Rum & Revolution-live from the Spirit, February 22, San Juan to Ft. Lauderdale

spinnaker2

3 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Dawn breaks and the sky is a beautful dark blue, just above the coastline there are ribbons of colors, a light purple, pink and golden yellow. Now I can see one of the reasons for the dark ribbons is a large chimney belching smoke into the sky.     Havana awaits! 

Great details and updating from Spins!!  Appreciate your sharing.  What are your plans for Havana?  Glad to read: "Captain announced we will overnight in Havana and some new evening tours were added. We have been told we will be docked, and this will make it so much easier for crew and pax to go ashore."

Evenings in Havana can be so wonderful as you soak up and experience the music, people, history, etc.  Looking forward to hearing more.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 44,450 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Amazing day in Havana.  Santiago and Cienfuegos were interesting, but Havana is in a class all by itself.  We had an 8 hour shore excursion and only scratched the surface of all the things to see here.  Being docked made it so much easier for everyone.  Crew was very excited to finally get off and see Cuba for themselves.  Our butler said he got about an hour in town.

• Like 1

Agree with we4.

Havana was extraordinary, at least the parts we saw.

We did a walking tour, our guide was excellent. Music was in the air, whether it was the colorful melodic lilt of the language, or street bands, dancers, and beautiful old buildings, Havana has a magic all its own.

I have been told that one may judge the economy of a city by counting the number of construction cranes; in Havana there were a good number. Does this signal a booming economy? 

This may not be a valid hypothesis in Cuba, as many of the buildings are in need of serious repair. 

The city of preparing for a celebration of its birthday, due at the end of 2019. 

The streets are crowded with cars and of course the antique vintage cars are everywhere. The most popular models are the 56 and 57 Chevy and the price for same, $70,000, cash. 

We didn't see a single Edsel.

The Spirit was docked just across the street from the old town and it was a perfect for walking about. 

Today is a sea day.  Sparkling blue water and warm breezes as our cruise comes to an end soon.

Edited by spinnaker2

12 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

The Spirit was docked just across the street from the old town and it was a perfect for walking about. 

Glad you enjoyed Havana and very pleased that at least some crew got some time ashore there.

I am curious about your “walking about” comment.

I understand that to go ashore initially in any port one *must* be on a Silversea tour with proper clearances (or have taken steps to have arranged a private tour with an approved tour operator).

If one is, say, on a morning tour and returns to the ship for lunch (and shower 🙂), can one simply go ashore in the afternoon to wander independently without participating in a tour?

Thanks. 

32 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Agree with we4.

Havana was extraordinary, at least the parts we saw.

We did a walking tour, our guide was excellent. Music was in the air, whether it was the colorful melodic lilt of the language, or street bands, dancers, and beautiful old buildings, Havana has a magic all its own.

I have been told that one may judge the economy of a city by counting the number of construction cranes; in Havana there were a good number. Does this signal a booming economy? 

This may not be a valid hypothesis in Cuba, as many of the buildings are in need of serious repair. 

The city of preparing for a celebration of its birthday, due at the end of 2019. 

The streets are crowded with cars and of course the antique vintage cars are everywhere. The most popular models are the 56 and 57 Chevy and the price for same, $70,000, cash. 

We didn't see a single Edsel.

Today is a sea day.  Sparkling blue water and warm breezes as our cruise comes to an end soon.

Well at least we know Spirit is still ready for the TA!

Edited by englishusa

obs. 

To answer your question, we did a tour in the morning which was to be 4 1/2 hours but was longer. it was history of Havana.

Your tour is to have a cultural moment.

Our cultural exchange was to see the American plane which was shot down. It, well parts of it, are on display at a park at the fort overlooking Havana. We heard the Cuban version of the events of the Cuban missile crisis with the caveat that of course there is another version. What was clear was that all the world was afraid of what might happen.

Our tour guide encouraged us to walk into the city later in the day and enjoy Havana on our own. She was very adamant that Cubans understand that people of any country do not represent the voice of their governments, and more specifically that Cubans recognize that American people/tourists are welcome and do not represent the political views of their government. 

Many pax and crew ventured into Havana without any tour and on their own. We did not, because we had been given the understanding that we needed an official tour, but what we did learn is that once you have done the obligatory tour, you can roam about. Of course there are places that are verboten, and they are listed in the paperwork you get from Silversea. 

Now having said all that, there was one instance of attempted intimidation on our return to the cruise port. The officer inspecting our passports and paperwork asked us if we had money for him to give to his babies. I wasn't sure I understood him so I said, "I beg your pardon, what did you say?", he replied "Now do you have any money to give me for my babies". He said the same thing to my husband. Both DH and I walked away without responding and no one stopped us from boarding the ship. That was kind of creepy.

today Bimini.

beautiful calm seas, the usual crowd toasting their skin by the pool. many pax are delighted to be going home a lovely shade of reddish brown.

a long tender into the port 45 minutes.

we stayed aboard and just enjoyed the Spirit.

we are just offshore of the coast of Florida, more specifically Hialeah.

we have enjoyed this cruise and our stops in Cuba. 

when i can i will post photos, albeit after the fact. adios todos y vaya con dios

• Like 2

After our 45 minute tender, we boarded a bus to travel to the first stop, the main square of Santiago de Cuba. Fidel gave a 5 hour speech here. In fact Fidel gave many 5 hour speeches (we learned in the next few days) and in many different locales.

This was the Church facing the main square. 

c4qTrWqCsHZuPq1kqkHEEyDbUdRDs2Ec7zy5jOWtUtiTQKRgOpewLE_EgGUEAa4I5n43dsmnl_X1LLRq0Uu00W4PIJtHY4XOly0VUVTzV1gg7470nB2UHuVDbsboDoedDw8pDg3Y2pQUcZKrS_Az9q8Kd6Qs4jzaIDz8XY32Qv-MBk56ZsPdYV-Oj6KRGPjVu6dBNrrQpVTdhPRhQ9IQadVjfNoZh8_W4YvSr2oniEBFL03E-hVWZAu-d0eemTJxVlOR_8IbKP9YcWHmi04mUfr-eHE2wb1QlYHWAK58SPBoENTOGS-Od9pIrgG1MEtt9z9M9MJsA4qtL7GGaWw91rpRNxkVHDxw4oOi9C5jSgU0xPa7Wa6rKpwcA_PwcFnFPpBLNkdtTjKYXeO4KB-a4h881avC8f1PrOUKOLOMCaz8FI6Hke1pS9q8p_D4Vf3XSSHO4XpAZY4vaqo9aWKkstFoNIqaN6qcWuSm1g7OldpY2T9R1stHhs-dhoyov_AH8yKrIdlM9aQjz7yqZRzB58fuD9SlbbsipiBj7p6ZlX8F1L7WPs6n59fSLG1-apNioiMKesSyJPtVt1hASzejh9b-gbQ3F1Xc11HP_nssC2dFkiz2oTOWQ5iS7kyAj0yHUGC30mJARsf813Ja3TMOdXzZE1xMgs_T=w1347-h899-no