Cruise Critic Community
Ameyers1988

Steamer allowed on ship?

We were on our last cruise September 2013 and we are going again September 2019 when we went in 2013 we took our steamer to use for our wrinkled clothes. I know irons are obviously not allowed but I am wondering if steamers are still allowed? 🤞

30 minutes ago, Ameyers1988 said:

We were on our last cruise September 2013 and we are going again September 2019 when we went in 2013 we took our steamer to use for our wrinkled clothes. I know irons are obviously not allowed but I am wondering if steamers are still allowed? 🤞

I did read that they are allowed. I’m not sure if there is a certain type that are allowed. Perhaps someone else can chime in with the answer.

never asked, but we always bring a small folding steamer. We are responsible adults and turn it off. 

From Carnival's web site under prohibited items.

• Electrical and household appliances containing any kind of heating element, such as irons, clothes steamers, immersion heaters, heating blankets, water heaters, coffee machines, hot plates, toasters, heating pads, humidifier, etc. (All Carnival ships provide facilities with ironing boards and irons; fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

I use Downy Wrinkle Release.   It works well for me.

Edited by Butterbean1000

9 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

That's what we use as well when we travel. Works well on wrinkles and makes you smell nice.

3 minutes ago, schazzy said:

That's what we use as well when we travel. Works well on wrinkles and makes you smell nice.

I've even used my hair flat iron to smooth out wrinkles on my husband's shirt.  There really isn't a need to violate ship's prohibited policies. 

29 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

From Carnival's web site under prohibited items.

• Electrical and household appliances containing any kind of heating element, such as irons, clothes steamers, immersion heaters, heating blankets, water heaters, coffee machines, hot plates, toasters, heating pads, humidifier, etc. (All Carnival ships provide facilities with ironing boards and irons; fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

I wonder when that became a thing because our last cruise was in 2013 and that cruise and the 3 we went on before that we always took our steamer with no issues. Weird. 

57 minutes ago, coevan said:

never asked, but we always bring a small folding steamer. We are responsible adults and turn it off. 

Not that I doubt you, but I bet all the Iron touting people say exactly the same thing.  Not to belabor the point but sometimes it is what the evidence does (not the operator) that causes the problem.  

2 minutes ago, Ameyers1988 said:

I wonder when that became a thing because our last cruise was in 2013 and that cruise and the 3 we went on before that we always took our steamer with no issues. Weird. 

In all honesty, I brought my travel steamer with me on my first few cruises with no problems.  I then read all the small print on the ticket contract out of boredom.  That's where I found it. That had to be 7 or 8 years ago.

5 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

In all honesty, I brought my travel steamer with me on my first few cruises with no problems.  I then read all the small print on the ticket contract out of boredom.  That's where I found it. That had to be 7 or 8 years ago.

Oh wow, okay. Good to know.

Thank you :classic_smile:

Hi Ameyers1988 ☺️

I see you'll be sailing on Conquest. Here is a list of self service laundry facilities onboard Conquest with irons/ironing boards that may be of some help to you.

Riviera Deck 1 - midship - across from cabin 1357 & 1359

Main Deck 2 - midship - across from cabin 2365 & 2367

Upper Deck 6 - midship - across from cabin 6385 & 6387

Empress Deck 7 - midship - across from cabin 7337 & 7339

Verandah Deck 8 - midship - across from cabin 8349 & 8351

Lido Deck 9 - midship - across from cabin 9268 & 9270

Have a terrific voyage!

☺️

On one cruise I was able to get my travel steamer through in my checked luggage. On my next carnival cruise I packed it in my carry on and TSA confiscated it. Both trips out of Long Beach, CA. Pack it in your checked luggage and maybe they won’t search your bag. 

I hang my garment in the bathroom then blast the shower as hot as possible and shut the door. A few minutes later it is wrinkle free. 

On 2/22/2019 at 10:08 PM, bdever said:

On one cruise I was able to get my travel steamer through in my checked luggage. On my next carnival cruise I packed it in my carry on and TSA confiscated it. Both trips out of Long Beach, CA. Pack it in your checked luggage and maybe they won’t search your bag. 

And if they do search your checked bag at least you will get it back afterwards, not with TSA finding it in your carry on. Oh well, 20/20 now!

On 2/22/2019 at 12:25 PM, coevan said:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people on this site think rules don’t apply to them.  A responsible adult would comply with Carnival’s rules. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

you can send them out to get pressed if you really want. I usually do that for my dress shirts and polos, its pretty cheap too 

On 2/22/2019 at 10:08 PM, bdever said:

So...you know the consequences of your actions for breaking rules against bringing household appliances on board that are potential fire hazards and do it anyway time and again. There must be a name for this behavior.

On 2/22/2019 at 11:50 AM, Ameyers1988 said:

....irons are obviously not allowed but I am wondering if steamers are still allowed?

IF you are lucky, it might get aboard.   Mine was packed in checked luggage; it was confiscated and returned to me at disembarkation.  They left a note in my luggage of what property was taken in security.    ALL LUGGAGE goes in the scanner and if they see the cord...which they will, the bag will be opened and confiscated.  

20170115_093924.jpg

Edited by HillBilly Bob
add text

2 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

So...you know the consequences of your actions for breaking rules against bringing household appliances on board that are potential fire hazards and do it anyway time and again. There must be a name for this behavior.

If you mean by time and time again - that it happened twice, yes. If you mean by consequences - getting my steamer confiscated once, yes I knew I was out $20.00 for the cost of the steamer. As far as a name for this behavior- I keep thinking 🤔 of that Kenny Rodgers song “Gambler” know when to hold em, know when to fold em. I never ever leave my steamer plugged into any outlet when not in use - on board or on land. The travel steamer I use is designed to be used in 7-8 minute intervals because it runs out of water. I use it for 7-8 minutes on a garment then unplug it and store it back in its bag.

Posted (edited)

I took my steam iron on Glory In 2017 with no issues. First cruise thought it was ok. Took same one 2018 on Dream and my luggage was detained until after 5. I had to go down and open it and they confiscated the steam iron. We were able to go get to take home the morning of debarkation. I personally would not attempt it again. I did not like my luggage kept.

Edited by ccd228
Typo

8 hours ago, ccd228 said:

I took my steam iron on Glory In 2017 with no issues. First cruise thought it was ok. Took same one 2018 on Dream and my luggage was detained until after 5. I had to go down and open it and they confiscated the steam iron. We were able to go get to take home the morning of debarkation. I personally would not attempt it again. I did not like my luggage kept.

No tickee no laundry

8 hours ago, BigBuoys said:

Are steamers made in Cleveland permitted?

I wouldn't recommend it with random chair hogs but with an amenable partner it should be OK.