Do you buy Vacation Protection?

firstcruiseoct11

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

CC is littered with posts of people who WISHED they had taken insurance and have no recourse.  It amazes me how many there are.  There are many options that depending on the cost of your VACATION (not just the cruise in most cases but getting to and from and hotel stays as well) and preexisting conditions which make it foolish not to buy.

True, but how many of these people have been financially ruined? Now compare that to the money wasted on insurance here. People have something come up, and of course want their $2-$3k back. However, they weren't wishing they bought it when they didn't need it, only when they needed it.

I'm also not entirely convinced that most of those who needed to cancel, just happened to unexpectedly get unlucky. There's a lot of things people won't admit.

1 minute ago, Joebucks said:

True, but how many of these people have been financially ruined? Now compare that to the money wasted on insurance here. People have something come up, and of course want their $2-$3k back. However, they weren't wishing they bought it when they didn't need it, only when they needed it.

I'm also not entirely convinced that most of those who needed to cancel, just happened to unexpectedly get unlucky. There's a lot of things people won't admit.

It is not about financial ruin alone (that is the extreme case) but way more about the investment in the cruise (in this case).  Protecting a 4k cost with a $130 policy is a no brainer.  Of course there are assumptions in my example, but it is reasonable.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

It is not about financial ruin alone (that is the extreme case) but way more about the investment in the cruise (in this case).  Protecting a 4k cost with a $130 policy is a no brainer.  Of course there are assumptions in my example, but it is reasonable.  

If it was a no brainer, then the insurance company would be losing money.

A $4k cruise lost is not catastrophic.  Odds are generally in your favor to not buy cancelation.  Odds in your favor is the most basic, good financial advice you can give. 

20 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Don't forget that $130 doesn't guarantee $4,000. It still has many conditions. Many plans may only cover 50-75% of that cost depending on where you fall in the terms. So you'd still lose $1,000 - $2,000 even if you paid extra for insurance, and had to use it. 

19 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Please show me where I assumed that the person does? 

Also, lack of cruise insurance is not any kind of proof of lack of catastrophic emergency insurance.  I, for instance, don't buy one, ever.  But most certainly have the other (in a few forms, in place already, some of which is an included benefit on my credit card).

Sure, because that's the situation the other poster has in place ....... Never buys insurance, says that insurance is a game of odds, boasts about the savings not to, never buys extended warranties, never mentions having anything in place for the huge cost of a medivac or illness in port. This person admits not buying insurance and is a risk taker ......... But you're right. LOL! :classic_huh:

7 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Everyone knows that most private if not all medical insurance coverage in the US does not cover most if any out of country medical expenses

This is totally incorrect. Most insurance DOES cover emergencies when out of the country. Everyone should call their provider and know what their coverages are.  If so many people have this totally wrong assumption, then it's no wonder so many buy trip insurance and tell everyone to get it. 

We take roughly 6 trips per year at $80/year to cover the family for medevac and transportation. About $13 a trip compared to $130-$200+ and we have all the coverage one would reasonably need (and more). 

Even on the low end of $130, the savings, compounded out to about $50,000 over a 20 year period. Can sure pay for a lot of missed $4000 cruises with $50k.

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Don't forget that $130 doesn't guarantee $4,000. It still has many conditions. Many plans may only cover 50-75% of that cost depending on where you fall in the terms. So you'd still lose $1,000 - $2,000 even if you paid extra for insurance, and had to use it. 

I do not beleive that to be true ans use this company all the time.  Medical and trip interuption 100% every time assuming no preexisting consition violation.  I am 100% sure on this.  

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

I do not beleive that to be true ans use this company all the time.  Medical and trip interuption 100% every time assuming no preexisting consition violation.  I am 100% sure on this.  

I believe it depends on when you buy the coverage compared to final payment. It's why you are asked that question when quoting. I'm not 100% sure on that though. 

1 minute ago, BNBR said:

I believe it depends on when you buy the coverage compared to final payment. It's why you are asked that question when quoting. I'm not 100% sure on that though. 

That may be true, we always recommend to buy within 21 day of deposit which covers everything including preexisting conditions.

13 minutes ago, BNBR said:

This is totally incorrect. Most insurance DOES cover emergencies when out of the country. Everyone should call their provider and know what their coverages are.  If so many people have this totally wrong assumption, then it's no wonder so many buy trip insurance and tell everyone to get it. 

We take roughly 6 trips per year at $80/year to cover the family for medevac and transportation. About $13 a trip compared to $130-$200+ and we have all the coverage one would reasonably need (and more). 

Even on the low end of $130, the savings, compounded out to about $50,000 over a 20 year period. Can sure pay for a lot of missed $4000 cruises with $50k.

Are you paying that $80 out of pocket? If so , you are buying insurance. My health care plans offer out of country coverage for a small additional fee. Are you paying extra or does your basic health insurance plan cover your out of country expenses? Maybe some medical emergency only otherwise that has to be reimbursed later. Are you paying extra? 

Edited by tallnthensome

6 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Are you paying that $80 out of pocket? If so , you are buying insurance. My health care plans offer out of country coverage for a small additional fee. Are you paying extra or does your basic health insurance plan cover your out of country expenses? Maybe some medical emergency only otherwise that has to be reimbursed later. Are you paying extra? 

I pay $80 for evac through another company which covers us for a full year, unlimited trips, including benefits like returning our RV home if we are camping as well as flights, etc.  I've always said evac makes sense.  And that EVERYONE should call their primary insurance provider and have a full understanding of what is covered when traveling, how it's covered, reimbursed, etc.

