help: active excursions with kids are our favorites

JollyDad

I'll be with my 3 kids, 11, 13, and 15 y/o in St Thomas on the Oasis late March on a day with 13000+ on port.

Our port time is 10:30 to 7:00 pm

We love active things.  Our favorite two excursions over the years have been the Baths when we stopped at Tortola and the Blue Hole in Jamaica.   Climbing things and jumping in the water from highish objects are always big hits.

We also love wildlife.  We have been to Coki beach and enjoyed the calm water and great easy access to seeing fish.  I think we would like seeing sea turtles up close, we have seen them once but they were far beneath us on the floor of the sea where we were snorkeling.  We are looking for something active in St Martin also.  We were Captain Bob's boat there once and the kids liked it but did not love it.  Their favorite part was jumping off the boat to swim.  

We are comfortable not going on ship excursions. Any ideas are welcome and appreciated.   

Edited by JollyDad

I have heard that some private boat trips will take you to places where you can jump in the water, but I think that because of insurance restrictions in US, they try to be very quiet about any jumping in the water.

The nature trail at Magens is a hike up the mountain. There may be a lookout half way up - not sure if it survived the storms.

You're pretty much guaranteed to see turtles if you go to Maho Beach on St John. You would take a taxi to Red Hook and ferry to St John and taxi to Maho (arrange for driver to return later). You can rent equipment from the Beach Bum shop upstairs by the ferry terminal.

Or you can hike to Honeymoon Beach on St John and buy a pass that gives you a chair, kayak, Paddle Board, snorkel, etc.