Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
omc329

New to traveling with a rollator

Recommended Posts

Dh has decided it is time for a rollator with our trip to the British Isles. We have mostly private excursions booked and I've contacted them ahead of time. I am looking for tips or fyi's for traveling with the rollator, getting through airports, buses etc. He'll be using airport wheelchairs, leaving me to handle the rollator and carryons. Ugh. 

 

The rollator collapses, but it doesn't lock and the handles stick out. I'm going to get velcro straps to hold the thing closed, but the handles might be a problem. Are the airport handlers careful about things like that so it doesn't get broken? Do all airlines, including European, (Aer Lingus), take them as baggage check as you board, free of charge? What about the airbus in Dublin? The lua in Dublin? How hard is it going to be to get around with this thing? He'll bring his cane, and can handle smaller things with that, it is the 1hour or more sequences that will require the rollator.

 

What do I need to know from those who have btdt?

 

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you thought of renting one for the cruise portion of your trip? They can come off-ship and it saves you the hassle of taking yours with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't even know they rented rollators. It doesn't matter though. I just spent some time surfing and it makes better sense to bring the one we have with us. Costwise it will be cheaper, the companies listed on the cruise lines don't seem to rent out of Dublin anyway, he'll be using the rollator on all future cruises, and we searched long and hard for one that would work well for him, size, weight, height and comfort.

 

That all said, I did read about using a bungee cord. It might be a better alternative to the velcro straps I was going to use to secure it. I also read that folks fold the rollators and push in front of the wheelchairs in the airports. That will be very helpful in how to handle luggage in the airports. Still trying to figure out the buses. Taxi could be an option in Dublin, but we HAVE to take a bus to get to Chicago where our flight leaves.

 

Like I say, this is all new to me, and I am learning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re flying with the rollator, you should have no problem with an European airline as long as it folds. Bungee cords are a good idea. We just flew to Malta, from Edinburgh, with Ryanair with a rollator, no problem. We were able to hand it over at the aircraft, I was in wheelchair, husband handled the rollator. They used the ambilift for the largish contingent of people in wheelchairs, with sticks, walkers etc. The same the other end. You are dependent on the airport as far as handling  of the Walker is concerned. I generally ring the assistance desk at the airport to check procedures because they are different everywhere. Airlines staff frequently don’t know the details. 

Re the Luas : it should be accessible, it’s a while since I’ve been on it. Buses in Europe are generally fully accessible and I generally travel by bus.

 

Euan’s Guide is a great resource, produced here in Edinburgh:

https://www.euansguide.com/

 

The only negative thing about Europe is cobbled streets, picturesque but hard to negotiate with your rollator! There is not always a dropped curb, including here in Edinburgh, so that can make life slightly more difficult. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you check your rollator with the luggage people at the port with a cabin tag?  Have it delivered to your stateroom?  Husband is going to try a Rollator for long walking in port but really doesn't need it on the ship so it would be easier to check it with the porters than the have to use it to get on the ship with the carry on luggage???  Just wondered if they do this.  I've never paid attention in the past.  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've taken my rollator both to Europe and Asia. From Hawaii to Europe or Asia, I would always check the rollator as baggage - a rollator being a "medical device" doesn't count as baggage. I would always use wheelchair assistance from the airlines to get to the plane. I can walk for very short distances using a cane and so from the doorway of the plane to the seat isn't too much of a problem.

 

In boarding the cruise ship, I would also use wheelchair assistance and either have the baggage people take the rollator on board or my son would wheel it - the seat makes a good place  to place a carry-on!

 

If the boarding the ship is simple (i.e. short) I would use the rollator to board. If the boarding the ship is one of those back and forth, up and down, it is easier to board by wheelchair as my walking ability is limited.

 

I also would rent a mobility scooter for cruise ships and for tours if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, tommui987 said:

I've taken my rollator both to Europe and Asia. From Hawaii to Europe or Asia, I would always check the rollator as baggage - a rollator being a "medical device" doesn't count as baggage. I would always use wheelchair assistance from the airlines to get to the plane. I can walk for very short distances using a cane and so from the doorway of the plane to the seat isn't too much of a problem.

 

In boarding the cruise ship, I would also use wheelchair assistance and either have the baggage people take the rollator on board or my son would wheel it - the seat makes a good place  to place a carry-on!

