Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
jamesnnb

Berths 91-93 San Pedro

Recommended Posts

Why is Princess using Berth 92 (instead of the commonly used Berth 93) for the Royal Princess?  All Royal Princess sail outs will be going out of Berth 92 for the foreseeable future.  Why the change for this particular ship?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jamesnnb said:

Why is Princess using Berth 92 (instead of the commonly used Berth 93) for the Royal Princess?  All Royal Princess sail outs will be going out of Berth 92 for the foreseeable future.  Why the change for this particular ship?

Might be a busy day with additional ships in port?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Royal seems to have a permanent home at 92 -- not just a particular busy day.  I'm thinking it either needs more space (92 being on the 'end' and/or additional boarding ramps are at 92)?  Just curious as to the reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesnnb said:

The Royal seems to have a permanent home at 92 -- not just a particular busy day.  I'm thinking it either needs more space (92 being on the 'end' and/or additional boarding ramps are at 92)?  Just curious as to the reason. 

I think it's because the Royal is a larger ship.  The Norwegian Bliss docks at 92 as well, regardless if any other ships are in port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1emerald1 said:

I think it's because the Royal is a larger ship.  The Norwegian Bliss docks at 92 as well, regardless if any other ships are in port.

That would be my guess about why...the Royal is 1083’ long & the Ruby is 951’.  

 

I’m having problems locating the passenger space in both terminals.  We’ve only used 92 decades ago but as I recall there was less space in that terminal.  Hopefully it’s been enlarged since then because 93 gets crowded with only 2600-3000 passengers & if 92 is smaller be worse with the Royal’s 3600 passengers.

 

https://www.portsamerica.com/operations/cruise-los-angeles-terminal-schedule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

That would be my guess about why...the Royal is 1083’ long & the Ruby is 951’.  

 

I’m having problems locating the passenger space in both terminals.  We’ve only used 92 decades ago but as I recall there was less space in that terminal.  Hopefully it’s been enlarged since then because 93 gets crowded with only 2600-3000 passengers & if 92 is smaller be worse with the Royal’s 3600 passengers.

 

https://www.portsamerica.com/operations/cruise-los-angeles-terminal-schedule

I just read a couple of reviews where the Emerald left at 92 for a Hawaiian cruise and the embarkation in all reviews was noted as a disaster.  Mainly because it was during one of our storms and there was not enough room inside so passengers were left standing outside in pouring rain.  My experience with that terminal was way back when, before online check in, and everyone had to present their paperwork to board.  So I would think that since there is not enough space inside for everyone to have a seat that boarding will take longer than it does at 93.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found more information...both terminals show a combined 100,000 sq.ft. of passenger space.  Berth 93 shows 58,000 sq. which leaves 32,000 sq.ft for Berth 92 for larger ships.

 

The port’s site shows berths lengths of 1150’-1550’ but doesn’t specifically list each berths length.  It appears to me that the routine Princess B93 would be 1150’ and with the Royal being only 67’ shorter the decision was made to move to the 1550’ B92.

 

Although since B92 appears to be about half the size of B93 it’s going to be chaotic at B92 for passengers on the Royal.  We have 4 cruises from LA booked on the Royal and hopefully it won’t be too bad.  If it’s now standard to have all larger ships at B92 then the Port of LA needs to build a larger cruise terminal.

 

My apologies if my numbers are off but based on my searches that’s what I’ve located.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I found more information...both terminals show a combined 100,000 sq.ft. of passenger space.  Berth 93 shows 58,000 sq. which leaves 32,000 sq.ft for Berth 92 for larger ships.

 

The port’s site shows berths lengths of 1150’-1550’ but doesn’t specifically list each berths length.  It appears to me that the routine Princess B93 would be 1150’ and with the Royal being only 67’ shorter the decision was made to move to the 1550’ B92.

 

Although since B92 appears to be about half the size of B93 it’s going to be chaotic at B92 for passengers on the Royal.  We have 4 cruises from LA booked on the Royal and hopefully it won’t be too bad.  If it’s now standard to have all larger ships at B92 then the Port of LA needs to build a larger cruise terminal.

