Hub App Chat questions

341A

I plan on getting social internet for our daughter.  I would also like to use the carnival hub app and the chat feature to communicate with her.  How does this work if only one of us can be connected to wifi at a time? How will I know if she is connected while on the other side of the ship?  Does the chat feature cost an extra $5 for each of us or just one charge?

The HUB app chat feature is $5 per device for the entire cruise.  So, you purchase chat for both you and your daughter and can message her at any time.

The social media package is completely separate.  If you choose to log on using her credentials, you will disconnect her and log yourself in (and visa versa).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, emoorehead said:

Does the Hub app work on airplane mode?

Yes.  Put your phone into airplane mode.  Go back into settings and turn on wifi capability.  Attach to ship's wifi (necessary for the app to work).  No charge unless you choose to use the chat feature.

12 hours ago, Hoops_Baller said:

Is it easy to text your group on the hub app or is it better (the $5 per device seems cheap if the functionality is much better) to get the chat feature to keep everyone connected?

To be clear, you cannot "text" through the HUB app without the $5 per device.  That IS the chat feature.  There is no other communication available through the HUB app other than the chat feature.

Ahhh, thank you for the clarification SchoifmomSo you have to buy the chat feature on the Hub app to text through it.  Otherwise it's just ship/port info and schedules...  Sounds like we will have to purchase the chat feature.

Do you make the purchase through the app once on board or somewhere on Carnival's site prior to boarding?

4 minutes ago, Hoops_Baller said:

Ahhh, thank you for the clarification SchoifmomSo you have to buy the chat feature on the Hub app to text through it.  Otherwise it's just ship/port info and schedules...  Sounds like we will have to purchase the chat feature.

Do you make the purchase through the app once on board or somewhere on Carnival's site prior to boarding?

On board. You will "purchase it" right through the app itself. It's been a while, but I think it used to ask for your last name and the folio number on your card - it's been through many upgrades since I last used it on board.

1 hour ago, BigBuoys said:

On board. You will "purchase it" right through the app itself. It's been a while, but I think it used to ask for your last name and the folio number on your card - it's been through many upgrades since I last used it on board.

Exactly!

One more question. If you get the chat feature, how do you connect with people? Do you have a "chat number" you can share with others? I am thinking my teen will probably want to chat with other kids that she meets on the ship. TIA

On 2/26/2019 at 10:27 AM, Schoifmom said:

The HUB app chat feature is $5 per device for the entire cruise.  So, you purchase chat for both you and your daughter and can message her at any time.

The social media package is completely separate.  If you choose to log on using her credentials, you will disconnect her and log yourself in (and visa versa).

You will have to pay $5 per phone in order to register for the Hub messenger app.  We did it a few years ago, but felt it was a waste of money.  Several messages between me and hubby took several hours to be delivered.  You're better off having both of you getting one of the social wi-fi plans and simply send messages via the apps it supports.  I prefer the value plan which includes email, all of the social networks, news and most importanly SPORTS SCORES!!!  We're traveling during March Madness.

I just sailed on Vista the first week of February and used the app.  Worked like a charm.  It had even saved my friends from last year.  If you have any linked bookings, it will add them too.  The only negative for me is that group chat replies didn't always go to the same original group text.  We had a group of like, 19 people, and sometimes the replies would be it's own thread, so you have a long list of texts to sift through.  But other than that, I love it.

18 hours ago, PlanoDebbie said:

You will have to pay $5 per phone in order to register for the Hub messenger app.  We did it a few years ago, but felt it was a waste of money.  Several messages between me and hubby took several hours to be delivered.  You're better off having both of you getting one of the social wi-fi plans and simply send messages via the apps it supports.  I prefer the value plan which includes email, all of the social networks, news and most importanly SPORTS SCORES!!!  We're traveling during March Madness.

Seems like this would be a problem if only one person on the wi-fi plans can be connected at a time?  We are trying to communicate the whereabouts/meeting places, etc for 2 adults and 3 children (10, 15, 17).  Long delays through the hub messenger app is certainly not good either, but its seems to have worked well for others....

21 minutes ago, Hoops_Baller said:

Seems like this would be a problem if only one person on the wi-fi plans can be connected at a time?  We are trying to communicate the whereabouts/meeting places, etc for 2 adults and 3 children (10, 15, 17).  Long delays through the hub messenger app is certainly not good either, but its seems to have worked well for others....

I never experienced any delays with the Hub Chat - but I can't speak for everyone. I do believe you at least have to leave it running in the background. Maybe that is the reason why some people experience delays?

1 hour ago, Hoops_Baller said:

If you went the route of using the wifi plan to be able to text of FB message each other, you would have to purchase a plan for each person.

The app has always worked well for us.  Just be sure to keep it open.