Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
marylander2

EDGE, EDEN, MAGIC CARPET: AN UNBIASED REVIEW

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

 

I think I equate an IV cabin to the difference between being out on my back porch and enjoying the breeze vs. sitting by the open living room window and looking out.  Without another open window/door, there's no breeze.  Much like a happy dog, I like a steady breeze (my own personal summer = also traveling with little USB powered fan to use on every ship's nightstand).  :classic_biggrin:

 

 

That does sound like a good way of describing it.  For me personally I don't think I would mind one bit, but I could see how others would not like it.  I'm often just happy with an ocean view cabin (big window).  I would rather be up on deck than sitting on my balcony.  So for me the window lowering down is pretty awesome.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, eroller said:

 

 

That does sound like a good way of describing it.  For me personally I don't think I would mind one bit, but I could see how others would not like it.  I'm often just happy with an ocean view cabin (big window).  I would rather be up on deck than sitting on my balcony.  So for me the window lowering down is pretty awesome.  

By the description of the infinity verandahs, Im sure they will suit us too. We love to look at the ocean, but never actually spend a lot of time on our balconies on the S class ships. We love the idea of the verandah on the Edge making the room larger when the doors are opened up.

We are actually pretty bored with the S class ships. We cant wait for May when we sail the Edge in the Med.

There has been an element of mass hysteria on these posts and reviews regarding the IVs (a "disaster" according to some). Talk about first world "problems"!

Obviously different strokes for different folks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, poffles said:

I want to add that the free cabins were not only to high rollers, my friend who got the free inside room is FARRRRRRRRRRRR from that, is one tier from the bottom on their scale of players and qualifies for next to nothing so that should tell you something.

 

Edited to add that I am totally good with that !!!!!  I get to sail the Edge for free (well 220 taxes for the two of us) WOOT WOOT!  Hang tight for my thoughts in 4 weeks from Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

 

 

And there appears to be quite a few pax who were offered the ‘free’ casino offer on Edge. Just look at the amount who have posted they received it on CC and as folk keep stating, we’re only a very small percentage of actually cruisers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, eroller said:

 

 

That does sound like a good way of describing it.  For me personally I don't think I would mind one bit, but I could see how others would not like it.  I'm often just happy with an ocean view cabin (big window).  I would rather be up on deck than sitting on my balcony.  So for me the window lowering down is pretty awesome.  

 

 

You live in FL. For some of us, it’s the only chance of feeling that warm breeze on our faces. If I pay for a balcony, I want to be able to sit out on it, in my own personal paradise and feel that breeze - not interested in fighting for a bed up top with hundreds of other pax. Now if I was used to booking oceanviews, great - I can now lower my usual window I sit in front of. Perhaps Edge will be full of millennials from FL :classic_rolleyes:?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 59impala said:

By the description of the infinity verandahs, Im sure they will suit us too. We love to look at the ocean, but never actually spend a lot of time on our balconies on the S class ships. We love the idea of the verandah on the Edge making the room larger when the doors are opened up.

We are actually pretty bored with the S class ships. We cant wait for May when we sail the Edge in the Med.

There has been an element of mass hysteria on these posts and reviews regarding the IVs (a "disaster" according to some). Talk about first world "problems"!

Obviously different strokes for different folks.

 

Sounds like you and I are on the same wavelength and will be just fine with the IV's.  Enjoy EDGE in May.  It's always exciting sailing on a new class of ship.  So much to discover!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, villauk said:

 

 

You live in FL. For some of us, it’s the only chance of feeling that warm breeze on our faces. If I pay for a balcony, I want to be able to sit out on it, in my own personal paradise and feel that breeze - not interested in fighting for a bed up top with hundreds of other pax. Now if I was used to booking oceanviews, great - I can now lower my usual window I sit in front of. Perhaps Edge will be full of millennials from FL :classic_rolleyes:?

 

 

Fair enough, and the great thing about this industry is that there are literally hundreds of cruise ships to choose from, and they all have the style balcony you like.  Right now only one ship doesn't, so just avoid it.  Problem solved.  

