Cruise Critic Community
CH_ca

Where to keep personal belonging while at the beach?

Actually for all water sports. We always only try to bring only the basics when going ashore (ID, 1 credit card, phone - not waterproof, some cash). We tried the so-called waterproof bags and boxes. They are never 100% reliable. So we tend to take turns going into the water and one of us will be watching our belongings at the beach. It's just not much fun if someone is always left behind when the rest of the group is having fun! Just want to see how everyone else does it.

What waterproof "bag" or "box" have you tried? I've been using the Aquapac Keymaster for 20 plus years, maybe closer to 30 and its never leaked and I've been using another Aquapac for my iPhone since the cases first came out. Again never leaked and my iPhone in a waterproof bag takes better pics and videos than any underwater camera I've ever had.

I've never owned a Dry Pak product, but they get great reviews too and lots of YouTube evaluations of them.

I bought those crappy plastic "waterproof" boxes on the cruise. They lasted one to two uses. When you started trusting them, that's when they failed you! I then looked for better quality ones similar to Dry Pak in luggage and travel stores. Again, fooled you a few times and you learned your lesson after that!  That was years ago and I've never bothered to search for "waterproof" bags ever since.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to see if I can find the aquapac. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. :)

I have a Kyss bag (link posted above) that we bought for our last Caribbean cruise. I think the key is to bring as little as possible with you to the beach. If you go to a beach with no trees, there is nothing to attach the bag to, so that's a problem. I also know leaving valuables in a rental car isn't the answer as the car can get broken into. I'm not sure what the best answer is, short of leaving one person with the stuff while the other person swims.

I wonder if a running belt type thing would work for keeping credit card, ID, and room key card safe while swimming? Would the salt water do anything to the card? It certainly wouldn't protect a phone or camera though. 

Your room key, ID (drivers lic)  and even cash CAN get wet....if you have a velcro pocket on your swim trunks, stuff them in there!  Salt water won't hurt them.

Otherwise, don't bring too much of value!

On 2/27/2019 at 5:14 AM, TwinMamainMN said:

If you go to a beach with no trees, there is nothing to attach the bag to, so that's a problem.

I wear the Aquapac Keymaster around my neck when I surf, swim, skin dive in HI.