Cruise Critic Community
Jayers

To do in Southhampton for less than a day

I’m doing b2b cruise NYC-southhampton then back to NYC, so I’ll just have the turn around day in Southhampton. Any recommendations? Cunard doesn’t have excursions for Southhampton listed. Does anyone know what may be offered or offered locally?

The usual offering is Salisbury  (historic little city with amazing cathedral) plus Stonehenge.

You can do the same independently using the train to Salisbury (half-hourly service, 35 minute journey, about £11 return) then Stonehenge Tour bus from Salisbury to Stonehenge (buy your Stonehenge tickets from the bus driver, no need for "timed" admission) - tour bus round trip to Stonehenge takes about an hour, plus such time as you want at Stonehenge (60 to 90 minutes is normal), then such time as you have to spare in Salisbury before the train back to Southampton. Do check your back-on-board time to be sure you have time to do it independently.

Or take the train to Winchester (about 15 mins). Another historic city with a very old cathedral.

Southampton isn't a tourist city but there's enough to keep a visitor occupied for a day.

In the walled city (close to most cruise terminals) the Medieval Merchant's House and some nice pubs.

Or at the top end of the city centre, Sea City museum, which majors on Titanic.

Sorry, no links - I'm travelling and relying on an old and recalcitrant I-Pad, so google those options.

BTW only one h in Southampton

JB :classic_smile:

I highly recommend visiting Salisbury and its magnificent Cathedral.  Those are worth the visit alone, but an added bonus is that the Cathedral is home to one of only four original copies of (the) Magna Carta; take the time to listen to one of the docents tell you about it. It's a magnificent experience.  And, as John Bull says, you can also see Stonehenge on the same day.

Given the other options, I would not spend the day in Southampton.  We did enjoy the Titanic exhibit at the Sea City Museum, but that's only part of a day.   (The Tudor House was closed when we were there, so I can't speak to that.)

https://www.salisburycathedral.org.uk/

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/

https://seacitymuseum.co.uk/

https://tudorhouseandgarden.com/

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

Or Portsmouth?

I was surprised that JB did not mention that.  The OP is sailing in and out on the day in question.  Would there be sufficient time? 

I took the Southampton walking tour that meets at Bargate in the town centre. You can google it as I can’t remember whether it was free or a small nominal fee. Between DW shopping and the tour it was a good way to spend a few hours off the ship.

Portsmouth is a great outing. Did it last year. You can walk through the shopping district to the train station. It's about a 30 minute ride, get off and walk to the Maritime Museum. It's a great museum. We had lunch in a pub, got back on the train, back to Southampton a stroll around the walls. Drinks in a pub. Back to ship. We did not leave until about 10:00 pm. So u might want to pass on the stroll around Southampton.

On 2/21/2019 at 6:35 AM, Turtles06 said:

I was surprised that JB did not mention that.  The OP is sailing in and out on the day in question.  Would there be sufficient time? 

That's the problem.

To do justice to only the Historic Dockyard and Ships needs most of a day - and Portsmouth/Southsea has so much more to offer.

Even Salisbury + Stonehenge DIY depends on back-on-board time. 

Which might be as early as 3.30pm.

If you'd rather not leave Southampton, an alternative--take the ferry over to Isle of Wight to visit Osborne House, Queen Victoria's favorite residence.  I haven't done that myself, but would consider it.  I just like walking around Southampton--old ruins, bombed out church, the office that sold Titanic tickets, etc.  Also, there's a big mall near the hotels and main street if shopping interests you.

Thank you everyone for your helpful answers.

13 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

If you'd rather not leave Southampton, an alternative--take the ferry over to Isle of Wight to visit Osborne House, Queen Victoria's favorite residence.

This is a good idea.

But if someone would rather not leave Southampton, then they might not be happy to leave Southampton by taking the ferry over to the Isle of Wight.

In particular, if the reason for not leaving Southampton is the risk that they might get stuck and not be able to get back, then they may not want to run the risk of being stuck on the Isle of Wight and not being able to get back to Southampton because the ferries have stopped running for some reason.

None of the risks are particularly high, but some form of surface transport is likely to be able to get you back from Portsmouth or Salisbury to Southampton. In contrast, if the ferries from the Isle of Wight stop running, then you are pretty much stuck.

9 hours ago, Globaliser said:

This is a good idea.

But if someone would rather not leave Southampton, then they might not be happy to leave Southampton by taking the ferry over to the Isle of Wight.

In particular, if the reason for not leaving Southampton is the risk that they might get stuck and not be able to get back, then they may not want to run the risk of being stuck on the Isle of Wight and not being able to get back to Southampton because the ferries have stopped running for some reason.

None of the risks are particularly high, but some form of surface transport is likely to be able to get you back from Portsmouth or Salisbury to Southampton. In contrast, if the ferries from the Isle of Wight stop running, then you are pretty much stuck.

