Cruise Critic Community
fyree39

Chef's Table: Can you eat every course?

It's confirmed. The last three courses are way, way beyond my belly capacity.  I never get to actually enjoy the dessert!  How about you?  Do you train before the Chef's Table like someone in a hot dog eating contest? Maybe I need to think about doing that.

We've attended several Chef's Table events over the years.  I nomally do not have a problem getting through the courses, although I am quite satified by the end of the evening.  My wife on the other hand, normally does not finish all of the courses, as the food can be a bit rich.  We normally have mineral/sparkling water during the dinner (versus the wines) which may have helped  in the long run.

Edited by Zingy2

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

It's confirmed. The last three courses are way, way beyond my belly capacity.  I never get to actually enjoy the dessert!  How about you?  Do you train before the Chef's Table like someone in a hot dog eating contest? Maybe I need to think about doing that.

While it is not training, we do eat a lot less on the day of the Chef's Table.   We always manage to at least try each course, even if we can't finish it?

The fact that I did not keep count of the courses by the time the last and best in my opinion (wagyu beef) I was stuffed. I tasted the beef and wished that it had come sooner and I was just able to take a few bites of the desert which was also over the top. In thrfuture I would taste. Everything but finish nothing. No regrets though it was wonderful!

The last time I did the chefs table was on the breeze and it was a casual standing type event in the kitchen. I saw the table on Horizon, is it a more formal one now with all seated courses at a table? Thats how Royal has done it.

I have done 5 CT’s (4 on Carnival and 1 on Oasis) and all were sit downs (including the Breeze).  It is a lot to eat.

I usually eat about 1/2 of each course.  I know it's a little intimidating when the chef is standing right there, LOL, but I would never be able to try them all if I didn't.

Me eat all things.  Me drink too much wine too.  Me make big tummy and roll to lido after.

I generally eat very lightly on the day of the Chef's Table, then eat all of the small apps/amuse-bouches, but only about half of the larger courses. It lets me taste everything and not totally hate myself when I'm done. 😂

6 hours ago, ryanpatricksmom said:

I usually eat about 1/2 of each course.  I know it's a little intimidating when the chef is standing right there, LOL, but I would never be able to try them all if I didn't.

This is exactly what we do. The Chef is not expecting you to eat every plate. 

16 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

The last time I did the chefs table was on the breeze and it was a casual standing type event in the kitchen. I saw the table on Horizon, is it a more formal one now with all seated courses at a table? Thats how Royal has done it.

I have done it 3 times on the Breeze.  Each time the evening began with champagne, olives and cheese around a table and a demonstration of making, and then sampling, the appetizers.

The group then moved to a table with formal seating in another part of the galley for all remaining courses.

I rarely finish any one course, the exception so far being the pork belly.  I didn't leave one morsel of that on the plate.

3 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

I have done it 3 times on the Breeze.  Each time the evening began with champagne, olives and cheese around a table and a demonstration of making, and then sampling, the appetizers.

The group then moved to a table with formal seating in another part of the galley for all remaining courses.

I rarely finish any one course, the exception so far being the pork belly.  I didn't leave one morsel of that on the plate.

We did champagne outside. Then wine and three courses in, a tour of kitchen area and made chocolate melting cake and then 2 courses... maybe 3 seated.

Never done chefs table but did a 10

course Chinese New Year dinner tonight and didn’t struggle at all.  Finished my food and my fiancé’s and my brother in laws mother food.  And also had seconds a few times.  

I do think I could do just fine at chefs table

Went home and and did an extra hour of cardio after.... in addition to the 1.5 hours this morning haha.

I ate all mine and some of my wife's. She didn't care for the fishy things. I loved every bite. Hah! And she calls me picky. I'm smart enough not to point out I'm only picky with her cooking.

We usually eat light on CT day and then pick and choose what we eat all of. 

We reserved for the CT on our upcoming (644 days and counting) cruise. I plan to eat extremely lightly that day! I have been to a multi-course dinner in the past and finished everything but I was also drinking heavily (it was a beer dinner) and making bad choices because of that!

So as far as the sit down part of the chef's table, is it just sit anywhere at the table?  Curious because sometimes they  want to sit you across from your partner or spouse, and I would prefer to sit next to mine, lol.  Anyone??

16 minutes ago, 13cheermom said:

So as far as the sit down part of the chef's table, is it just sit anywhere at the table?  Curious because sometimes they  want to sit you across from your partner or spouse, and I would prefer to sit next to mine, lol.  Anyone??

Our seating was pre-assigned on the Splendor, both times.  For the Breeze, I don't remember.

1 minute ago, fyree39 said:

Our seating was pre-assigned on the Splendor, both times.  For the Breeze, I don't remember.

Did you notice if the couples were seated across from one another or beside each other? Thanks!

2 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

Did you notice if the couples were seated across from one another or beside each other? Thanks!

we were seated next to each other.  Had little name cards for everybody.  But I suppose if your partner was acting stupid you could ask to sit elsewhere.  My wife has to worry about that more than I do.

10 minutes ago, originalgeek said:

we were seated next to each other.  Had little name cards for everybody.  But I suppose if your partner was acting stupid you could ask to sit elsewhere.  My wife has to worry about that more than I do.

Thanks!  No we would prefer to sit next to one another is why I asked.  My husband has a larger appetite than I do, so he will probably eat everything, whereas I would eat some of every item offered.  If we are sitting next to one another I could share some of my samples if he likes, lol.  We are going on our first Chef's Table on the Breeze this fall and are looking so forward to this new experience.  Have done all the other specialty restaurants and are ready for a new one. 

Just saw these posts and wondered.

When we got to the beef course, I was so stuffed that I couldn’t finish it and was wishing for a doggy bag! I did ask for my dessert “to-go” to take back to my husband (who did not attend) since I’m diabetic and had to stop somewhere. They had no problem doing that for me, and even sent a small sampler back for my brother in law who had to cancel due to seasickness. Very gracious staff and a great dining experience!!

We have found that the Chef's Table consists of many VERY SMALL portions.  Since this is a two or more hour adventure, pacing yourself isn't that difficult.  Also, you do NOT need to finish every presentation.  Be sure to bring your camera...every plate is a work of art.