Half Moon Cay vs. Princess Cays - Comparison

MistyRo76

For those who have sailed to both HMC and Princess Cays, which one was your favorite and why? I've only been to HMC so far. But we are looking at a couple different cruise options on the Liberty for 2020 and one goes to HMC and the other goes to Princess Cays (with Nassau being the other port on both itineraries). Pricing is within $20-30 pp difference for the type of cabin we are looking to get, so that's not really a factor. 

My initial thought is to do HMC because the other times I've been there, I've just loved it so much! I think it is absolutely beautiful and makes an awesome beach day! But am I missing out on something wonderful not doing PC? 

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts! 

HMC easily wins.   Princess Cays has one very crowded beach area (to the left over the bridge) so we went to the right side instead but the water was very rocky and we did not particularly enjoy it.  I think we've been to PC twice.   I would take HMC anytime.  Perfect crescent of pristine beach and gorgeous water. 

PC has better snorkeling since it is a rockier beach.  If you are there for soft sand and clear water, HMC can't be beat - just not a lot to see.  We did see several "clear" fish though, and the water was so clear you don't even need a mask and snorkel - you can just look down from above and see them.

21 hours ago, cruisinmems said:

Do you tender to PC too?  If so, do you not get to go because of rough water, wind, etc like what happens at HMC?  Thanks.

Yes, you also tender to PC so there's always the chance of rough water, etc.  and having it become a SEA Day.  

Thank you.  We have tried HMC 4 times and only made it in once.  It was beautiful!  Will be trying PC in October so didn't know if it worked the same way or not.  I am always happy with an extra sea day too!  I'm not hard to please, at least I will be on the ship!  LOL

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cruisinmems said:

We have tried HMC 4 times and only made it in once.  

Could it be the time of year you are going? The most   'misses" seem to happen in November and December. We are 8 for 8 getting there...toughest was a December sailing. Oddly, the winds were strong from the west, which made for bigger waves on the beach, and the ocean was warmer.

Thanks for the feedback! I was leaning toward HMC and this sealed the deal. We aren't big snorkelers and really just want a nice beach to lay out and want to be able to enjoy hanging out in the ocean with a cocktail in hand! 

• Like 1

I was curious to read this post because I was just in Princess Cays last week, and I'll be heading to HMC in a few weeks time!

I was blown away by the beauty of Princess Cays! I absolutely loved it! We walked to the very end, past all the crowds, into the area where the private cabanas were. And while we didn't actually rent a cabana, there were still a few loungers hidden in the trees right above the shoreline for public use. We snagged these and felt like we had our own private island. It was magical.

enhance

enhance

I am just finishing my review on the Liberty, but I'm already covered Princess Cays. You can read it here if you're interested!

• Like 1

We just got back from Southern Itinerary on Koningsdam (our first time to Caribbean) and we are 1/1 on HMC.  It was beautiful! Nice calm day, wife did the horse back excursion which she loved.  Afterwards we setup on the beach and did some snorkelling over towards the rocks.  Lots of fish to see and a great place to explore for those who might be new to snorkelling since you can stand up over most of that area.

B13574C3-A242-4434-8B10-23BC7BCB901A.jpeg

• Like 1