Drink package...yes or no?

hmk012

We just purchased the deluxe drink package. I would say my wife and I are right on the borderline of probably breaking even based on our normal drinking on a cruise. The nice thing is you don't have to feel "stuck" with a drink you wanted to try and didn't like.. just get another... or have to worry about your tab everyday ... #justdoit

44 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

If you're going to spend near that amount anyways, I say get it. 

I still think too many people base their vacation too much around drinks. Worrying if individual charges are too high. Worrying they're not getting enough use of their package. Somehow I manage to have a good time without worrying about alcohol.

In reality many people do that in their everyday life as well. If the math works, and it doesn't for everyone, then it's worth it. I've never worried about alcohol but we have always had a cruise budget, of which alcohol is a line item, so knowing how much things cost ahead of time help me to plan accordingly.

just curious...does no one consider purchasing the Alcohol packages in the "Royal Gifts" section of your Cruise Planner?

They are available for certain ships.

There are (4) 375ml bottle options that each come with 4 cans of mixers for $44-$50 each...so thats about 8-10 drinks depending on how you like them.

It may be a good option for those that are kinda in between like we are.

We are going to order one or 2 bottles for our room and then bring our 2 bottles of wine. I dont think we would get our $800+ moneys worth so for us this is a great option.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, E23NK1 said:

just curious...does no one consider purchasing the Alcohol packages in the "Royal Gifts" section of your Cruise Planner?

There are (4) 375ml bottle options that each come with 4 cans of mixers for $44-$50 each...so thats about 8-10 drinks depending on how you like them.

We are going to order one or 2 bottles for our room and then bring our 2 bottles of wine. I dont think we would get our $800+ moneys worth so for us this is a great option.

Just went into my cruise planner to see what you were talking about. Awesome options, if you're into those drinks!

51 minutes ago, E23NK1 said:

If you are looking for a single drink, or maybe 2, this could work.  Our issue with this approach, is having to run back to the cabin to make that drink when you want it.  Also we prefer to have a variety of drink so this limits that.

Personally we look for a price we are happy with, have never paid more than low $40s.  On a port day we will usually pick up a drink to take back to the cabin on boarding (most likely frozen something), will have a glass or 2 of wine with dinner, then 1 more (sometime martini or Bailey's or similar) after dinner.  On an at sea day add at least 1 more by the pool.  On top of that we will get the fresh squeezed oj and at least 5 bottles of water during the day.  We feel it's worth it to us, and even if close the convenience of grabbing a water or drink whenever tips the scale.

I fully realize the package is not for everyone and if most were getting their money's worth it wouldn't be offered at the price it is.  Everyone needs to take a close look at their day and decide for themselves.

There's another facet to having the drink package that a lot of people don't take into consideration. Are you the type of drinker who basically sticks with one or two types of drinks, or given the opportunity, would you choose to try a wider variety of drinks? There's no right or wrong here; it's just what you prefer along with how many drinks you think you'll have a day. Some people stick to beer OR wine OR (for example) a vodka soda. Maybe you never, ever order something like a French 75 or a Citrus Cosmo. But part of the advantage of the drink package is you get to try a lot of different fancy schmancy drinks. And they aren't just sugary, cloyingly sweet junk that tastes like they came from a slushie machine. You can find some really fun, sophisticated, and unique cocktails on board. 

• Like 3

Getting a drink package kind of depends on what kind of cruise you are doing. Our most recent cruise (last week) was to celebrate our anniversary. We brought the kids and their spouses/SOs and had drink packages for all. We got our monies worth and more, had a great time. 

The previous cruise was just my wife and I and was more laid back. We didn't get the package, relaxed, exercised every day, didn't do any shore excursions and the only drinking we did was a glass or two of wine  (which we brought with us) with dinner. Walked off the ship with a zero balance on our sea cards.

Our next cruise is in April. We will bring as much wine as we can, maybe have a cocktail  or two during the week or not. We expect another laid back, relaxing cruise. Only one excursion planned and we have $300 OBC.

• Like 1

We have done the drink package on a repositioning cruise and I loved it for how relaxed I felt about ordering a drink.  I am someone who orders off a menu by looking at the price first, so not having to worry so much about money really made the drink package worth it to me.  Our next cruise is a 12 day transatlantic with only one port day.  I think we'll get our moneys worth out of the package.

• Like 1

I always consider ALL FLUIDS, nit just drinks.

A bottle of water is $3.00

A specialty coffee runs $5.00

Drinks Run ~$10.00 on avg

Fresh OJ runs a couple bucks if you like that.

We like to have 3-4 bottles of water in the room at all times.   For the side table at night.  A few to take on excursions.   For mixed drinks, just at dinner, we'll have a couple drinks, an espresso, and a Baileys on the rocks to walk away with.    We'll usually have a drink at the evening show.   So my math per day is (per person)…..

3 bottles of water                           $ 9.00

1 slushy drink during the day       10.00

2 dinner drinks                                 20.00

1 espresso after dinner                    5.00 

1 drink during the evening show     9.00

TOTAL:    $53

This is all a pre gratuity analysis.    Do I drink like this at home.   No way.    Do I go out to dinner and see a show every night when I'm at home....NO.    Could I drink less on the cruise and still have fun...YES.  Can you brin on two bottles of wine per cabin to defray costs...YES.

