Cruise Critic Community
Floridadude

Strange items you pack... for your cruise?

I have been on 45 + cruises in the last 20 years.

My packing habits sure have changed.

I will be the first to admit I have some strange habits.

I pack my own bath towels from home, older ones that I can just throw before cruise is over.

I HATE scratchy cruise ship towels!

Cruise ship toilet paper, aka sandpaper on a roll.

I bring my own Cottonelle.

I pack older clothes that I don’t care for anymore, and leave in a bag last day of cruise with note so cabin steward knows their garbage.

That way I have an empty suitcase for lots of great things I buy at the ports of call.

Or since I ask friends and family to save their old suitcases when getting new ones, I sometimes just leave everything in my suitcase for trash with note and leave empty handed. Or they can be donated to someone that needs clothing in great condition.

Sometimes I’ll board the ship with just an empty suitcase and buy new clothing on the ship or at the ports. Love the Bamboo clothing and sheet store.

Last cruise brought back a whole set of unique fish shaped dinner plates, salad bowls, coffee mugs.

That was heavy, thank goodness for elevators on ship and port terminal.

My travel friend has definitely gone with an empty suitcase because she plans on buying a lot of stuff in our travels. One of my other friends does the bring old shirts and socks and trash them along the way to free up space for new things or as a way to get rid of old things. 

I for sure packed stuff on my first cruise that was unnecessary but since I had been heavily land based // plane traveling for years before, I didn't over-pack but because I didn't have to fly I feel like I packed more than I would have normally.   

The OP might want to consider the extra work she is causing her steward when she departs, leaving a suitcase, clothes, and towels. All of that needs to be lugged away by the steward when he has  so many rooms to clean in preparation for new guests. But to each his/her own. And at least he/she didn’t imply that the stewards are happy to keep all the crap. 

I pack travel size cleaning supplies so I can sanitize the room myself when we get there.   I also bring an air mattress for sleeping on the balcony.  When its time to go we deflate it and put it in the trash.

On 2/27/2019 at 11:11 AM, Floridadude said:

Cruise ship toilet paper, aka sandpaper on a roll.

I bring my own Cottonelle.

There a reason cruise ship toilet paper is so flimsy and rough at the same time.  Black water (toilet) plumbing on a cruise ship isn't like a city sewer; it's more like a septic system.  The toilet paper must break down easily in the water; otherwise, it could take up unnecessary space or even clog pipes.  (And then you'll be "that person".)  Fancy stuff like Charmin or Cottonelle requires a bigger volume of water and a stronger flow rate to break down, than what a typical cruise ship has.  Vacuum flushes in toilets nonewithstanding.

Gray water (everything other than toilets) plumbing isn't built to handle anything non-liquid, obviously.  Galley sinks probably have garbage disposers.

I have a home based custom sugar cookie business and I typically bring cookies to pass out to ship employees on a cruise. I also give them to tour guides and such on excursions. It makes me happy to see such big smiles when I give a crew member a cookie. 

2101B1EC-22A5-472A-BDC6-F353098EB9C0.jpeg

Those custom cookies are so cute!! 

Our last cruise, I folded my tip bills into little shirts - it was a Hawaiian cruise. I was thinking like little Hawaiian shirts! 😛 I put them into little envelopes with a Hawaiian print and the word "Mahalo" (Hawaiian for "thank you") printed across them. 

Roll of Gorilla Tape ( better than Duct Tape )

Outlet Multiple Outlet Plug In

Extra pen and pencils with legal pad