Cruise Critic Community
pehlibaar

Teppanyaki and Wasabi on Epic

A few questions about Teppanyaki:

1. We aren't able to make reservations through the NCL website, do we just have to do when we board?

2. Is the price the same for adults and children?

3. Do they serve miso soup? (my daughter is obsessed)

4. Do the hibachi cooks entertain pretty well? We've been to hibachi places where they were great, and places where they really didn't do anything. I'd like some entertainment if I'm paying extra. I'd really like a good show for my kids since it will be something new for them. 🙂

5. Are there vegetarian options?

6. Any other info/advice?

As for Wasabi:

1. How was the sushi? Were there a lot of options? Anyone have the menu?

2. What were prices like?

Edited by pehlibaar

1.  You can book on line 120 days prior to your cruise if in a non-suite, 130 prior if in a suite.  If there are no reservations available, make them as soon as you board the ship.

2.  Yes

3.  It is some kind of soup, but I don't know what kind.

4.  Yes it is fun.  There are no open flames, so no onion volcano.

5.  Yes

Edited by NLH Arizona

Have not been on the Epic but the other ships try hard to entertain you. The entertainment is not for me but the food has always excellent and that is what brings us back. 

Entertainment is lame compared to land based Teppanyaki (a lot of banging spatulas and salt and pepper shakers). Food is excellent.

I'm within 109 days and still couldn't make reservations online. I called this number 1-866-234-7350 and made reservations over the phone. I didn't want to wait til I was onboard incase i could get times I wanted.

On 2/27/2019 at 8:14 PM, NLH Arizona said:

1.  You can book on line 120 days prior to your cruise if in a non-suite, 130 prior if in a suite.  If there are no reservations available, make them as soon as you board the ship.

2.  Yes

3.  It is some kind of soup, but I don't know what kind.

4.  Yes it is fun.  There are no open flames, so no onion volcano.

5.  Yes

When did they stop making the onion volcano? The Teppanyaki chefs have always done the onion volcano every time we dined there. Last time was less than a year ago.

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

When did they stop making the onion volcano? The Teppanyaki chefs have always done the onion volcano every time we dined there. Last time was less than a year ago.

They haven't had open flames for a long time, at least on the cruises I've been on.

On 2/27/2019 at 8:14 PM, LouTheGlue said:

Entertainment is lame compared to land based Teppanyaki (a lot of banging spatulas and salt and pepper shakers). Food is excellent.

Ditto!

On 2/27/2019 at 8:08 PM, pehlibaar said:

A few questions about Teppanyaki:

1. We aren't able to make reservations through the NCL website, do we just have to do when we board?

2. Is the price the same for adults and children?

3. Do they serve miso soup? (my daughter is obsessed)

4. Do the hibachi cooks entertain pretty well? We've been to hibachi places where they were great, and places where they really didn't do anything. I'd like some entertainment if I'm paying extra. I'd really like a good show for my kids since it will be something new for them. 🙂

5. Are there vegetarian options?

6. Any other info/advice?

As for Wasabi:

1. How was the sushi? Were there a lot of options? Anyone have the menu?

2. What were prices like?

We did Teppanyaki on the Epic in early Feb.

You should be fine making reservations on board when you get there. We moved around our reservations at Headliners where they had two staff doing both entertainment and dining reservations.

I believe you can order off the kid's menu for free, otherwise the full experience it's the same as adults. They do serve miso soup.

I thought they were entertaining, but I do miss the fire tricks you see elsewhere, they will know how to entertain kids for sure.

Yes there are vegetarian options. My advice is to try one the filet. It was better with the garlic butter they use than other restaurants we went to. Also don't be shy about asking for more rice.

2 hours ago, Paelos said:

We did Teppanyaki on the Epic in early Feb.

You should be fine making reservations on board when you get there. We moved around our reservations at Headliners where they had two staff doing both entertainment and dining reservations.

I believe you can order off the kid's menu for free, otherwise the full experience it's the same as adults. They do serve miso soup.

I thought they were entertaining, but I do miss the fire tricks you see elsewhere, they will know how to entertain kids for sure.

Yes there are vegetarian options. My advice is to try one the filet. It was better with the garlic butter they use than other restaurants we went to. Also don't be shy about asking for more rice.

Thank you! Great info! Did you try Wasabi at all?

Try to be on time for your reservation ... if you get there early and need to wait for the table to fill out, then you will watch someone else’s chef.  They do the same shtick.

We didn't try wasabi because we had the 3 dinner package and chose a couple different styles. However the drinks were the same at both restaurants. Sake cocktails.