So there are a zillion strategies.   Pick the one that suits your style.   For us, getting the package makes sense and takes the thinking out of the equation.   Don't have to worry about how much I'm spending.   I can try new drinks and not worry if I'll like it or not.    So if I can get the package at $50 or under, it makes sense for us.    On Allure last week we got the package for $39pp/pd

Blue Hawaiians.jpg

• Like 3

In reviewing most of these response, I see one point that has not been made strongly. That is convenience. On one RCCL cruise we did NOT purchase the drink package. Every time a drink is purchased you sign a receipt and you put the paper receipt in your pocket. (Not sure if this procedure has changed). Last cruise we purchased the drink package, just show your id with the sticker and your given what you want. No signature no paper receipts. 

I am a very frugal individual, however, I wholeheartedly agree the post above that lists all fluids. Between waters, coffees, glasses of wine with dinner etc it is very worthwhile. On the cruise that we did NOT purchase the drink package we also smuggled rum runners. I prefer not to be illegal. I do not want to have a problem. I also do not want to lug wine bottles in my luggage and risk them breaking in my luggage. It is vacation after all. I did purchase my drink package on sale. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/2/2019 at 3:05 PM, babsohio said:

In reviewing most of these response, I see one point that has not been made strongly. That is convenience. On one RCCL cruise we did NOT purchase the drink package. Every time a drink is purchased you sign a receipt and you put the paper receipt in your pocket. (Not sure if this procedure has changed). Last cruise we purchased the drink package, just show your id with the sticker and your given what you want. No signature no paper receipts. 

I am a very frugal individual, however, I wholeheartedly agree the post above that lists all fluids. Between waters, coffees, glasses of wine with dinner etc it is very worthwhile. On the cruise that we did NOT purchase the drink package we also smuggled rum runners. I prefer not to be illegal. I do not want to have a problem. I also do not want to lug wine bottles in my luggage and risk them breaking in my luggage. It is vacation after all. I did purchase my drink package on sale. 

I too admit I’m frugal, but I’ll also splurge on something that I want and not think twice about it.  I’ve been going back and forth for the past few days on whether to get either beverage package.  We will be traveling with all 4 of our kids (ages 5-19) so if I bought a refreshment package, I could make sure I got my money’s worth in bottled water and soda alone.  But at the same time, we all could take refillable bottles and refill on water as needed throughout the ship.  I’m really the only soda drinker out of all of us and really don’t desire to drink alcohol, but I might have 2 or 3 drinks of the day the entire 7-day cruise.  My wife may not care for the ships specialty coffee so I’m assuming she will always be heading to Starbucks.   My wife will drink her must have morning latte (which she can just reload her Starbucks card before going), 2-3 daily cocktails, and the kids will have water and maybe a few smoothies or milkshakes. 

Plus, we can carry on the allowed 12 bottles per stateroom (soda and water) and I may put a few juice cartons in each of the kid’s carry-on bags as well.  I can’t see that being an issue since they’ll be in the kid’s carry-on’s but worst case, we lose 6-12 boxes of juice. 

Soda package - $82.52

Refreshment package - $214.76

Deluxe Beverage package – $429.52 x 2

I’m looking at it this way…buying any package I’ll more than likely drink way more in all categories than not having the package; just to justify getting my money’s worth.  If I opted for the DBP, I’d also move myself into the cabin with the kids to avoid having to buy two DBP’s since there’d only be 1 person over 21 in either room. 

I guess the way I’m approaching my decision is as if I know for sure that we will exceed the cost of the preferred beverage package.  If my wife ends up liking the ships specialty coffees then buying at Refreshment package might be the best way for us to go.  I’d rather put any savings toward an excursion that we plan to do.  You’ll remember certain moment longer than the few drinks you’ve had. 

On 2/23/2019 at 9:06 AM, hmk012 said:

My husband and I are trying to decide on the Drink Package. This is our 1st RCCL cruise, we are used to NCL. We aren't huge drinkers, but we do have a couple glasses of wine each with dinner normally. When we are cruising we normally have a couple drinks each during the day. Besides that, we drink tons of bottled, sparkling water and tea, not soda drinkers. My drink of choice is Tito's and he's a bourbon guy. Anyone with experience on drink prices with insight would be appreciated. We do like the idea of not having to worry about how much we are spending, but we want to make sure we are going to get our moneys worth by doing the package. From what I can tell we need to be drinking 4-6 drinks a day, correct? Thank you all in advance!!

We’re looking at an 11 night Ncl cruise with 10 ports out of San Juan and are getting the cheapest inside cabin. We can get the drink package for same room for free but the room cost increase is about $1,000.00 for gratuity and up charge.

My wife doesn’t drink and I’m not a big drinker.

So being on shore every day it will be a waste of money. We’re diamond on RCL and we enjoyed the diamond lounge and never use up our 3 drinks in other bars.

Cruising more often fits our lives.