 

As for millennials from Florida I have no idea.  I'm not a millennial but the IV balconies are very attractive to me.  I do know Celebrity (along with pretty much every other cruise line) is courting millennials and looking for that next generation cruiser.  Hopefully EDGE will take Celebrity to where it needs to go in order to survive and thrive for decades to come.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, poffles said:

I want to add that the free cabins were not only to high rollers, my friend who got the free inside room is FARRRRRRRRRRRR from that, is one tier from the bottom on their scale of players and qualifies for next to nothing so that should tell you something.

 

Edited to add that I am totally good with that !!!!!  I get to sail the Edge for free (well 220 taxes for the two of us) WOOT WOOT!  Hang tight for my thoughts in 4 weeks from Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

 

How much do I need to gamble to get to tier two in the casino?  If I remember correctly, your average penny machine has a 15% house advantage, where a $100 machine has a 4% advantage.  Might be cheaper to get on Edge by playing the $1 or $5 machines on Eclipse in a couple months!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eroller said:

 

Sounds like you and I are on the same wavelength and will be just fine with the IV's.  Enjoy EDGE in May.  It's always exciting sailing on a new class of ship.  So much to discover!  

I was on the EDGE in January (cabin 8222/IV) and thought it was great.  The IV is different but it gave a whole new feel to the cabin that I enjoyed.  The meals were fantastic and the ship design/layout a very nice change.  Plenty of space to move and relax.  We went to most of the entertainment and, by and large, thought it was pretty good.  We weren’t too fussy about the evening performance(s) in Eden, kind of struck us as a low-budget take on Cirque de Soleil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

 

How much do I need to gamble to get to tier two in the casino?  If I remember correctly, your average penny machine has a 15% house advantage, where a $100 machine has a 4% advantage.  Might be cheaper to get on Edge by playing the $1 or $5 machines on Eclipse in a couple months!

 

I wouldn't 'gamble' on that ... I am same tier and I didn't get any offer.  I got an email from them a year or so ago and thought nothing of it but it was just to show me I could call them to book a cruise but meant nothing to me.  My friend has never ever heard anything from them ... NOTHING .. until this offer came in the mail and she really did think there had to be a catch to it.  It took a few cruises to get to that level for sure as I think it's 2,500 points which seems like a lot to me but guess when you consider it is counting spins which would be more than the base amount one deposits 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, marylander2 said:

I think the core problem - and the key difference between Solstice and Edge in their early sailings in terms of reviews - is the IV cabins. No matter how people meh'd or booed Solstice novelties, the staterooms on her were about the same (ok, with minor tweaks) compared to M-ships.

Edge's IV concept is a major flop, X fell face down with it, let's admit it. Only a handful of reviewers that I've read were neutral or positive about the IV staterooms. Overwhelming majority is totally pffffting it.

This is what makes the bulk of "3 out of 5" star rating for Edge, and this is something that cannot be changed; it is not K Hoppen rocking chair in the suites...

This will determine Edge's fate, I believe.

My IV cabin was in no way a balcony.  But I liked the cabin except for obstruction view.

That said would I move furniture around to close the bifold doors? No way

Would I sail again on this ship? Have to be  half the price. Not worth it.

we sail Hal in a suite for much less in the fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, poffles said:

 

I wouldn't 'gamble' on that ... I am same tier and I didn't get any offer.  I got an email from them a year or so ago and thought nothing of it but it was just to show me I could call them to book a cruise but meant nothing to me.  My friend has never ever heard anything from them ... NOTHING .. until this offer came in the mail and she really did think there had to be a catch to it.  It took a few cruises to get to that level for sure as I think it's 2,500 points which seems like a lot to me but guess when you consider it is counting spins which would be more than the base amount one deposits 🙂

 

Maybe she's higher up within that tier, and you're next on the list.  You two can do a B2B! 🏝️👍🧟‍♀️🧚‍♀️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who think this is the most popular ship, I disagree.  Many empty cabins in basically all levels.

This was a good thing for a large number of cabins on deck 8 as they has a terrible sewage smell.  I walked the hallways and it was present for at least 3 days.

Hopefully these people could move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My two cents on IVs.  I think the real problem is the word "veranda."  A veranda leads one to believe you are "outside."  The IVs on Edge are not "outside" like traditional balconies (verandas) are.  They have merely extended the cabins slightly and added a large window that opens.  

