Koningsdam or Eurodam for Alaska?

lderochi

Hi, very occasional cruiser (4, taken over 20+ years).  I've always go straight to CC forums for info when I'm looking! I was thinking it was about time for the bucket list Alaska cruise when I saw HAL's reduced deposit promotion and decided to go ahead an do it. I've narrowed things down quite a bit and I'm looking at either the Koningsdam or Eurodam in late May 2020. The same standard Veranda in generally the same location is just about the same on each ship. The itinerary is slightly different, Eurodam sails from Seattle so there is a day at sea, while the Koningsdam has inside passage on two days, up and back from Vancouver. Eurodam does Sitka, Koningsdam does Skagway. We want to see Tracy Arm -- Koningsdam has a drop off for an excursion on the way to Juneau, whereas Eurodam says it sails up the Stephens Passage straight to Juneau, but we can catch an excursion from Juneau to Tracy Arm.

So, there doesn't appear to be a ton of difference in itinerary, but maybe I'm missing something since we've never been to the area. I don't think we can go wrong, but I'd appreciate any feedback people have, especially people who have sailed on the Eurodam and Koningsdam (I know the Koningsdam hasn't sailed to Alaska before).

Thanks everybody!

Most of us who have sailed from both ports agree that the sail out/into Vancouver is the better ride. It's generally calmer than the open ocean of a Seattle departure, and is a much prettier ride.
Many ships sail up Tracy Arm, but a couple have a shore excursion that lets you transfer to a catamaran for that sail, while the ship continues on to Juneau. You rejoin the ship there later in the afternoon. I would not want to tour Tracy Arm round trip from Juneau as I think there's too much time commuting back and forth.
Lots of folks like Sitka; I happen to prefer Skagway, but both ports have interesting things to do/see. You really can't go wrong on this choice.
I would take the cruise out of Vancouver because it gives the true inside passage.

Good luck with your choice. You really can't go wrong for a first Alaska cruise.

• Thanks 1

While we love the Koningsdam, one thing it is lacking that the Eurodam has,  are nice deck chairs on the promenade deck where you can sit and watch the scenery.  I know you have a balcony, but in Alaska you might want to be able to walk around the whole ship on the promenade so you can see the scenery on both sides of the ship. Other than that, both ships are great.  I guesss you have to narrow it down to which itinerary you like best.  

Whichever way you go I am sure you will love Alaska.

• Thanks 1

Good points from both Ruth & Daisyloo. The inside passage has more scenery but no deck chairs on the Koningsdam to enjoy the view. But you can still see it all from the top deck. Which ever one you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1