Cruise Critic Community
spinnaker2

Rum & Revolution-live from the Spirit, February 22, San Juan to Ft. Lauderdale

Just a few days before we fly off to San Juan to board the Spirit!  We are looking forward to this brief sailing in the warmth of the Caribbean. The song "Havana" , as performed by Camila Cabello and many others at the Grammys, keeps percolating through my brain as I try and pack for this trip! 

36 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Just a few days before we fly off to San Juan to board the Spirit!  We are looking forward to this brief sailing in the warmth of the Caribbean. The song "Havana" , as performed by Camila Cabello and many others at the Grammys, keeps percolating through my brain as I try and pack for this trip! 

Love, Spins, your dramatic title of  "Rum & Revolution"!!  Sounds like super fun and such an exciting adventure.  Do lots of visual sharing.  Am happy to help in posting if you have any technical challenges from the ship.  

From visiting Cuba in March 2001, my favorite song played there was "Guantanamera".  Will this be your first visit to Cuba?  Will be following along and look forward as to your impression on the current level of Silversea service, standards and style as the affects of NCL's take-over creeps into the SS culture. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 62,950 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Awesome topic title Spins!  Have a safe trip down, soak up as much sun and warmth that you can, and enjoy your voyage immensely.  Look forward to following along.

Have not heard back, yet, from Spins as to whether or not this will be her first visit to Cuba. Know you super busy getting ready to depart, packing, etc.  BUT, for Candy or any others, I thought I would share a few "eye candy" sample/highlights from historic and charming Havana.  Look forward to seeing the details of your travel plan and pictures from your visiting in Cuba. 

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 43,770 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Here are a few visual samples from my 2001 visit to Havana, including their historic Catholic Cathedral, a cigar-making operation, etc.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

252163486_00147_n_9aeu76nwm11135.jpg.58557fb14148185a14c5232affaed129.jpg

2071422182_00310_n_9aeu76nwm12763.jpg.31bbea062faef00a16ebf40101b9db84.jpg

1582499648_00351_n_9aeu76nwm1317-Version26.jpg.b551283dabde79994cd3c20d21ca3b01.jpg

Havana's historic Hotel Nacional de Cuba, opened in 1939, is fun to visit.  At times, this hotel was home to mobsters Lucky Luciano and Meyer Lansky.:

1081882666_00340_n_9aeu76nwm13061.jpg.04696813a2fd32ac142bafea6c2968b0.jpg

Visiting Hemingway's home, Finca Vigía, outside of Havana is a nice connection to where he wrote some of famed classics and enjoy this country before Castro took over in 1959. He lived here for 21 years.:

1641781229_00180_n_9aeu76nwm11464.jpg.e2a863f29c37ec1cd687811f528b0302.jpg

The El Tropicana cabaret in Havana was one of our top, best highlights from the 2001 visit.  Dating back to 1939, this performance spectacular featured over 200 singers, dancers and musicians.  Amazing experience!!   If possible, catch this spectacular show!:

534110386_00289_n_9aeu76nwm12552.jpg.11051015c7da61ccaa18d4b7c06a3efe.jpg

Have a great trip.  We haven’t made it to Cuba yet, but it is on my list.

HI Candy and Larry;  Hope y'all have a terrific Caribbean voyage on the Spirit.

Enjoy Cuba--we last visited there last October on Regent and spent eight days there

a few years ago on a people to people trip.  Few snaps below; the colorful Mosaic

house (Fusterlandia), enjoying the terrific music, and the typical tourist photo of riding in a classic Chevy.

cuba 369.JPG

cuba 375.JPG

cuba 387.JPG

Thanks all for the good wishes and terrific photos.

We are at the airport waiting to board.

Up at 4 am to get here timely.

We left a very unhappy pooch.

Fortunately our daughter will come to the rescue!

Adios todos.

4 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Thanks all for the good wishes and terrific photos.

We are at the airport waiting to board.

Safe travels for Spins and DH!!  Yes, agree that Wes had some wonderful visuals reflecting the greatness of Cuba with its art, music and people.  Despite being under dire economic and political conditions during the past six decades, much has remained very positive and interesting as relates to aspects of Cuba's amazing culture, style and spirit.  Looking forward to following along as Candy explores these historic areas. 

