What do you want to have on Cruise Critics Meet & Mingle?

Yes! Later in the morning! We travel from CA so have a really early travel day the day before boarding (starts at 3:00am) and then tend to stay up late the first night of the cruise. So it is nice to sleep in a little the first sea day.

I agree with specialty restaurant, drink tickets, or a voucher for Vintages. Things of that nature.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Falaimalandro said:

I would like to know what do you want to see on CC meet & Mingle on Royal Caribbean. Time, date, gifts, what to cover. Please give your feed back

Welcome to Cruise Critic, and thank you to reaching out to us.

The traditional time for the M 'n' M works well.  But in terms of fine-tuning it, begin some time from 10 to 11 on the first sea day morning.

If you wait until the afternoon, you run into many more issues of conflicts with other activities - and lunch.

It is not possible to avoid ALL conflicts, so don't even try.  You'll drive yourself crazy.

No matter how many gifts you give away,  since you can't give something to everyone, it will never be enough, so don't worry about that, either.

Some people like "things" - hats, bottles, backpacks, camera cases, highlighter pens.

Some people like "consumables" - wine. and wine.  and wine.  😄

Some people like "experiences" - free in-room movie; internet time; specialty restaurant meal

On some ships, the AM goes to the shop people  and gets them to donate a few pieces of jewelry.

Whatever you give away, some will be thrilled, some will grumble.  Don't worry about the grumblers.

BTW, I never win anything.  NEVER.   I do not expect to, and I am never disappointed.  😄 😄 😄

ALWAYS ask if anyone from the Roll Call has organized an activity and would like the microphone to make an announcement.  Ask if anyone, for any reason, needs to make an announcement.

And yes, insist on an identification by Cruise Critic screen name.  I find it mildly annoying when all of the prizes are won by people  who say, "Huh?  What's that?" when asked.

Some AMs will give a prize to the person who starts the Roll Call or who contributes the most to the Roll Call.  Most Roll Calls have a person like this.

A certain AM used to give an extra prize to the person whose CC screen name she liked best.  😉

• Like 1

On one of my cruises, the AM split us into teams of about 6 people and supplied the bingo cards/papers so we could play People Bingo.  I believe his name was Cuddy.  It was a good way to actually "mix and mingle".

Name tags and any type of ice breaker are beneficial.

Thanks for listening to the input!

Patti 

• Like 1

Back on Allure in October, the Top Tier event was scheduled 30 minutes after the Meet and Mingle so it felt really rushed to attend both.  Maybe scheduling the two events 45 minutes or 1 hour apart would be better.

Thanks for listening and enjoy Cruise Critic!

Patti 

I will tell you one of the best ones I went to, had drinks & snacks.

& we were all shocked with the Cruise Director, Hotel Director and the Captain walked in together.

They shook all our hands asked for feedback on the cruise line and told us how to reach them should we have concerns during our voyage.   it was really really nice.   They said, you guys are our repeat cruisers and know the line well, and we want you to know your opinion matters while you're on board, so here's how to find us.

I was like Wow!   it was a small group so maybe that's why but it was super nice to just sit on a table in the Viking Crown and chew the fat with the Cruise Director and Captain.      They both greeted me by name after that.  I loved it

On bigger ships --- I've enjoyed when the Activities manager went to the thread and saw what we were talking about ahead of time, and kind of knew a bit about us.

I agree --- speciality restaurant, tours, and bottle of wine giveaways were nice, but I enjoyed learning a bit about staff --- before being turned loose to mingle on our own.

Thanks for taking the time to get to know us!    I'd love to know what ship you're on!

• Like 3

I like having the screen names.  Years ago on another cruise line before official meet and mingles we organized one and had name tags for CC posters and their spouses.  We were Hoski and Hoski's husband which was really cute.

I'm not one for the wine prizes because we always seem to end up with too many bottles of free wine anyways and either give them away or bring them home to give away.  I like the idea of the dining certificates, activity certificates, chocolate covered strawberries, brunch certificate, RCI beach towel or something like a ship ornament or charm.

10 on first sea day sounds good to me if there are no other conflicts.  This gives you the rest of the day to get to know your fellow cruisers from the meeting.  A snack and beverages are nice as they get people talking. 

• Like 1

More mingling activities. I think the raffle gifts are fine, and a nice gesture. 

Primarily, I would like it not so early in the morning. We are coming from California and dealing with time changes on our first sea day. 

Thanks for asking! We love to meet other cruisers that we have been chatting with. :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Later in the morning or early afternoon on the first sea day. 

Certificate for dining, a free drink coupon, free internet for a day or two, free in room movie, (2) reserve seats at a show of your choice, reserve lounge chair at pool for an afternoon, day at thermal spa, slot play, coupon for $ off for store (without minimum purchase).  There are so many things besides the crap they use as prizes now.

• Like 1

10.30 or 11am - best start time. 

Last cruise we did not receive an invitation I had to ask for one from guest services! 

The room was being used for another activity just prior to the MM, as a consequence everything ran late, food and drinks were not ready or set up and people missed out! 

No screen names were used, there was no ‘mingling’ - was pretty boring. 

If you communicate with the other AMs would be great to share this feedback so that changes can happen fleetwide. 

Thanks for taking an interest 😄

As has been said, thanks for being proactive and looking for ways to improve the M/M, we appreciate it.

Name tags that also show screen names would be great.

I like the idea of a free in room movie as a prize, especially on a longer cruise.

It may be helpful to pass out comment sheets at the M/M to get additional suggestions.

Most meet and mingles I've attended did screen name, real name and where u from intros. I really enjoyed them. 

