Anyone done 14 Day S. Caribbean on Gem?

djpk2003

We have never gone on such a lengthy cruise and I was hoping for some feedback. Anyone done this cruise in particular? I'm mostly curious about sea days - since there are 3 there and 3 back - would love to know activities schedule, etc. If anyone has the dailies, they'd be a lifesaver! Also was wondering if they do the cheap laundry twice or only once? I know on our 11 day they just did it once half way through. Trying to think about packing quantities, etc. 

Thanks in advance! 

• Like 1

My wife and I did a 14 day Southern on the Escape February 2018. Three sea days going down were not too bad, coming back was a different story. Day one was fine, day two was so windy all of the outside decks were closed with the exception of the pool deck. Day three all outside decks were closed due to wind as you can image it was cold also. The cruise would have been perfect it would could have skipped the last three days and flown home from St Kitts LOL.

Nothing like being stuck inside with 4000 plus people for two days, that was our first and last cruise with 3 sea days in the winter. Laundry special was offered twice. Your best bet is to buy a Thermal Spa pass, the Gem's is really nice. It kept us from going crazy coming back

After we took our first 11 day cruise more than a decade ago on the Dawn, and we never looked back at 7 day cruises.  A lot depends on what you like to do, whether it is bingo, etc.  I don't do bingo, deal or no deal etc., but still enjoy the down time.  My wife and I are readers, and we love the promenade for walks.  We try to go to any talks that the captain and staff offer, ship tours.  Be aware, it doesn't have the bells and whistles the mega ships have.   As the other poster mentioned, you my run into high winds on sea days.  We like the "Jewel" class ships because of their size.  Bottom line, if you like the "smaller" ships, I think you will as well.  They offer laundry service about the 4th day of each week.

On 2/25/2019 at 4:31 PM, djpk2003 said:

We have never gone on such a lengthy cruise and I was hoping for some feedback. Anyone done this cruise in particular? I'm mostly curious about sea days - since there are 3 there and 3 back - would love to know activities schedule, etc. If anyone has the dailies, they'd be a lifesaver! Also was wondering if they do the cheap laundry twice or only once? I know on our 11 day they just did it once half way through. Trying to think about packing quantities, etc. 

Thanks in advance! 

I have the same interest in activities as we are considering the Gem 14 or 13 nights out of Boston to the Caribbean. We did a 14 night NCL Dawn out of NYC back in  the autumn of 2007 and enjoyed it. I remember second city comedy with classes for improv. Very nice cruise. 

Loved to know if Ncl Gem has Zumba and dancing opportunities?

I remember the beach ocean water being nice and warm in the autumn.

Recently did a transatlantic on RCL Visions and tons of activities October 2018.

Just got off Grandeur 12 night February 2019 Pathetic activities. Boring and lots of down time. 

Have yet to find current activities schedule for the Gem. Still looking.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:31 PM, djpk2003 said:

Thanks in advance! 

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:31 PM, djpk2003 said:

Thanks in advance! 

For me, there is nothing like a 14 day cruise.  Unlike Laszlo (who is a great guy and we have chatted many times on roll calls) I am big fan of sea days and always find things to do onboard the ship. 

In fact, being from Long Island, cruising out of NYC is a pleasure since I leave my home and an hour and a half later, I am onboard, having lunch and getting ready to enjoy a super vacation.  We have done at least five 14 day cruises and I have booked the GEM 14 day cruise (one of my favorite NCL ships) for the winter of 2021.

IMHO, once you take a 14 day cruise it is hard to go back to even 10, 11 or certainly not 7 day cruises.

We have done the 14 day cruise 4X and are on the 14 day Bliss cruise next January.

The weather in the winter can be a" crap shoot," but usually I have found that there can be some winters where there are may be a few sea days that are not conducive for outdoor activities, but we have found that there are plenty of things to do or relax onboard the ship...can't remember specific activities but similar to the 10 and 11 day cruises. The "cheap laundry" is usually once per cruise, perhaps midway or day 8.  Since I am an NCL Platinum Plus Latitudes, I get free laundry once anytime during the cruise and have not payed much attention to when it is on the cruise. That being said, I always overpack and do all my undergarments, shorts and t-shirts onboard, but my wife does not trust their laundry.

Don:classic_rolleyes:  

Loved the sea days going south-by day 2 we were in shorts.  I was with my sister and parents. I loved the wind-down, relaxing aspect & it gave us a chance to fully explore the ship.  (We were on the Breakaway out of NY). 

On the way home, we just wanted to be home. It didn’t help that we hit very windy weather which forced us to stay inside. 

We didn’t feel the need to have laundry done, we each had a medium sized suitcase.  Our dinner dresses were worn twice and a couple of pairs of shorts worked well for the ports.