food allergies and My Time dining

Cecilia V.

We will be sailing on Anthem of the Seas in August. My two daughters have severe food allergies and we wrote the Special Needs department to alert them.  They said that we should select traditional dining, but only late dining is available and that doesn't work for my elderly mother.

I know they want us to select a set dining time so that we will have the same waiters every night.  My question--if we have My Time Dining, can we schedule the same waiters for every night?  We cruised several years back and were able to have the same waiters every night when we had MTD.  Has something changed, or should this still be possible?

Thank you for your help.

I would leave it at MTD and when you get onboard go to the dinning room and request the same time each night. having the same waiter or in the same area shouldn't be an issue. Also know that they will want you to pre-order dinner the night before for both girls. 

We had MTD at a schedled (reserved beforevsailing) and was able to request the same table and waiter each night. Luckily, they were available each night with limited wait. Thing about MTD, the kitchen/galley is different than the TDRs where the dietary needs could be met more than MTD galley. This is on Liberty.

19 minutes ago, spookwife said:

They will make every effort to get you the same set of wait staff and the same time frame

This is what I remember from when we cruised in 2010. But, I got concerned when their email said we should select traditional dining to get the same waiters. So, I wasn't sure if things were different now with MTD than they used to be.  

So, to clarify, with MTD, they will still work with us to get us the same wait staff each night?

I really appreciate your help; it is stressful dining with food allergies.

12 minutes ago, ggtjr said:

. Thing about MTD, the kitchen/galley is different than the TDRs where the dietary needs could be met more than MTD galley. This is on Liberty.

I know that there is a special kitchen where they prepare the special meals for those with allergies.  Are you saying that, if we have MTD, that the meals wouldn't be prepared in that special kitchen?

1 minute ago, ggtjr said:

On our All Access Tour, the galley mentioned that certain areas in the TDR galley took care of allergies if special needs let them know. Not sure of MTD.

Anthem has a completely different layout than Liberty, so I would not expect the galley to have the same layout either.

To the OP, MTD on Anthem will be in American Icon Grill and Silk.  I would go talk to them once you board to make sure your reservation is flagged.  I have seen many people with allergies in MTD on Anthem, so I would not worry about not getting the same waitstaff, they will make sure you do.  The first night will be slower since you can't order in advance, but it will be fine after that.  I have seen a Head Waiter take over every aspect of the meal for a large table of kids with allergies.  Your child's meal will be prepared safely.

Also know that Anthem has a great gluten free area at the back of the WJ.  Everything is labeled either gluten free, dairy free, etc.  They also cook to order back there too.  Make sure you make yourself known to the chef in the WJ and they will take care of your family there too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Also- the first day, as soon as you board, go to the dining area and see if you can switch times to early dining.  I’ve heard that this works sometimes.

Honestly, I don't like the early or late traditional dining times.  I like MTD and don't mind picking the same time each night. I was just hoping to hear that they can deal with food allergies in MTD (so I don't have to pick a traditional dining time).

13 hours ago, Cecilia V. said:

Honestly, I don't like the early or late traditional dining times.  I like MTD and don't mind picking the same time each night. I was just hoping to hear that they can deal with food allergies in MTD (so I don't have to pick a traditional dining time).

they can and will go out of their way for you.  no worries

We have cruised twice on RCL ships with our son who has some severe food allergies and never had a problem with MTD.  We usually go speak to Guest Services and the head Maitre'd (sp?) and they make a note of it on his card (in their system).  We then talk to our waiter the first night and let them know.  We used MTD and tried to book dinner around the same time each night (within 30-60 minutes) and it worked fine.

With MTD you aren't guaranteed to get seated at the same table, however we told the Maitre' d on both ships that we would prefer to be at the same table if available, and we were always seated with the same waiters.  While we were eating the head waiter would always come by and make sure my son had what he needed.  They would then give us a menu for the following day for him to fill out (he always at steak so it wasn't that difficult).  RCL and their waitstaff couldn't have been more accommodating and it was never an issue.  They actually went out of their way on both ships to make sure he had everything he wanted/needed and had good meals.