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 44,399 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Just saw a news item on TV and then pulled up an older story from the Reuters newswire with this headline: “Cuba struggles to satisfy cigar demand after bad crops” with these highlights: “ Communist-led Cuba is struggling to maintain the supply of some premium cigar brands in the face of poor tobacco harvests and rising demand.  El Niño weather that brought excessive rains and unseasonable drought damaged all Cuban crops including the delicate tobacco plants needed for its signature product and fourth-biggest goods export.”

Hopefully, Spins, you were not planning on bringing back lots of high-end cigars for your friends in South Florida. 

Full story at:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cuba-cigars/cuba-struggles-to-satisfy-cigar-demand-after-bad-crops-idUSKBN16A2NU

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 233,880 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Good morning Spins, Bon Voyage and hope you have a wonderful cruise:classic_biggrin:

On 2/22/2019 at 8:26 AM, spinnaker2 said:

Adios todos.

αντίο όλα, surely?!!

Enjoy! I'm envious.

Ha ha ha Jolly. I can recognize some Greek, but I can't speak it.  Thanks Davey and Lois!

Terry no cigars for us. Yesterday one guy did light up outside the Panorama and it was windy enough even while in port to drive us away.

Lovely dinner last night in La Terrazza. Only 105 pax reserved the venue and it was quite empty.  Quiet and romantic. Warm enought to dine outside.

We did see many of the crew that we know from other voyages and also familiar faces among the pax.  Many new faces as well. 

It is a  wonderful hot and muggy sea day. Seabirds follow us and dive alongside for fish as we make our westerly course towards Cuba. Rolling swells and sea spray make for comforting sounds as we sail. Nothing on the horizon on the starboard side.  We will venture out soon, and I will let you know about the port side.

The ship is full. Many pax were waitlisted and feel lucky to be aboard.

As do we.

Vaya con Silversea!

31 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Lovely dinner last night in La Terrazza. Only 105 pax reserved the venue and it was quite empty.  Quiet and romantic. Warm enough to dine outside.  We did see many of the crew that we know from other voyages and also familiar faces among the pax.  Many new faces as well.   It is a  wonderful hot and muggy sea day. Seabirds follow us and dive alongside for fish as we make our westerly course towards Cuba. The ship is full. Many pax were waitlisted and feel lucky to be aboard.  As do we.  Vaya con Silversea!

Great update and wonderfully interesting details from Spins.  Sounds like an excellent adventure is commencing very well.  Looking forward to hearing more and learning additional specifics about the ship, SS and these exciting port stops. 

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling for "down under” wonders. Exciting visuals with key highlights.  On page 15, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 218,602 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

From the Associated Press (AP) newswire yesterday, they had this headline: “Cellphone internet access bringing changes fast to Cuba”  with these highlights: “In the 2 1/2 months since Cuba allowed its citizens internet access via cellphones, fast-moving changes are subtle but palpable as Cubans challenge government officials online, post photos of filthy school bathrooms and drag what was one of the world’s least-connected countries into the digital age. Communist authorities, in turn, are having to learn how to deal with more visible pressure coming from outside of party-controlled popular and neighborhood committees.”

Interesting and evolving situation in Cuba now as the pressures and opportunities, post-Castro, happen to open up their society, maybe, for the future.  Be interested as to what you pick up about the people in Cuba and how much "freedom" they will be allowed to access and hopefully enjoy. 

Full story at:

https://www.apnews.com/c9e4db10b9414c0cad9a2217177af39d

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 27,480 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Have a wonderful voyage Spins..... Look forward to some colourful photos and witty blog. Have fun.

Have a great cruise!  I hope and trust that we left the ship in good condition for you!

Bob

Keep having a wonderful time, Spins! I'll keep the snow and ice cold here, just in case you get tired of the tropics.

We are just off the coast of Cuba. Earlier we passed by Guantanamo but all was shrouded in mist and humidity. I tried to take a photograph but the camera said no. 

It is a glorious day.