8 hours ago, Mr. Candyman said:

My wife may not care for the ships specialty coffee so I’m assuming she will always be heading to Starbucks.  My wife will drink her must have morning latte (which she can just reload her Starbucks card before going), 2-3 daily cocktails, and the kids will have water and maybe a few smoothies or milkshakes.

Not sure on which ship you are sailing, but I know that on Radiance they served Starbucks coffee at Café-lattitudes but it was NOT a Starbucks café. I could not use my Starbucks card (or app) to pay for my purchases there, but the DBP did cover the drinks. I'm not sure about the details on other ships, or if that is fleet-wide. HTH!

We have purchased drink packages on other lines. We enjoyed Bloody Mary's in the morning Cocktails on deck in the afternoon. My wife drinks wine or a Martini's in the evening and water here and there through out the day. She is pretty consistent throughout the cruise. I can take it or leave it. By the middle of the week the novelty is over and I find I am just drinking  alcohol to stick it to the man. I do drink a lot of coffee and water. With the ships being so big now I don't want to have to go out of my way to get the coffee that's included or water. I'm not someone who is willing to walk around with a reusable water bottle on vacation plus I prefer sparkling water. So for us I purchased one refreshment  package and one deluxe package. The refreshment package was only $17 during a Black Friday sale while the deluxe package was $49. There was too much of a price spread for me to justify getting the deluxe for myself. I can easily  spend $17 a day on water juice and coffee and maybe a can of soda here and there. We have 6 sea days if you include embarkation day and Labadee so I think we will benefit from the packages.

Edited by Iamcruzin

2 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Not sure on which ship you are sailing, but I know that on Radiance they served Starbucks coffee at Café-lattitudes but it was NOT a Starbucks café. I could not use my Starbucks card (or app) to pay for my purchases there, but the DBP did cover the drinks. I'm not sure about the details on other ships, or if that is fleet-wide. HTH!

We will be sailing on Allure...I'm pretty certain it's an actual Starbucks though.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 6:06 AM, hmk012 said:

My drink of choice is Tito's and he's a bourbon guy. Anyone with experience on drink prices with insight would be appreciated. We do like the idea of not having to worry about how much we are spending, but we want to make sure we are going to get our moneys worth by doing the package

I also wrestled with this and I can tell you the exact moment I decided to always have the package.

We were on an Alaskan cruise and it was a sea day where we were looking at the glacier and into my head popped "this is the perfect moment for champagne"

I did not have to ponder the price of it, how much tip would be, what the current account balance was, should I maybe get something cheaper?

The only thought that mattered was in that moment that would be perfect and so we did it, and it was perfect.

I find that freedom to just say "Yes" was so important to the cruise.

Not a coffee drinker, but I tried the white chocolate mochas... then the same with amaretto in it. Did not have to worry "What if I do not like it?"

Never tried Patron before.... lets do it!

Ciroc? Saw a commercial for that lets try it knowing I do not have to buy an entire bottle to find out if it is all marketing hype.

Hrm.... do you think we could get through the entire martini bar menu? You take these ones, I got these... and lets see if we can do it by the end of the cruise. If we get a bad one, oh well on to the next one!

I want to try a smokey red wine... I can try all the chiliean wines by the glass until I find it!

All these people drinking tito's.  What could possibly go wrong? Oh... that. Oh well, now we know!

The only time I had twinges of needing to make our money back would be when my hunneh would order some mixed drink and not ask for the top shelf we had paid for. That was it, that was the only time we thought about it.

So if your economic situation allows you to do that without the package, awesome. If the drinking package can be swung I found it to be well worth that sense of freedom to just say "Yes, lets try that!" 

Did we make our money on the deal? I honestly don't know. We sure tried! In the end though again..  we never had to go without or even pause to consider and for us that was worth the money.

Say YES!*

*This message not a paid for advertisement.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just got off my first cruise on Allure Of The Seas and I did the all-inclusive beverage package. If I was getting onto another ship this week I think I would skip it and pay per drink. Two things I noticed. I ended up drinking way too much since it was "free". The second thing was there really are lots of spots for free drinks throughout the ship. Not alcohol drinks, but I found water, juices, coffees, and teas at various spots that you didn't need a drink package to get for free. My two cents 🙂

2 hours ago, jean-lynd said:

Yes Allure has an actual Starbucks and the deluxe beverage package can't be used there.

yes, actual Starbucks on the Allure and you have to pay for the drinks as no drink package includes them. They say the drinks are "typical" prices but here locally we pay $5 and change for the largest Frap and it was close to $8 on the Allure of the Seas. Pricing difference is because you are forced to pay the 18% gratuity when using Starbucks. You can use Starbucks gift cards or the Starbucks app to pay which was nice but saw a lot of people swiping their sea pass card... cha ching..

I am totally on the fence because we are Diamond. With access to alcohol from 4:30 - 8p, I just don't know. We usually have a few cocktails before dinner and then grab one to go or bring a glass of wine with us to dinner. Then maybe have an after dinner drink that we pay for. I really can't drink that much and what we found is my dh drank way more just to get his "money's worth". I will have to buy water though. I'm thinking of the water bundle so I can get the liter bottles.

Edited by Choozin Croozin