Carry On Luggage

bradbarbour1985

4 minutes ago, bradbarbour1985 said:

That's not true though. They're closed but if you have FTTF or VIP status you just open them up.

OK then you would be leaving your unattended bag with all of your valuables, documents, and medications (as that is what is normally carried on) in a hallway were others could have access to it.  Not a wise idea IMO and as it is a carry on, I agree with the suggestion to keep it with you for the short time from when you board until when your stateroom is ready.  Even with early boarding that is normally not more than a couple of hours.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 3

Just now, bradbarbour1985 said:

I'm thinking I'd keep my backpack with my "valuables" but just drop my suitcase.  That'd be the same as the crew leaving outside the door (in my mind at least) and I'd have it way sooner.  Appreciate the feedback!

Didn't realize you meant all of your luggage.  In that case I guess you could leave it outside of your room, or if the stateroom attendant is there, maybe in your room.

You would have to be packing pretty light and in small luggage, however, as anything carried on board with you has to fit through the check in security scanners, which are of a similar size to that of the airports for carry on luggage.

To me carrying all my luggage on board - regardless of having it in my stateroom sooner - would not be worth the hassle.  I would rather check it in with the porters and get it when I get it.  Just my opinion.

Depending upon several variables, you may of may not have a concern. With high status, you get early access to your room;  depending upon the ship/line your cabin might be ready when you board; depending upon what time you board, all cabins might be accessible.  Every  cruise I’ve sailed, ALL cabins were accessible by 1:00 PM. 

43 minutes ago, bradbarbour1985 said:

I know that once I board the stateroom won't be ready.  However instead of carrying your luggage around until it is, can you just put it outside of the door of your stateroom in the meantime?

Hi

I don't know why you are asking this question on this forum. 

You have said in your other posts (on the Carnival forum) that you have purchased FTTF through Carnival. This allows you access to your cabin once you board. Your cabin will be ready. Do not leave your luggage in the hallway, it would only be in the way. The cabin stewards are still cleaning other people's cabins. If you haven't purchased FTTF or have VIP status, you are not allowed in the cabin areas until they are all ready.

This is a link to Carnival's site telling you what you get for your FTTF purchase. https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1374/~/faster-to-the-fun-(fttf)

hope this helps

have a great cruise

9 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

I don't know why you are asking this question on this forum. 

You have said in your other posts (on the Carnival forum) that you have purchased FTTF through Carnival. This allows you access to your cabin once you board. Your cabin will be ready. Do not leave your luggage in the hallway, it would only be in the way. The cabin stewards are still cleaning other people's cabins. If you haven't purchased FTTF or have VIP status, you are not allowed in the cabin areas until they are all ready.

This is a link to Carnival's site telling you what you get for your FTTF purchase. https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1374/~/faster-to-the-fun-(fttf)

hope this helps

have a great cruise

We canceled our FTTF.  That's why I'm asking.

2 minutes ago, bradbarbour1985 said:

Hi

Then, I think I answered your question.

just thought I would add...why don't you just arrive around 12:30-1 p.m., by the time you get on your ship, the cabins will be ready.

hope this helps

Edited by Nic6318
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, bradbarbour1985 said:

Then no you cannot go to your cabin until it is ready.  Just don’t carry on more than you can handle until the rooms are ready.

The poor stewards have a hard enough time trying to get all the cabins ready without people disregarding the rules just to drop off bags....

• Like 1

We travel with a large suitcase which is checked through to our final destination.

We also take a rollaboard since we have at least one connecting flight and there have been times the large suitcases have been delayed. We spend a few days in departure city prior to cruise and have (fingers crossed) always received bags before leaving for port. Although we still need clothing for the days in port city.

We have changes of clothing and swimming costumes in rollaboard. We have usually been able to leave rollaboard in cabin as soon as we embark, ( even if steward still awaiting supervisor check) . We might not be able to have full cabin acces till 1 PM but stewards happy for us to drop bag and leave.

Always, always keep valuables with us in handbag/ backpack until we can access the safe.

DO NOT enter the hallways or leave your luggage outside of your door.  Aside from the obvious risks (theft, moved luggage, etc.), it will be in the way of the stewards who are working so hard to get EVERYONE'S cabins ready.  You will slow them down, get in their way, and honestly make it harder for everyone else.  I'm not sure why you would think that you could leave your luggage outside of your door, unless this is your first cruise.  If everyone did this, there would be absolutely no way for the stewards to get through to get their rooms ready by 1:30.