You just wrote that everyone knows most providers if not all, don't provide coverage out of the US.  And now you are saying yours does.  Can't you just admit you were wrong?  Most insurance companies DO cover out of the country expenses and you generally need to pay out of pocket then be reimbursed.  Keep full receipts, etc.  I don't pay extra.  This is standard coverage with most health insurance.  Emergencies only, of course.  And again, everyone should be well aware of how their insurance coverage works overseas.  If they are comfortable with the coverage, then a very low cost evac plan probably makes a lot more sense then comprehensive travel insurance.

6 minutes ago, BNBR said:

I pay $80 for evac through another company which covers us for a full year, unlimited trips, including benefits like returning our RV home if we are camping as well as flights, etc.  I've always said evac makes sense.  And that EVERYONE should call their primary insurance provider and have a full understanding of what is covered when traveling, how it's covered, reimbursed, etc.

You just wrote that everyone knows most providers if not all, don't provide coverage out of the US.  And now you are saying yours does.  Can't you just admit you were wrong?  Most insurance companies DO cover out of the country expenses and you generally need to pay out of pocket then be reimbursed.  Keep full receipts, etc.  I don't pay extra.  This is standard coverage with most health insurance.  Emergencies only, of course.  And again, everyone should be well aware of how their insurance coverage works overseas.  If they are comfortable with the coverage, then a very low cost evac plan probably makes a lot more sense then comprehensive travel insurance.

Most of your TYPICAL health care plans DO NOT cover medical expenses abroad and the definition of emergency can be very vague. You break a foot? That is not covered as it's not an emergency. Life threatening heart attack maybe some coverage through your health plan. I can pay extra with mine out of pocket if I want travel coverage. 

Edited by tallnthensome

2 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Most of your TYPICAL health care plans DO NOT cover medical expenses abroad and the definition of emergency can be very vague. You break a foot? That is not covered as it's not an emergency. Life threatening heart attack maybe some coverage through your health plan. I can pay extra with mine out of pocket if I want travel coverage. 

You are seriously just making things up as you go along. It's totally unhelpful. 

Yes, most typical coverage covers emergencies abroad and a broken foot would be included. 

Major carriers like Aetna, Humana, Cigna, etc all provide this on their typical plans. 

Please, stop making things up. People read these forums and make very real decisions based on what is said. 

Just now, BNBR said:

You are seriously just making things up as you go along. It's totally unhelpful. 

Yes, most typical coverage covers emergencies abroad and a broken foot would be included. 

Major carriers like Aetna, Humana, Cigna, etc all provide this on their typical plans. 

Please, stop making things up. People read these forums and make very real decisions based on what is said. 

I have Cigna and Blue Cross ......... Coverage is limited to some emergency coverage and the definition of emergency is vague. If you want full medical coverage abroad you need to purchase that as a rider separately. 

6 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

I have Cigna and Blue Cross ......... Coverage is limited to some emergency coverage and the definition of emergency is vague. If you want full medical coverage abroad you need to purchase that as a rider separately. 

Perfect.  Cigna has a handy guide right here:

https://www.cigna.com/assets/docs/nmusd/urgent-emergent-care-outside-the-united-states.pdf

They cover emergencies out of the country and they use their standard guidelines for what determines an emergency, which is not vague at all.  

Blue Cross is similar.

FYI:

Emergencies
The standard policies of many providers--including Aetna, Cigna, and Humana, to name a few--cover overseas emergencies.

But what exactly qualifies as an emergency? Insurance companies use something called the prudent layperson standard. This means that if a reasonable person would believe the condition could lead to death or permanent damage, the situation is deemed an emergency and will therefore be covered.

If a member experiences chest pains and thinks he's having a heart attack, an emergency-room visit would be covered, says Jackie Aube, vice president of product management for Cigna, "even if it turns out to be gas." James Coates, M.D., senior medical director for Aetna, says altitude sickness, broken bones, dog bites, heat stroke, and cuts requiring stitches are also examples of what would be covered under the standard.

Edited by BNBR

7 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

My Cigna has told me there may be some coverage for life threatening emergencies also it would have to be work related for any others. Break a foot while parasailing and you may be SOL .......

Cigna's own handy flyer:  "Emergency examples can include broken bones..."

And I'll reiterate yet again.  Everyone should know exactly how their overseas coverage works.  If you don't have the funds to pay out of pocket and be reimbursed, you may want a supplemental travel plan, for example.  And even then, make sure they pay and don't just reimburse also!!!!!  But yes, most insurance companies do provide coverage for overseas emergencies, which means you only need a very inexpensive evac plan if you are comfortable with the coverage provided.  If you are not comfortable with it, then look in to supplemental plans.

Edited by BNBR

20 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Which company do you usually use?

On 2/27/2019 at 8:26 AM, firstcruiseoct11 said:

Our date for our final payment is fast approaching. I am trying to decide if I should add Vacation Protection that is offered by Carnival. 

Sometimes I do...I am old

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 1:19 PM, firstcruiseoct11 said:

For four of us for our upcoming cruise it's going to be $334.00 to add it. That's why I was wondering if it was worth it. But we are traveling with our kids and I know anything can happen. I hate to be kicking myself in the butt later on 

Check with www.insuremytrip.com.....much better coverage and prices than through the cruise ship.  And there are a few policies that cover the kids for free!!!  If you can’t find them just call and ask.  Very nice people who will help you with what you need.

We have purchased our trip insurance through them for 15 yrs...