Some had great prizes, like oasis specialty restaurant give aways, others back pack filled with goodies. And still others just wine. 

Some of my roll calls were very active. Lots of chatting. Others full of crickets. You can encourage people to bring a small gift to be raffled off. (Diff from gift exchange)

Haven't seen mimosas in years. 

Remember it's the cruise director running the show. Feel free to contact them before hand. And if you you don't want to do my name is, I'm from so and so. Speak up and ask for people to state screen name. It's OUR meet and mingle, make it fun. 

19 hours ago, Ashland said:

Hmmm we've always had Mimosa's on the many we've attended.

I can certainly understand no upper tier party on 3/4 nighter's...several things that aren't available on those short cruise's

Which ship and what date did you have Mimosas at the Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle?  The elimination of the upper tier party for 3/4 night cruises was just recent.... a few weeks ago.   And of course there are no M&Ms on those either.  

Edited by island lady

19 hours ago, RRFPresident said:

While I agree with the above posters who voted for a later in the morning/early afternoon time slot on a sea day, can I also ask that the time slot avoid coinciding with any onboard activity that "requires" a person to attend every session? It's one thing to have to choose between attending the M&M or going to the art auction for example but another when it's a session of progressive trivia where one's attendance each time counts.

A lot of it has to do with pax preferring to be by the pool, later lunch, etc.  Then if it's too early, there are pax not out of bed yet.  Probably no perfect time perhaps.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic, and thank you to reaching out to us.

The traditional time for the M 'n' M works well.  But in terms of fine-tuning it, begin some time from 10 to 11 on the first sea day morning.

If you wait until the afternoon, you run into many more issues of conflicts with other activities - and lunch.

It is not possible to avoid ALL conflicts, so don't even try.  You'll drive yourself crazy.

No matter how many gifts you give away,  since you can't give something to everyone, it will never be enough, so don't worry about that, either.

Some people like "things" - hats, bottles, backpacks, camera cases, highlighter pens.

Some people like "consumables" - wine. and wine.  and wine.  😄

Some people like "experiences" - free in-room movie; internet time; specialty restaurant meal

On some ships, the AM goes to the shop people  and gets them to donate a few pieces of jewelry.

Whatever you give away, some will be thrilled, some will grumble.  Don't worry about the grumblers.

BTW, I never win anything.  NEVER.   I do not expect to, and I am never disappointed.  😄 😄 😄

ALWAYS ask if anyone from the Roll Call has organized an activity and would like the microphone to make an announcement.  Ask if anyone, for any reason, needs to make an announcement.

And yes, insist on an identification by Cruise Critic screen name.  I find it mildly annoying when all of the prizes are won by people  who say, "Huh?  What's that?" when asked.

Some AMs will give a prize to the person who starts the Roll Call or who contributes the most to the Roll Call.  Most Roll Calls have a person like this.

A certain AM used to give an extra prize to the person whose CC screen name she liked best.  😉

I agree with this!!  BTW, thx for asking, hope you can make this a fun event across all RCI ships.  s

While I have never tried to organize so many different events on a ship I can understand the problems facing the person and having events over lapping. My one suggestion, is for any M&M's if at all possible,  to avoid the Theater, it is very difficult to mingle with theater style seating . On our TA out of Copenhagen, we were moved to the Theater and attendance dropped. As far as the time, I am alright with 10 AM or 11, even 1 PM . Thank you for asking for suggestions. 

• Like 1

I haven't attended a Meet N  Greet in several years, but decided to on Harmony in January.  It was a short time before the Top Tier party so many didn't attend.

I think the host did very little to interact with the guests and some of the prizes were "left overs" from the President's cruise.  I thought that was kind of tacky to announce to those in attendance. When he gave out the prizes, he asked the person's name and where from.  No screen names were even discussed.

The room is was held in didn't encourage a lot of conversation.  It appeared that the only people speaking to each other were ones that knew each other before the meeting.

In the old days, people were kind of in a large circle and introduced themselves by their screen names while seated.  It was easy to speak with some people that you had interactions  prior to the cruise.

I also get the impression that many sign up for the Meet N Greet because someone on the roll call suggested it and they have no idea what it is and most times don't even participate in the discussions prior to the cruise.

I realize cruising is changing and perhaps this is the new Meet N Greet way of life. I think with the newer ships, there is so much to do, that taking time to attend an event for half an hour or so, isn't worth it.  I, personally, thought it was boring and  though I won a prize, I have no desire to attend in the future even with having  a couple of cruises booked.

I do thank you for your interest in trying to improve the Meet N Greet.

• Like 1

1:00 p.m. or later start times.  Maybe a special lunch just for the Cruise Critic folks as food in a nice setting encourages conversation.

We don't care about wine or plastic swag. I'd like to see drawings for experiences - e.g., gift certicates to one or more of the ports' cultural sights - botanical gardens, museums, art collectives, etc.

I spent a fair amount of money at Havana's Fusterlandia last month - a gift certificate would have been nice for me and good for the local and iconic artist, Mr. Fuster.

Edited by Bookish Angel
  • Like 1

They should always be on a sea day. We have been on port intensive cruises where the M&M has been scheduled  while in port before all aboard. I like the M&Ms but am not going to cut short my time in port to attend one. 

I prefer them them to be held in the mornings. 

I think choice of venue is very important for enabling us to mingle. The last one I attended was on Allure in the On the Air Club. The seating was in rows and not very conducive to speaking with anyone other the the person on either side of you. I think Blaze or Boleros would have been better locations. 

• Like 1