We are to arrive around 1 pm at Santiago de Cuba and it is a tender port. A sail in party is on the schedule.

Yesterday the pool area and sunbeds were packed with people toasting in the sun. Many pax were very red by the afternoon.

Lunch at La Terrazza outside watching our azure wake with its lacey edges, just trailing behind us for awhile until the sea erased it from the surface. The feature on the menu was seafood, and lots of it on a huge bed of ice. We had a leisurely lunch with lots of rose. Perfect.

I was lucky enough to join a trivia team with many seasoned players. They interviewed me before I was permitted to be a member. Yikes, sort of like a rush party for a sorority. 

We did win! The new points cards are serious. no longer can you save them up and taked them home. They are specific to the ship you are on and not transferrable. At the end of the cruise should you wish to keep them for another day, you can trade them in for a certificate. 

It was formal night but we dined by the pool under the stars. Later we went to the Arts cafe for a truffle or two. 

How very sad that the points cards are not transferrable.  Have they improved the items you can acquire with points?  

58 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

We are just off the coast of Cuba. Earlier we passed by Guantanamo but all was shrouded in mist and humidity.   It is a glorious day.  We are to arrive around 1 pm at Santiago de Cuba and it is a tender port.   Yesterday the pool area and sunbeds were packed with people toasting in the sun. Many pax were very red by the afternoon.  Lunch at La Terrazza outside watching our azure wake with its lacey edges, just trailing behind us for awhile until the sea erased it from the surface. The feature on the menu was seafood, and lots of it on a huge bed of ice. We had a leisurely lunch with lots of rose. Perfect.    I was lucky enough to join a trivia team with many seasoned players. They interviewed me before I was permitted to be a member. Yikes, sort of like a rush party for a sorority. 

Super great update and details from Spins.  Sounds all fun and wonderful.  What's with doing interviews before being allowed on a trivia team???!!!  Have heard that the Internet is challenging on the ship.  Keep pushing with the Silversea IT people to loosen up on their system filters and controls to allow pictures to be uploaded.    

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 25,896 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

They interviewed you in order to join a trivia team? SERIOUSLY?:classic_blink:...…..now THAT sounds snobby  (In MY OPINION). Sorry for the caps......that is for emphasis, not yelling at anyone.  So if you didn't answer a question from them like they wanted, they were going to say, No, we don't want you on our team?:classic_angry: That just sounds plain ole MEAN to me.:classic_sad:

Glad you had a good lunch:classic_smile:

Hope I was not unclear,  if so iIapologize,

You can use your points on another cruise, just not the cards. I gather this is not to encourage people taking the cards which now resemble room keys.

one turns in the cards at the end of the cruise and gets a certificate to use on another cruise.

sorry for the confusion.

we have arrived in santiago de cuba.

Beautiful sail-in but earlier than expected. Which meant things did not go exactly as planned.

We are at anchor and there are tenders. This is because another ship, I believe it is the Epic, is at the dock where we were to be. The Epic if you are not aware, did a huge amount of damage ( many millions)to a dock that was just newly opened in Puerto Rico. Why that precludes us from being at the dock i havent a clue.

I did take a lot of photos, but i can not post them. I give up.

The view is of green lushly covered mountains and the water is very blue. I can hear roosters and loud boisterous music coming from land. Ay caramba.

Breakfast in Atlantide was lovely.

Early trivia, a winner for our group. No wonder I had to be interviewed.  🙂

18 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

have arrived in santiago de cuba.  Beautiful sail-in but earlier than expected. Which meant things did not go exactly as planned.  We are at anchor and there are tenders. This is because another ship, I believe it is the Epic, is at the dock where we were to be. The Epic if you are not aware, did a huge amount of damage ( many millions)to a dock that was just newly opened in Puerto Rico. Why that precludes us from being at the dock i havent a clue.

I did take a lot of photos, but i can not post them. I give up.

Nice update and details from Spins.  Interesting about the docking vs. tendering situation/challenges.  Keep pushing and asking the ship IT people.  Don't give up!!  Inquiring minds want and need to see the "good stuff". 

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 233,880 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923