 

If the boarding the ship is simple (i.e. short) I would use the rollator to board. If the boarding the ship is one of those back and forth, up and down, it is easier to board by wheelchair as my walking ability is limited.

 

I also would rent a mobility scooter for cruise ships and for tours if possible.

Thank you for the info.  We have a cruise next week and not taking the rollator so we will ask the port canaveral  baggage people but likely we will take the rollator on the New England cruise because we plan to do a lot of touring and walking.  He can negotiate just staying on the ship fine since there's often plenty of places to sit down.  Using the seat for carry-ons is a great idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2019 at 8:32 AM, omc329 said:

Dh has decided it is time for a rollator with our trip to the British Isles. We have mostly private excursions booked and I've contacted them ahead of time. I am looking for tips or fyi's for traveling with the rollator, getting through airports, buses etc. He'll be using airport wheelchairs, leaving me to handle the rollator and carryons. Ugh. 

 

The rollator collapses, but it doesn't lock and the handles stick out. I'm going to get velcro straps to hold the thing closed, but the handles might be a problem. Are the airport handlers careful about things like that so it doesn't get broken? Do all airlines, including European, (Aer Lingus), take them as baggage check as you board, free of charge? What about the airbus in Dublin? The lua in Dublin? How hard is it going to be to get around with this thing? He'll bring his cane, and can handle smaller things with that, it is the 1hour or more sequences that will require the rollator.

 

What do I need to know from those who have btdt?

 

Thank you.

 

You’ve missed the nice feature of rollator!  Push it with the carry on bags on it! My husband got quite good at it when I had a wheelchair. I’ve also carried it on my lap in a wheelchair!  He had one on his lap in a shuttle for the hotel! 

 

We bought a replacement that folds flat, but still used a strap to keep it together better and to keep it steady in minibuses in some ports.    

 

As for damage i’ve had brakes bent and lastly returned after loss with huge gouges when they couldn’t figure out how to fold it and so turned it open to slide around on the side that catches clothes.  

 

A Velcro wrap for the hand brake wires to help keep them where they don’t catch on other things when stored at the gate will help a bit.  And yes when folded they seem to sit on their brakes but is was the  bottom part that graves the tire that got bent and the hand brakes wouldn’t release.  Southwest offered an alternative but mine had saddle bags and I wanted it.  We were in town over the weekend and got a bicycle shop to help fix the brakes.  Europe should be easy for those!  

 

If your rollator has a basket that must be remove before folding leave it home!  

 

All in all, for the amount of traveling we did with it we had no more than scratches from the airlines.  Parts do get loose, so we carried screw drivers and Allen wrenches which can be tricky in carry on!  Hopefully you have the larger wheels too, they handle cobblestones better but still not what Pompeii had!   

 

Ifyou need an imag you wont forget, I took a rollator to Machu Picchu!  I could still climb slowly then and I had walking sticks and a camp stool, so no we didn’t take the rollator into the ruins.  I still needed help on the steps but I’m sure the guides are still talking about me and how surprised they were at my success!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2019 at 6:12 PM, torpeedo said:

Thank you for the info.  We have a cruise next week and not taking the rollator so we will ask the port canaveral  baggage people but likely we will take the rollator on the New England cruise because we plan to do a lot of touring and walking.  He can negotiate just staying on the ship fine since there's often plenty of places to sit down.  Using the seat for carry-ons is a great idea.

 

I feel safer giving my rollator to the airlines than I do t the ship on the hectic day of boarding!  You can still ask for wheelchair assist with a walker as the ramps can be steep.  Halifax comes to mind! 

 

Put a baggage tag tag on it, the ones with your name and room number, just in case you have it on board and then forget it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We purchased a carrying bag for our rollator. When we get to the airport, I dismount the handles, lock it folded, and zip it up in the bag. Accessories, such as our cup holder, can also be tossed in the bag. It protects the rollator as it goes through baggage handling, and my wife goes aboard using a wheelchair provided by the airport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For DH's rollator, used a carrying bag, put a luggage tag on it and put on some Fragile stickers I bought at a Dollar Store at home. Used Celebrity's luggage valet at the end of cruise along with regular bags, had wheelchair assist at FLL and everything arrived back at home, OK. Happy Sails!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...