 

For me, it's not a question of the cabin is good or bad, it's about perception.  When I hear veranda, I think I'm going to be outside.  That's just not the case with the Edge IVs.   As a long time cruiser, I'll never sail in an IV.  I enjoy the standard balcony/veranda far too much.  The IVs, in my opinion, are not comparable no matter what they call it.  Maybe they should consider not calling these rooms "verandas" of any kind.  It's all about delivering on expectations.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marylander2 ~ I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share you in-depth review.  I know the amount of time it takes to share this type of detailed review.  THANKS SO MUCH....please remember to submit it our REVIEWS section if you haven't already done so.

 

I agreed with so many of your observations and you even gave more in-depth reasons that I thought of about the ship.  The only are I probably disagree with is the stations in the Oceanview Cafe.  They are nearly identical to the S-class ship in the number and placement of stations.  In fact, if you factor in that they moved the pizza making area to the aft portion of Edge, there are more stations than the S-class ships.  Agree that the space can get very crowded but I've yet to be in any buffet area on any ship that doesn't get this way at peak times.  I also stuck to things like the rotisserie area and the omelet station where things are made from scratch and we thought the food was very good considering this is essentially a buffet area.  But then again, food it probably the most subjective thing on a ship.

 

THANKS again for the thorough review.  I know our members very much appreciate it like I do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, marylander2 said:

I think the core problem - and the key difference between Solstice and Edge in their early sailings in terms of reviews - is the IV cabins. No matter how people meh'd or booed Solstice novelties, the staterooms on her were about the same (ok, with minor tweaks) compared to M-ships.

Edge's IV concept is a major flop, X fell face down with it, let's admit it. Only a handful of reviewers that I've read were neutral or positive about the IV staterooms. Overwhelming majority is totally pffffting it.

This is what makes the bulk of "3 out of 5" star rating for Edge, and this is something that cannot be changed; it is not K Hoppen rocking chair in the suites...

This will determine Edge's fate, I believe.

Yes that is the difference between Edge and Solstice, and for that matter any other ship sailing now on any cruise line.  Only Edge (and then Apex) will have IV's.  But I'm not sure I would "admit it" as you say and call the IV concept a major flop just yet.  There are quite a few people who are positive about IV cabins after they tried them.  Why dismiss a new concept and new technology so early in its life?  In a year or two if Edge is sailing half empty even with prices slashed then I would agree that it is a major flop.  Or if Celebrity cancels the third Edge-Class ship.  Both would be actual signs.  But people with negative views on cruise critic about a new ship or concept - Nah that never happens here!

Edited by TeeRick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2019 at 5:58 AM, Gracie115 said:

 

 

I've also been sailing Celebrity since well before the "M" class debuted and I must say that I never read the kind of negative reviews you are referring to and the "S" class had amazing reviews, and in fact, for us, brought us BACK to Celebrity after having stayed away for 4-5 years.  The Edge reviews are much more negative at this point than for either of the other classes. 

I don’t recall the kind of negative reviews of S class when they debuted either. There was a spike in negative reviews when Reflection launched because they added cabins & cut down the size if the Sky Lounge forward.there was one poster in particular who railed against S class, which resulted in pages of responses, mostly in opposition to his views.

i agree, the negative reviews of Edge are alarming.

To me, the lack of a balcony alone is a deal breaker; particulary with the inflated fares of Edge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Caymus88 said:

Edge is not sailing full. There have been many empty cabins

Usually a new ship is fully booked with a waiting list.

Casinos were able to offer basically free cabins to high rollers

X needs to tweak a lot

There are 6 Edge sailings currently listed on Celebrity’s weekly specials, with bslcony prices at about $1800 per person for a 7 night sailing, so I guess they are not selling out. To me that’s still a bit high for a night cruise.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, richsea said:

There are 6 Edge sailings currently listed on Celebrity’s weekly specials, with bslcony prices at about $1800 per person for a 7 night sailing, so I guess they are not selling out. To me that’s still a bit high for a night cruise.

 

 

 

 

Much less than I paid. My TA said people were cancelling. And his office got a free early cruise. They didn’t think the I V was a true balcony either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Caymus88 said:

For those who think this is the most popular ship, I disagree.  Many empty cabins in basically all levels.

This was a good thing for a large number of cabins on deck 8 as they has a terrible sewage smell.  I walked the hallways and it was present for at least 3 days.

Hopefully these people could move.