 

My apologies if my numbers are off but based on my searches that’s what I’ve located.

Also, the day of the Mexico cruise, 4/27, the Star will also be in port at 93.  I did a BVE last year that left from 93 and was chatting with an agent in the waiting area.  This was just a few days before the Bliss was due to arrive.  She said the agents were in a tizzy about boarding so many passengers, albeit the Bliss has way more passengers than the Royal has.  I'm just prepared for longer lines and a longer time to board, but possibly not having a place to sit is a big concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

Also, the day of the Mexico cruise, 4/27, the Star will also be in port at 93.  I did a BVE last year that left from 93 and was chatting with an agent in the waiting area.  This was just a few days before the Bliss was due to arrive.  She said the agents were in a tizzy about boarding so many passengers, albeit the Bliss has way more passengers than the Royal has.  I'm just prepared for longer lines and a longer time to board, but possibly not having a place to sit is a big concern.

We’re also on that cruise & the following one so won’t leave the B92 terminal during turnaround day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

92 terminal is basically a tent adjacent to a small terminal building.  It's about 1/3 the size of 93.

 

We're on 3/23 and are told to not hurry since everybody getting off after SA cruise will get fingerprinted including crew.  Princess optimistically says we will depart on time.  Ha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops! ☺️  In my rush to post information I just discovered a typo...B92 would be about 42,000 sq.ft. and B93 about 58,000 sq.ft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ferd Berfle said:

 

92 terminal is basically a tent adjacent to a small terminal building.  It's about 1/3 the size of 93.

 

We're on 3/23 and are told to not hurry since everybody getting off after SA cruise will get fingerprinted including crew.  Princess optimistically says we will depart on time.  Ha!

This was the information I found:

  • B87 - USS Iowa
  • B91 - tent we used years ago before the USS Iowa was docked
  • B92 - the smaller cruise terminal building where the port’s schedule shows the Royal docked
  • B93 - the larger cruise terminal shown in the Love Boat

 

D53C0723-3CFC-439D-B5CA-69DB1373F58D.jpeg

1F173667-FFA0-4952-89EB-792B97F1D97E.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Tent is where our luggage was when we got off last November - I think they may use it as luggage processing for both unless 2 little ships are in 91 and 92.  The "Emerald Princess"  thread report was that folks had to wait out in the rain on boarding on 2/2 - I suppose they didn't think to prepare the tent as a waiting area.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Ferd Berfle said:

That Tent is where our luggage was when we got off last November - I think they may use it as luggage processing for both unless 2 little ships are in 91 and 92..

 

Thanks...that makes sense to better utilize the tent in addition to the terminal building...did you disembark at the B92 terminal building & go to the B91 tent for luggage?  Or disembark into the tent where CBP processed passengers before claiming luggage?

 

Using the B92 terminal building for embarking passengers & their luggage and the B91 tent for disembarking passengers & luggage would appear to be the best procedure for larger ships at the smaller B92 terminal building.

 

There aren’t as many smaller ships that could simultaneously dock at B92 & B91.  Recently saw an old Love Boat show and the Pacific Princess (550’) only used about half of the 1150’ B93 dock.  I’m thankful that we got to sail that ship on a 5-day repositioning cruise from LA to Honolulu in 1992.

 

 

Edited by Astro Flyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a youtube link to the port.  It's not as good as the Webcams, but you can see the ships departing, and I guess if you get up early enough the ships arriving.  The Royal will dock directly behind the USS Iowa and the 93 berth is just around the corner, no ships in today however.

 

 

If you google YouTube Los Angeles cruise port live stream you will get the link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks...that makes sense to better utilize the tent in addition to the terminal building...did you disembark at the B92 terminal building & go to the B91 tent for luggage?  Or disembark into the tent where CBP processed passengers before claiming luggage?

