Behind the Fun Tour

Allura_317

I am considering the Behind the Fun Tour on my upcoming Breeze cruise.  I am leaning towards doing it, but I want to hear personal experiences with it.  Where do you go, who do you meet, what do you get, what do you do, really anything about it?  Thanks!

We did it in November on the Glory. They took us to the laundry area, the galley to see the different cooking areas. They gave us some cake and cookies in there. We saw the food storage areas (very large). We went to a regular dining room and to the crew dining room, also got to see a bar and game room for the crew. We went behind the main stage and was shown around the dressing rooms. They took us to the bridge where we met the Captain and crew. We ended at the steak house with mimosas and a gift, seems like it was a small tote bag with Carnival logo. There is probably  something I missed but it was interesting.

May not do it again but glad we tried it once.

• Like 1

I've taken it several times and sometimes on the same ship. Some of the places you go every time, but usually the experience will vary.

The above poster mentioned pretty much the typical, but also they take and give you a picture of your group on the. bow of the ship, and the bridge. I've been to the crew bar, crew dining, laundry room, cold beverage storage, engine control room, the brig, the morgue, crew cabins,, the galley,  The HR office,  behind the stage, in the dressing rooms, the steakhouse. That's all I can think of now, and we didn't go to all of those on one tour. 

• Like 1

I've done it and everyone did a great job of explaining where all you go and what you see.  I'll add, to the average person saying that you saw the kitchen or food storage area may not sound glamorous but it really is impressive.  I'd suggest to go and do it, I think you'll find it interesting.

• Like 1

We did it last year on the Splendor. They took us to all kinds of places behind the scenes, as the previous folks described. I really enjoyed seeing all the kitchens and food prep areas! We found it very informational and got a greater appreciation of what all goes on to make our cruise possible. I highly recommend that everyone does this tour!

• Like 2

Loved it, learned a lot and greater appreciation for crew.  Also got to see what they have to do with all that wasted food and stuff.  Yuck.  Nasty.  Got to see the laundry where they wash sheets, towels, etc, really interesting.  Galley was fun to meet chep and get sample.  Got to go to Engine room and learn from head guy how the ship operates (bored me but all the men were fascinated), got to go behind the stage and dressing costume rooms for shows, meet cast member and ask questions, got to go up on bridge and meet captain.  

BIG thing is you must leave your camera and phone in room, cannot take them at all as the are taking you into secure areas.  They do a wanding by security at several points.  Also, you must have closed toe shoes, many areas in crew deck are metal grates and steep stairs.  Got to go into the crew dining area and rooms, meet with head about the crews contracts, etc.

It is worth every penny, plus you get a goodie bag at end with hat, lanyard, totebag, and photos delivered to your room later that day.  They take a group photo with captain and individual photo with captain.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ABQrobin said:

Got to see the laundry where they wash sheets, towels, etc, really interesting.

How about that sheet folding machine, pretty cool. My wife got to make a Chocolate Melting Cake. The storage and recycling was very impressive. Unfortunately the engine room is NOT accessible as it is a secured area. The engineering room, kind of the brains of the ship was pretty cool too. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ABQrobin said:

Loved it, learned a lot and greater appreciation for crew.  Also got to see what they have to do with all that wasted food and stuff.  Yuck.  Nasty.  Got to see the laundry where they wash sheets, towels, etc, really interesting.  Galley was fun to meet chep and get sample.  Got to go to Engine room and learn from head guy how the ship operates (bored me but all the men were fascinated), got to go behind the stage and dressing costume rooms for shows, meet cast member and ask questions, got to go up on bridge and meet captain.  

BIG thing is you must leave your camera and phone in room, cannot take them at all as the are taking you into secure areas.  They do a wanding by security at several points.  Also, you must have closed toe shoes, many areas in crew deck are metal grates and steep stairs.  Got to go into the crew dining area and rooms, meet with head about the crews contracts, etc.

It is worth every penny, plus you get a goodie bag at end with hat, lanyard, totebag, and photos delivered to your room later that day.  They take a group photo with captain and individual photo with captain.

They are serious about not taking cameras.  We had a person be asked 3 times and when they wanded her they found a camera....she looked pretty sheepish.  We waited while she returned it to her cabin and then they wanded her again....

2 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

Got to go to Engine room and learn from head guy how the ship operates (bored me but all the men were fascinated), got to go behind the stage and dressing costume rooms for shows, meet cast member and ask questions, got to go up on bridge and meet captain.  

You see the Engine Control Room, which in my view is more interesting than the engine room. (But then DH and I are boat nerds, and our oldest son is in the Navy and holds a USCG engineer's license.) We did the tour on Horizon last year, and the day of the tour the crew was anticipating sailing close to a hurricane. The Chief Engineer showed how the stabilizers would be deployed and how the crew in the control room monitored all the ship's operations - propulsion, air conditioning, fire control, etc. Up on the bridge the captain showed us how the ship would navigate around the storm.

This isn't a tour I would take every cruise, but it was absolutely worth every dollar. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mvaughn11 said:

And a lot of walking up and down stairs.

Sounds like that eliminates me-I use a Rollator for mobility. Grateful thanks to kind people who have gone on the tour and posted descriptions, I do have some idea of what happens. I would not dare use walking sticks for an extended time, I tire too quickly.

We did this a couple of years ago on Conquest.  Well worth the cost of about 100.  We went to the bridge, galley, engine control room, storage areas, theatre department, crew areas, etc.  On the bridge you meet the captain and a photo is taken.  It was so interesting and so worth the price!

Michelle

31 minutes ago, Tampa Bay Irish said:

No way it was worth the price of about $100/person. What Carnival should do is offer the tour to all new platinums. 

Doubt very much they will take an excursion that brings in dough and make it free for a third of the population on a ship.