The stewards may say that they are happy to have you leave your luggage there, but they aren't.  It gets in their way.  They aren't going to tell you "no," though.  

If you carry your luggage on, keep it with you.  To enter the hallways and leave your luggage amounts to basically stealing a perk that you have no right to, since you gave up your FTTF.

• Like 3

On 2/19/2019 at 8:37 PM, bradbarbour1985 said:

That's not true though. They're closed but if you have FTTF or VIP status you just open them up.

On 2/19/2019 at 8:41 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

OK then you would be leaving your unattended bag with all of your valuables, documents, and medications (as that is what is normally carried on) in a hallway were others could have access to it.  Not a wise idea IMO and as it is a carry on, I agree with the suggestion to keep it with you for the short time from when you board until when your stateroom is ready.  Even with early boarding that is normally not more than a couple of hours.

The OP said they gave up FTTF so it doesn't apply to them, but with FTTF and D/P status you also get immediate room access so items can (and should) be left in the cabin not the hall.

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

The OP said they gave up FTTF so it doesn't apply to them, but with FTTF and D/P status you also get immediate room access so items can (and should) be left in the cabin not the hall.

I realize that - but if your read my full responses and the timing of them I was responding to what they said which did not indicated they had - or gave up - FTTF and was also prior to them indicating that they would keep their valuables with them.

18 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I realize that - but if your read my full responses and the timing of them I was responding to what they said which did not indicated they had - or gave up - FTTF and was also prior to them indicating that they would keep their valuables with them.

Since you had quoted a post about FTTF/priority boarding I thought that is what you were responding to.  You stated that items would be unattended in a hallway.  My experience with FTTF was we had immediate cabin access and left any belongings in our cabin (since we had our S/S card) and not outside in the hall.

My post was intended to provide clarification to others who might read this thread (that do have immediate cabin access) that they would not have to leave their items in the hallway. 

We've had luggage extremely delayed before, so like the option of carrying everything onboard with us directly to the cabin.  Full-size luggage does fit the scanners (length does not matter), and Carnival guidelines state that all luggage is to meet the dimensions for the scanner - not just carry-on.

I cruise Holland America Line - they manage to get all the staterooms ready by the time guests board at 11:30 a.m.  There's none of this nonsense so many other lines put their passengers through.  I figure if HAL can do it, so can the others - they just choose not to.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

I cruise Holland America Line - they manage to get all the staterooms ready by the time guests board at 11:30 a.m.  There's none of this nonsense so many other lines put their passengers through.  I figure if HAL can do it, so can the others - they just choose not to.

Sue/WDW1972

I really believe it has to do with a cutback of people who do the cleaning. If they can get by with just the regular cabin stewards doing the job, they will, even though it's at the cost of making people wait longer to get to their cabins. 

2 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Sue/WDW1972

HA doesn’t have ships that carry 6,000 passengers. They also don’t really cater to families - sometimes cabins are really a mess and need a lot of work. HA has an older demographic and probably mostly older couples as their clients; big difference than parents and kids, or four younger people in a room.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 2:04 PM, Grandma Dazzles said:

HA doesn’t have ships that carry 6,000 passengers. They also don’t really cater to families - sometimes cabins are really a mess and need a lot of work. HA has an older demographic and probably mostly older couples as their clients; big difference than parents and kids, or four younger people in a room.

Good point(s) - and that's exactly why I stick with HAL!  I'd stay home before I'd be cruising those mega ships, with all the kids on board.  Bottom line, we all find the line we're comfortable with, and for me it's HAL...has been since I was in my 30's and my son was 10 or so.  

Sue/WDW1972

On 2/23/2019 at 10:15 AM, floridalover5623 said:

We just go to our assigned cabin & drop off the luggage in the closet area and put the valuables in the safe. It doesn't disturb anyone cleaning the cabin & most importantly, we don't have to lug it around until the cabin is ready.

So the BIG signs posted on the closed doors that says no one is allowed to enter until the rooms are ready only applies to everyone else??

Sorry but in my opinion it really is inconsiderate to the poor room stewards who are working feverishly to get the rooms turned around in a timely manner.

So glad most everyone else tries to follow the rules.....

• Like 5