Cruise Critic Community
peak17

Oh! Those pool chairs!

Nope, this isn’t about saving chairs at the pool! As I’ve, ahem, gotten a little older, I find getting in or out of those pool loungers to be a hassle. Usually squeezed neck to neck, there is no way to gracefully get up or down from them. Twice my last cruise I had to ask a stranger to hang on to me while I disingorged myself from my lounger. They were very nice about it, and actually said they had problems themselves sometimes. I watched several other ladies grab some help more often than I had ever noticed before. 

I think my point in this post is to ask why they don’t make the *am things a few inches higher off the ground. Then it would be like standing up from a regular chair, not from a squat. Anybody else? 

25 minutes ago, peak17 said:

Nope, this isn’t about saving chairs at the pool! As I’ve, ahem, gotten a little older, I find getting in or out of those pool loungers to be a hassle. Usually squeezed neck to neck, there is no way to gracefully get up or down from them. Twice my last cruise I had to ask a stranger to hang on to me while I disingorged myself from my lounger. They were very nice about it, and actually said they had problems themselves sometimes. I watched several other ladies grab some help more often than I had ever noticed before. 

I think my point in this post is to ask why they don’t make the *am things a few inches higher off the ground. Then it would be like standing up from a regular chair, not from a squat. Anybody else? 

I raise my legs up and swing them down ,this helps me propel myself up and out. I learned this after a heart surgeon sawed me open for an overhaul and I couldn't use my arms for a few weeks 

1 hour ago, Buck Turgidson said:

I raise my legs up and swing them down ,this helps me propel myself up and out. I learned this after a heart surgeon sawed me open for an overhaul and I couldn't use my arms for a few weeks 

That might work when getting out from the side of a lounge, but on many ships they are placed so close together that the only way to get on and off of them is from the end, not the sides.

main-pool--v18423158-cc-720.jpg

Edited by SantaFeFan

You're far from alone in this. There is no easy or graceful way to rise from those blasted things if you're cursed with aging joints. It was a common complaint shared by many on our last cruise. I usually use my cane to help pull myself up if DH isn't there to give me a hand. Unfortunately a rotator cuff injury robbed me of that method, so on occasion I had to rely on the kindness of strangers,lol.

I don't know if they would go to the expense of custom built loungers - most seem to be a standard height

53 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

That might work when getting out from the side of a lounge, but on many ships they are placed so close together that the only way to get on and off of them is from the end, not the sides.

main-pool--v18423158-cc-720.jpg

Then I scoot my self forward, swing the legs up and down and I'm up.  This works for me, maybe not for everybody, I had heart surgery and had to adapt to not using my arms to get out of bed or out of a chair, piece of cake after a few tries. adapt, overcome.

Edited by Buck Turgidson

The sad fact is that, as we age, we lose both upper and lower body strength.  Making the loungers higher might help a bit, but unless they make them like those power chairs that lift you up, there will come a day when you have to give them up. Having a cane, so you can use a bit of arm strength may be the answer, but just making the loungers a bit higher would not be much of an answer.

That is precisely why we prefer to be up a deck from the pool....the chairs are not so tightly packed...so there's room to scoot them about!

I find crawling on all fours until I am onto the lounger and then a tight 3 point turn does the trick. Getting off again is the reverse action.

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I find crawling on all fours until I am onto the lounger and then a tight 3 point turn does the trick. Getting off again is the reverse action.

I suppose that might work, but I prefer to crawl on, then lie flat, then roll over, then scrootch back until my shoulders slide up the back.  Reversing the action gets you off, but you want to wait until no one is looking.

As time has gone by ... we've found sitting at a table with regular chairs at the pool area is the best option for us.  :classic_wink:

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I suppose that might work, but I prefer to crawl on, then lie flat, then roll over, then scrootch back until my shoulders slide up the back.  Reversing the action gets you off, but you want to wait until no one is looking.

Thank you...you and micCanberra post just above  gave me my chuckle for the day.  I'l go with OCruisers  suggestion...much easier on the old joints !  Again, thanks for the laugh and the visual!  

11 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

That would work but not for someone whose knees are too painful to get on them. 

I have had to give up loungers and look for chairs. 

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Am I the only cruiser who has never sat on a pool chair ?

No, My wife doesn't like them either, something about the colour clashing with her costume.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

No, My wife doesn't like them either, something about the colour clashing with her costume.

Hahahaha

Best laugh so far today.  Thanks for the visual descriptions of getting on and off the loungers; if my hips, knees and everything else is in good working order on the day I may have to try these ideas; otherwise it's off to find a chair.

On 2/23/2019 at 3:36 PM, MicCanberra said:

On 2/23/2019 at 6:12 PM, Mike981 said:

Hahahaha

@MicCanberra , costume is British/Australian for what we call swimsuits/bathing suits in the US - right?

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

@MicCanberra , costume is British/Australian for what we call swimsuits/bathing suits in the US - right?

correct.

I much prefer when there is a table between every two chairs/loungers, so that you have someplace to set your drink AND you have a small walkway to actually get in/out of the chair without resorting to acrobatic feats of entertainment (for those watching you do them).

After reading the responses so far, I’ve come to the conclusion that the ships set the loungers up like this as a cheap form of entertainment! 😁

People watching from the upper deck can be very entertaining. Perhaps this is another reason why people are claiming the pool loungers so early in the morning, it is so no one sees them boarding the lounger.

Ships in the higher price ranges do not have deck chairs this close together. Of course, you have to pay a higher price to get that...

😉

Yep, and when I pay those prices, I expect someone to get onto the loungers for me.