Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam

richwmn

31 minutes ago, colonialinnkeeper said:

Nice.  We are going to be on Koningsdam next month at HMC with NS.  We've never been there with another ship (unbelievable, I know) and have been wondering how it will feel to have that many people on shore.

Since the two biggest ships that HAL has will be together there Saturday it should be interesting.

I talked to a crew member a few minutes ago and he told me that Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam will stay together for the next few days. Tomorrow at sea, Saturday at HMC, Sunday at Fort Lauderdale, and Monday back at HMC. Should be interesting.

26 minutes ago, crossingfan said:

Ernie

I'm glad you are sailing on NS this weekend.  I am sailing on Kdam the end of April for the second time.  I always enjoy your reviews and look forward to this one

Thank you.  I appreciate that.  I’m returning to HAL after almost 10 years, so a review for sure and lots of pics!  

@richwmn

Thanks for the K'dam photos. When we get home, I'll post (on this thread) some of the NS I've taken  This screen's too small for me to edit/select best ones. Think I got some decent ones of both at St. Thomas and NS departing. Should get more good shots at HMC.

Koningsdam off Half Moon Cay.

I don't usually go ashore at HMC, and today is no exception. My comments will be based on views from the ship. It is now over two hours since tendering operations started, so anyone who wanted to go ashore has.

Looking at the beach area from the observation deck of Nieuw Statendam, the area right around the entry point has quite a few people at it. But going just up the beach it looks empty, even though it is still within the built up area. So it seems as far as the beach area is concerned, there is plenty of space for the 5,300 passengers of the two ships - or at least those who wish to venture ashore.

I hope someone will report on services ashore.

IMG_1301.JPG

We did go ashore for a couple of hours but we didn't use any shoreside services this time.  We left about an hour after tendering finally started.  We used our 4 Star privileges to skip getting a tender ticket (we got a note in our cabin that we could do so here) and managed to get on a tender that left fairly quickly.  We walked down the beach where it was less crowded and plopped ourselves on loungers. We people watched the entire time.  Apparently they set up 5000 loungers for all to use.  There were plenty of loungers available as more full tenders arrived.  We were in the last section of loungers set up on the beach.  Some people dragged loungers from our section farther down to even less crowded sections.  It was still great, I think, even with the two largest ships in port.  I don't know how crowded the buffet was as we chose to go back on the ship for lunch (and to pack).