do you think that is too close to the galley?

I honestly don't know. It is right at the end (or beginning?) of the galley, so certainly won't have as much traffic as a more mid-point section would. I don't know what that particular area is used for; it could be the back of a storage cabinet, so quiet. I really don't know.
Sorry I can't be of more help. But I do hope it works out well for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 7:50 PM, magictam said:

I have a Lanai booked on the Rotterdam in Sept. 2020. My first Lanai and I'm really looking forward to it. Do I really have to rent a cooler/refrigerator? If so, do per arrange that through guest services or after I get on the ship? Thanks for any feedback.

 

I haven’t had a lanai in Rotterdam but did on Veendam. I can’t imagine there is much size difference. So where do you plug in the refrigerator if you rent one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...