Cruise Critic Community
Beltonian

Magellan To Amazon/Caribbean 2020

I am seriously thinking about going on this voyage and I would be grateful to hear any views from travellers who have been on previous trips there before I decide to book.  Many thanks.

We did this cruise in 2018. The itinerary is fantastic, but we did have some issues with the ship.

There seems to be a recurring cough and chest infection (many reviews before and after our voyage mentioned it). There are some 'dieselly' fumes on deck 5 - more so on deck 4 and where the tender exit is on deck 3.

The food was good in the MDR - the buffet was often disappointing.

Some of the barstaff were very good - one or two were dire (who serves a mixed drink in a glass straight out of the dishwasher which is too hot to hold?).

We booked last minute so got a very cheap deal - we would have been even more annoyed if we had paid the previous price they were asking.

Would we sail CMV again - very unlikely unless it was as cheap as chips - after all you get what you pay for.

Am booked on this. Friends have done this itinerary and their experience prompted me to book. Have sailed on Magellan before and enjoyed that experience too.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Last year I stayed at the Ibis London Thurrock which was comfortable, had decent food and was a reasonably quick taxi trip to the London Cruise Terminal at Tilbury.  Although the hotel is alongside the M25 the double glazing is excellent and I heard no noise - even though my window was opposite the motorway - during my stay.  Very pleasant reception staff.  A number of other cruise passengers stayed there and I shared a taxi with a couple which halved the £20 taxi fare.

We have stayed at the Premier Inn near lakeside. Keep an eye on the deals.

We have cruised the Amazon with P&O and loved it, and always said we would go back, and are watching this cruise along with other longer cruises. We have also cruised several times with CMV although not on Magellan. If the price comes down which I expect it to that may sway us to book.