 

Using the B92 terminal building for embarking passengers & their luggage and the B91 tent for disembarking passengers would appear to be the best procedure for larger ships at the smaller B92 terminal building.

 

There aren’t as many smaller ships that could simultaneously dock at B92 & B91.  Recently saw an old Love Boat show and the Pacific Princess (550’) only used half of the 1150’ B93 dock.  I’m thankful that we got to sail that ship on a 5-day repositioning cruise from LA to Honolulu in 1992.

 

 

 

 

Yes:  Embark B92, Disembark into B91 tent for luggage and CBP (pick up luggage first now) in San Pedro terminals

 

I've seen a Seabourn ship at 92 that looked like there'd be room at 91...

 

While we started cruising in 1991 - we didn't take a Princess Cruise until 2003 on the new PA

Edited by Ferd Berfle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ferd Berfle said:

Yes:  Embark B92, Disembark into B91 for luggage and CBP

 

I've seen a Seabourn ship at 92 that looked like there'd be room at 91...

 

While we started cruising in 1991 - we didn't take a Princess Cruise until 2003 on the new PA

Thanks...that’s apparently the best way to utilize the available space.  Our only disembarkation in the B91 tent was arriving from Sydney on the Star in 2009.

 

Ferd was funny on Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Oops! ☺️  In my rush to post information I just discovered a typo...B92 would be about 42,000 sq.ft. and B93 about 58,000 sq.ft.

Dang and I was just about to point out your math  ........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jamesnnb said:

Why is Princess using Berth 92 (instead of the commonly used Berth 93) for the Royal Princess?  All Royal Princess sail outs will be going out of Berth 92 for the foreseeable future.  Why the change for this particular ship?

We have used 92 a few times and the only time we had a problem was due to the sailing before having had a norovirus outbreak and the ship was delayed for 3 hours for cleaning. Last September, we boarded the Coral in less than a half hour and that was with the DW having to use the elevators.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a thought, perhaps they believe that since the Royal will be a Medallion Class ship, the boarding process will be simpler and easier with substantial numbers of cruisers having fully preregistered and being able to board quickly.  I am not saying that will be the case but theorizing why Princess might believe the smaller terminal will not lead to significant hassles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, wheezedr said:

Here’s a thought, perhaps they believe that since the Royal will be a Medallion Class ship, the boarding process will be simpler and easier with substantial numbers of cruisers having fully preregistered and being able to board quickly.  I am not saying that will be the case but theorizing why Princess might believe the smaller terminal will not lead to significant hassles.

It could be the Royal would sit out to far into the channel if tied up at 93.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jamesnnb said:

Why is Princess using Berth 92 (instead of the commonly used Berth 93) for the Royal Princess?  All Royal Princess sail outs will be going out of Berth 92 for the foreseeable future.  Why the change for this particular ship?

There is only one cruise center that services all three berths. No mater what berth, you use the same door. 93 is a slip that is perpendicular to the channel. 

The royal is 1083 feet. Possible this ship is so long it may stick out into the channel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jlp20 said:

There is only one cruise center that services all three berths. No mater what berth, you use the same door. 93 is a slip that is perpendicular to the channel. 

The royal is 1083 feet. Possible this ship is so long it may stick out into the channel.

There is a second building for the other two slips 91/92. Luggage is dropped off at the tent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any info re berth 46 in San Pedro?

We will be boarding the Star March 30 from this berth.

TIA

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, eqj60 said:

Any info re berth 46 in San Pedro?

We will be boarding the Star March 30 from this berth.

TIA

 

Here’s a link from a few years ago showing the Berth 46 area:

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2145627-embarking-at-pier-93-debarking-at-berth-46https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/embarkation_port_guides/Los_Angeles_Info.pdf-san-pedro/?tab=comments#comment-45737680

 

Princess provides a map for the berths they use:

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/embarkation_port_guides/Los_Angeles_Info.pdf

 

 

 

9476B575-34F2-45E9-B398-F5DBA4F224CE.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...