Smell present on deck 9 also...week of 1/27 cruise.

 

We were fine with the Inf Veranda,,.. it was like a  little sunroom..We had a nice bathroom in AQ class,  We thought the beds are too big for cabin size..and the setee was too low to the ground with scratchy covering. We had the fake coral and " do not add water"  vase removed. Decorated with flowers to perk it up!

 

We had a good time...food was excellent,  and thermal suites lovely. Music was ok..some shows better than others, great deck party,  and we avoided the  EDEN show. The space itself is nice...hope they re purpose it.

 

 We are going back in Nov.   Hope they  abate wind  and lack of shade issues up top....and do something about the terrible acoustics all over.   A work in progress!

 

Looking forward to a Sunset Veranda and non AQ Class experience!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hcat said:

Smell present on deck 9 also...week of 1/27 cruise.

 

We were fine with the Inf Veranda,,.. it was like a  little sunroom..We had a nice bathroom in AQ class,  We thought the beds are too big for cabin size..and the setee was too low to the ground with scratchy covering. We had the fake coral and " do not add water"  vase removed. Decorated with flowers to perk it up!

 

We had a good time...food was excellent,  and thermal suites lovely. Music was ok..some shows better than others, great deck party,  and we avoided the  EDEN show. The space itself is nice...hope they re purpose it.

 

 We are going back in Nov.   Hope they  abate wind  and lack of shade issues up top....and do something about the terrible acoustics all over.   A work in progress!

 

Looking forward to a Sunset Veranda and non AQ Class experience!

Did you get a ‘deal’. I won’t pay the inflated prices again

Even though it was a better experience than some others

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caymus88 said:

Did you get a ‘deal’. I won’t pay the inflated prices again

Even though it was a better experience than some others

We never seem to get any deals. We booked  a while after EDGE debuted, and paid  more than "normal prices" for our AQ cabin, as well as  for our  EDGE Sunset Veranda on  the upcoming Nov cruise( which we booked even later) . We had/ have one perk (Classic) and  no OBC...other than trading in Royal points.

 

Paying more than expected as well for Summit post refurb for a nice itin to Newport Bermuda and Charleston...in a reg balc cabin ....It's all about the ports on this one! I think we got the Classic, maybe OBC and $100 discount...would not consider this a deal either.

 

I felt the  EDGE AQ price was worth it for the Thermal Suite inclusion, etc. and of course BLU,,,but we only got to use the TS once  because we  were too busy ; and although BLU  food was excellent and we had great waitstaff, we thought having no view was terrible and the BLU acoustics were almost unbearable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunset Verandas are very nice, but you have to be able to enjoy walking a great distance, along with loving the aft.  I believe they will become more popular due to the IV's, but it will be interesting to see how the prices fluctuate.  There is a much smaller finite number of them, so time will time.  Personally, I booked an SV because the suites were 16,000 for two, and I had heard VT and others comment on how it was very nice and the hit of one cabin crawl.  Furthermore, they are just smaller than the suites, but the aft is still the same...Luminae and the retreat are not that impressive to me on Edge Class, but much more so on S Class.  I always have been able to monitor and adjust, so for me the SV was a no-brainer.  I see other passengers doing the same thing, either changing cabin classes or just avoiding Edge at this time.

Edited by Lastdance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We  too jumped on the  EDGE SV bandwagon...By the time we booked it, AQ class was very popular and  moving out of our price range...and we  wanted to try something different anyhow.

 

 Turns out we really liked the one we saw on our 1/27 cabin crawl.... and are looking forward to it.

 

The long walk will be our daily exercise!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, villauk said:

 

 

And there appears to be quite a few pax who were offered the ‘free’ casino offer on Edge. Just look at the amount who have posted they received it on CC and as folk keep stating, we’re only a very small percentage of actually cruisers!

 

Early statements from Celebrity said Edge was a special ship and they would not discount original prices or offer deals to include "move up".   Instead, they would sail without being full.   Now "free" cabins--only 3 months out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know someone who was offered a ^free^ cabin.   But they would not travel in an inside cabin so didn’t accept.

Even with the casino offer, there were many unsold cabins on my cruise. 2/10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • NCL Sail-Away Giveaway Sweepstakes - Win a 7-Day Cruise on Norwegian Joy!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...