Cruise Critic Community
syam

A Delicate Question

We can’t be the only ones with this issue. One of us requires the availability of a bathroom more often than most people. We’ve been on a few Azamara cruises, mostly to small ports where we could walk off the ships and enjoy ourselves walking around towns without organized tours. Or a short shuttle would bring us to the main tourist area. We had to forgo a terrific tour organized from the ship to one exotic location because the bus ride was about three hours each way and nobody at Azamara could verify if there was a toilet on the bus or how often, if at all, the bus might make a ‘pit-stop’. Other than arranging expensive private tours, has anyone discovered a creative way to cope with this issue or to get reliable info on longer tours and access to ‘facilities’? Much appreciated. 

Not sure about how to solve the bathroom issue, however in our travels, we have often found private tours to be less expensive than the ship tours and the ability to customize them is a plus.

I agree - private excursions are generally less expensive. If you decide what you want to do, CC is a great way to advertise and get others from your cruise to join you.

Other than that, perhaps wait until you are onboard and speak directly with Land Discoveries - they should have more details about the excursions and buses.  If not, they should be able to contact the tour operator.

You definitely wouldn’t be on an Azamara shorex bus for three hours without a toilet break.  I’ve done ship tours with relatively long journeys and have always found them to be very sympathetic in this regard.  Some of the tour buses do have toilets onboard, but it’s difficult to know if your tour would have one.

Phil

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

You definitely wouldn’t be on an Azamara shorex bus for three hours without a toilet break.  I’ve done ship tours with relatively long journeys and have always found them to be very sympathetic in this regard.  Some of the tour buses do have toilets onboard, but it’s difficult to know if your tour would have one.

Phil

Sometimes, even if the bus has a toilet it may not be open,

28 minutes ago, nordski said:

Sometimes, even if the bus has a toilet it may not be open,

Sometimes it is not open because the guide or driver does not want to clean it at the end of the tour . . . sad but true.

On a tour to the Alhambra from Malaga last year, one of my fellow passengers on the bus urgently needed to use the toilet quite some distance away from the next available "comfort break". The toilet was unlocked only after some intense negotiation with the guide who had initially lied to the gentleman enquiring on behalf of his friend, saying the toilet was broken.

Thanks all, for the speedy replies. Excellent info. You have confirmed my best hopes and worst fears! Coincidentally, the Alhambra was one of the places I was interested in.