is getting a dining packages worth it?

greensmoothie

I typically don't pay extra for specialty dining but am considering it for our 15 night cruise.

However, looking at the packages offered the numbers don't make sense to me. If I get the 3 meal package it costs 94.80 making it 31.60 a meal.

From what I could find it looks like Teppanyaki is a flat fee of 29.95 (does this include gratuity?) so it would be cheaper without the meal plan. Q looks to be under $20 for an entree and a couple sides. Los Lobos seems like a meal would be less than $15. Even Cagney's most expensive entree is $29 which would mean only a small discount over paying a la carte.

Am I missing something? I expected to be saving significantly by purchasing a package.

Also, can I get the specialty dining if my partner doesn't get it? Can he eat with me? Can I order multiple starters and my entree while he just orders something small and shares my food? Just trying to figure out if why people purchase the packages as it doesn't seem like a great value.

i did the math.

best bang for the buck is the 8day sdp and thats what i normally buy on long cruises.

that's because the jump from 3-7 day is $15 per day.

the jump from 7day to 8day is only $10.

if you dont want that many days, then get the 4day. it's the biggest drop per meal (% wise) over the 3day.

sdp includes appetizer and dessert.

yes, u can have sdp and your partner doesnt.

you're not supposed to share appetizers/dessert but noone's going to nanny you.

Edited by fstuff1

27 minutes ago, greensmoothie said:

From what I could find it looks like Teppanyaki is a flat fee of 29.95 (does this include gratuity?)

No, the 20% service charge makes it $35.94.

28 minutes ago, greensmoothie said:

Even Cagney's most expensive entree is $29 which would mean only a small discount over paying a la carte.

Apps, sides, dessert at Cagney's would be added to the entree cost plus 20%. Expect about $50pp at Cagney's 

32 minutes ago, greensmoothie said:

Am I missing something? I expected to be saving significantly by purchasing a package.

Unless you are a light eater, the a la carte price is usually higher than the price per meal of the package. As the package number goes up, the package cost per meal goes down. 

34 minutes ago, greensmoothie said:

Also, can I get the specialty dining if my partner doesn't get it?

Yes.

34 minutes ago, greensmoothie said:

Can he eat with me?

Yes. He will "pay" for his meal with the on-board account while you "pay" with the SDP.

35 minutes ago, greensmoothie said:

Can I order multiple starters and my entree while he just orders something small and shares my food?

"Sharing" isn't supposed to be done. It does happen but it's against the terms of the SDP.

Thank you both! Looks like the price does get much better if you purchase more credits and we'll need to buy one of the bigger packages to really get a deal.

Days Total Price Price/Day
3 94.8 31.6
4 112.8 28.2
5 130.8 26.16
6 148.8 24.8
7 166.8 23.82857143
8 178.8 22.35
9 190.8 21.2
10 202.8 20.28
11 214.8 19.52727273
12 226.8 18.9
13 238.8 18.36923077
14 250.8 17.91428571
15 262.9 17.52666667

Thank you both! Looks like the price does get much better if you purchase more credits and we'll need to buy one of the bigger packages to really get a deal.

BUT you have already paid for all meals in your cruise cost!!  OK use up vouchers or splash out once or twice but why pay again "every" night?  What is wrong with the food in the MDRs?

24 minutes ago, greensmoothie said:

Days Total Price Price/Day
3 94.8 31.6
4 112.8 28.2
5 130.8 26.16
6 148.8 24.8
7 166.8 23.82857143
8 178.8 22.35
9 190.8 21.2
10 202.8 20.28
11 214.8 19.52727273
12 226.8 18.9
13 238.8 18.36923077
14 250.8 17.91428571
15 262.9 17.52666667

biggest % drop is going from 3day to 4day.

next is going from 4day to 5day.

3rd biggest is going from 7day to 8 day.

so 4day/5day/8day (in that order) are your best values.

im assuming you're on the Bliss since you mentioned Q. (Q is only on the Bliss.)

there are 6 speciality restaurants: cagneys, le bistro, Teppanyaki, Q, Los Lobos, and La Cuchina.

you can buy the 6day package and try each one but the 6day  sdp isnt one of the 'value' packages.

i personally would skip la cuchina so that leaves 5 restaurants, thus 5day sdp. 

Edited by fstuff1

30 minutes ago, casofilia said:

BUT you have already paid for all meals in your cruise cost!!  OK use up vouchers or splash out once or twice but why pay again "every" night?  What is wrong with the food in the MDRs?

Op said it was a 15day cruise.

the MDR menu's get recycled so you're going to see the same menu  twice.

speciality restaurants add variety to the MDR and buffet, which would be welcomed on a long cruise.

7 different MDR menus + 5 day sdp = 12 days.

3 days leftover to go back for your favorite MDR dishes.

also, OP -> if you havent already, buy 100 shares of NCL stock. on a 15day cruise that entitles you to $250 obc! 

you can use that obc to buy the sdp BUT only while onboard. so you pay a $10 penalty for buying while onboard instead of online. (you cant pay for anything you buy online with obc.)

Edited by fstuff1

24 minutes ago, casofilia said:

You're right! This is my usual thought process but since this is our first cruise over 7 nights we were thinking we'd get bored and started looking into the packages.

14 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

biggest % drop is going from 3day to 4day.

next is going from 4day to 5day.

3rd biggest is going from 7day to 8 day.

so 4day/5day/8day (in that order) are your best values.

im assuming you're on the Bliss since you mentioned Q. (Q is only on the Bliss.)

there are 6 speciality restaurants: cagneys, le bistro, Teppanyaki, Q, Los Lobos, and La Cuchina.

you can buy the 6day package and try each one but the 6day  sdp isnt one of the 'value' packages.

i personally would skip la cuchina so that leaves 5 restaurants, thus 5day sdp. 

Yes we're on the Bliss, thank you for your suggestions and break down! I'm thinking we'll either do 5 day or just do a la carte for only a couple of the restaurants that we're really interested in.

We were on the Dawn this past fall for 14 nights We had 4 night dining as a perk and 2 nights platinum. We were not impressed with the new menus in the specialty restaurants but loved the menus in the MDR. While Cagneys and le bistro were good, we hated  lacucina. We used to love Lacucina. Next time we will just stick with our 2 free platinums. The MDR meals had much more to our liking. Even appetizers and desserts changed each night.