The OP was asking about what there was to do on her turnaround day.  Isle of Wight is much closer to S'hampton than suggested trip by train or bus to Salisbury or Portsmouth (there might be delays due to accident etc if one goes very far, unless one takes the train).  It's been my observation that ferries run frequently over to Isle of Wight.  We've been in Southampton many times and never noticed ferries sitting idle due to bad weather (in which case a prudent person would stay on the ship).  The ride is mostly down the protected part of the Solent; less than 2 miles is over what one might call open water.  The Isle is less than 1-2 miles from mainland England.  Obviously if it looks like bad weather, it would be prudent not to go over there.  Since "Victoria" has been airing on PBS for some time, I thought the OP might be interested in seeing one of Victoria's homes.  As opposed to my first suggestion of sightseeing in the old part of S'hampton which involves a lot of walking.  A further recommendation would be to take the bus to Winchester and visit its magnificent cathedral and walk around the quaint area around it.  Winchester is 12 miles away; Salisbury is 23 miles away; Portsmouth is 22 miles away.

1 hour ago, BarbinMich said:

It's been my observation that ferries run frequently over to Isle of Wight.  We've been in Southampton many times and never noticed ferries sitting idle due to bad weather

I can see Osborne House from my balcony, and the ferries plying back & forth all day.

It doesn't take exceptionally bad weather to interrupt the hi-speed ferries or hovercraft, but yes the car ferries (and it's the Red Funnel car ferry to East Cowes that's easiest for Osborne House) are exceptionally reliable. 

Heavy early-morning fog can reduce frequency, but it takes truly exceptional weather to stop the service - the sort of weather when you wouldn't even consider stepping out of your own front door.

There's been the occasional interruption for other reasons, such as damage to the loading ramp but one simply switches to the hi-speed ferry. 

The absence of a Plan B for returning to the ship is always a factor on any port-of-call day anywhere in the world, but this risk is so minimal as to be unworthy of consideration.

Wonderful suggestions.  Thank you all.  We will be doing a Sunday turnaround, getting off the Queen Mary 2 and then on the Celebrity Silhouette.  We are planning to drop our luggage at the Silhouette pier immediately after disembarking the QM2 and then do a little sightseeing for a few hours before checking in and sail-away.  However, we have read that porters at the pier will not accept luggage until close to noon.  Is this true?  If so, does anyone have some ideas about what we can do in the morning or what we can do with the luggage to enable us to walk around unencumbered?  Thanks for any thoughts about this.

Cheryl

6 hours ago, ConnMom said:

Wonderful suggestions.  Thank you all.  We will be doing a Sunday turnaround, getting off the Queen Mary 2 and then on the Celebrity Silhouette.  We are planning to drop our luggage at the Silhouette pier immediately after disembarking the QM2 and then do a little sightseeing for a few hours before checking in and sail-away.  However, we have read that porters at the pier will not accept luggage until close to noon.  Is this true?  If so, does anyone have some ideas about what we can do in the morning or what we can do with the luggage to enable us to walk around unencumbered?  Thanks for any thoughts about this.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

You can kinda ignore my  worried post in your other thread about visiting London that day - my fault for not properly getting my head around your dates. :classic_rolleyes:

As it happens, I "kinda" answered this question - to the effect that I've heard contradictory replies that there is / isn't an early bag-drop at City Cruise Terminal. 

The only left-luggage facility I know of in Southampton is at http://www.oceanssouthampton.com/

This is a small privately-run tourist shop conveniently located in the High Street, handy for both old-town Southampton and - the other side of the old city's main gate The Bargate - the newer shopping centre and malls.

Altho it's small, privately run, and been going for only a few years, it's recognised by the govt-controlled tourist association http://www.discoversouthampton.co.uk/visit/visitor-info/luggage-storage

( useful tourist info on other pages of that website.) 

The shop's website is seriously short on detail - including prices. When prices aren't included on a website I usually presume they're OTT. But not so in this case - I think it's around £6 per bag.

Best to e-mail them for detail.

Altho it's only a few minutes walk from the cruise terminals, with luggage it's a taxi ride of £10 or less.

(the left-luggage facility at Southampton airport is too far out)

(happier now that I realise you're not planing a day-trip to London that day :classic_wink:)

14 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

The OP was asking about what there was to do on her turnaround day.  Isle of Wight is much closer to S'hampton ...

That's fine - and as I said, the risk is very small whether you go to the Isle of Wight, Portsmouth or Salisbury.

But we should not have anyone thinking that going the Isle of Wight is suitable for anyone who is of the view that started your post:-

On 3/4/2019 at 7:09 PM, BarbinMich said:

If you'd rather not leave Southampton ...

Going to the Isle of Wight does involve leaving Southampton, and we should not mislead anyone about this.

Thanks for all your contributions here. I have no problem leaving Southampton for the day. I just wanted to know what excursions may be offered since QM2 hasn’t listvthem on their website. Thanks for all your leads.