Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
dundeene

What food does HAL do well?

Recommended Posts

The spring rolls were pretty good in Tamarind......and that was just for starters.   You can begin to see why some say eat at Tamarind 2 or 3 times to try everything....

tamarand5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, the Wasabi and Soy crusted beef tenderloin in the Tamarind is excellent also :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

The liver and onions choice is an old world delight. They do it very well - I assumed it came from more of a Dutch dining tradition as wall as a depression era or even WWII rationing choice - the meat went to the soldiers overseas and we got what was leftover. 

 

Liver still shows up a lot on ever top rated European restaurants today - a staple on Swiss rustic menu choices, and elevated to high art as Fegato alla Veneziana in Italy.

Back in the 1970's and through the mid-1980's, my employer at the time had a cafeteria that was actually quite decent. You could always tell when there was calf's liver on the menu, as there were lineups snaking out the doors! It was one dish that always sold out!

 

It's always a pleasure eating it when prepared properly, and I'm happy to see that HAL continues to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Well, they do calves liver, which is something very hard to find in the grocery store these days.  If you're into liver, it is quite good.

 

I just googled this. Few grocery stores sell it due to lack of demand. 

You can order one pound calves liver from Walmart for $3.68.  Amazon and other retailers will ship at various prices. On the higher end I saw 20 ounces for $15-$17. 

Hopefully the OP can get more for the money than liver and onions. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liver and Onions/Bacon:  Depression Era food or not; I enjoy it.  HAL does prepare it well.  And my cardiologist does not need to be informed when I consume such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

The liver and onions choice is an old world delight. They do it very well - I assumed it came from more of a Dutch dining tradition as wall as a depression era or even WWII rationing choice - the meat went to the soldiers overseas and we got what was leftover. 

 

Liver still shows up a lot on ever top rated European restaurants today - a staple on Swiss rustic menu choices, and elevated to high art as Fegato alla Veneziana in Italy.

Back in the 1970's and through the mid-1980's, my employer at the time had a cafeteria that was actually quite decent. You could always tell when there was calf's liver on the menu, as there were lineups snaking out the doors! It was one dish that always sold out!

 

It's always a pleasure eating it when prepared properly, and I'm happy to see that HAL continues to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here we go from the "Go Dutch" website:  

Liver and onions

Kalfslever met appel en ui

400 grams veal or pork liver in 4 thin slices
150 grams butter or margarine
2 onions
flour
salt
2 large tart apples

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Here we go from the "Go Dutch" website:  

Liver and onions

Kalfslever met appel en ui

............................

 

 

Unfortunately never developed a taste for it when growing up there.......same with "spruitjes" (Brussels Sprouts) :classic_ohmy: 

 

Now, a "boterham met leverkaas" (liver cheese sandwich) or better yet, a "broodje halfom" (half-baked sandwich) is a whole different story :classic_smile:

 

Broodje halfom

Edited by Copper10-8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here was one of a desserts Tamarind offered.......

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9783.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

 

Unfortunately never developed a taste for it when growing up there.......same with "spruitjes" (Brussels Sprouts) :classic_ohmy: 

 

Now, a "boterham met leverkaas" (liver cheese sandwich) or better yet, a "broodje halfom" (half-baked sandwich) is a whole different story :classic_smile:

 

Broodje halfom

 

Since you live in So Cal,  you must have noticed every trending restaurant now serves some pretty fantastic roasted brussels sprouts appetizers. Just had a new version up in the Santa Ynez Valley, crisped with citrus,  mushrooms.... and bacon fat - delicious. Blessed little things, glad they have come into their own. 

 

Hint- Hint - HAL?

Bear and Star Crispy Brussels sprouts | 12

Sweet soy, orange, seaweed and shitake mushrooms from the farm

Edited by OlsSalt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, sammiedawg said:

 

I just googled this. Few grocery stores sell it due to lack of demand. 

You can order one pound calves liver from Walmart for $3.68.  Amazon and other retailers will ship at various prices. On the higher end I saw 20 ounces for $15-$17. 

Hopefully the OP can get more for the money than liver and onions. 

 

 

Meh...maybe.  I never really do a cost/benefit analysis of my din-din.  When I feel like chicken, I just order chicken.

 

 

Quote

 

 

Edited by AncientWanderer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, DFWGUYZ said:

MDR soups

 

My experience once again:  if the MDR soups are good, the food coming from the galley will be good.  On NS, most soups offered on the MDR menu seemed "strange sounding" in their descriptions and what I ate were nothing more than acceptable.  "Acceptable" is my judgement of the MDR dinners on NS that I experienced.  The soups reflected what the Galley (i.e. Executive Chef) chose to serve at dinner.  Breakfast and the embarkation lunch was a different story.  Every breakfast and the embarkation lunch was excellent! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

 

Since you live in So Cal,  you must have noticed every trending restaurant now serves some pretty fantastic roasted brussels sprouts appetizers. Just had a new version up in the Santa Ynez Valley, crisped with citrus,  mushrooms.... and bacon fat - delicious. Blessed little things, glad they have come into their own. 

 

Hint- Hint - HAL?

Bear and Star Crispy Brussels sprouts | 12

Sweet soy, orange, seaweed and shitake mushrooms from the farm

 

Funny you say that! Just this afternoon had lunch in Cerritos and you're correct, they served Brussels Sprouts as a "premium side" - I passed :classic_wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

 

Since you live in So Cal,  you must have noticed every trending restaurant now serves some pretty fantastic roasted brussels sprouts appetizers. Just had a new version up in the Santa Ynez Valley, crisped with citrus,  mushrooms.... and bacon fat - delicious. Blessed little things, glad they have come into their own. 

 

Hint- Hint - HAL?

Bear and Star Crispy Brussels sprouts | 12

Sweet soy, orange, seaweed and shitake mushrooms from the farm

 

Brunel sprouts were in the PG on our last cruise 🙂. I always get them as a side.

 

And maybe once or twice in the MDR.  Prinsendam.

 

I like them too 😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2019 at 9:16 AM, OlsSalt said:

 

Not at all - just a reminder that one nutritionally does not "need" much meat to have a balanced diet if one choose to eat a meat inclusive dietary plan, but no lecture at all about being able to enjoy as much as you want.

 

Eat as much as you want.  Enjoy. Who would ever stop a just 4 ounces at Ruth's Chris Steakhouses?  Yum. (PS- there is one right across from the dock in San Deigo)

Be careful Roz, or you'll be reported for telling it like it is and your post will be removed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2019 at 3:50 PM, OlsSalt said:

 

There were some false starts in the beginning, but they have vastly improved since their introduction a few years ago as they learned what holds up well as a pre-made sandwich and what did not.  Their best feature is no lines and this is where they also keep the little bags of potato chips. 

 

My second, and last, soggy, over-sauced, pre-made sandwich was in December.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

 

My second, and last, soggy, over-sauced, pre-made sandwich was in December.

 

Your "soggy over-sauced" sandwich was probably my own favorite, goopy and slathered in delicious mayonaise.  Same sandwich?  Plus there are always some very spare one that only use a thin smear of butter - with cheese or a thin meat slice. No sauce,  no soggy.  Or ones with a thin italian dressing coating or the Vietnamese banh minh.  There are about six choices a day with a revolving menu. 

 

Agree, one has to watch for the ones with tomatoes - the longer they sit  (very strict limits on how long food is allowed to be kept out before being replaced)  they do leak into the bread, but when you get them when they first come out we find them delicious too.  

 

And they have learned  to layer things better so there is less of  that early soggy leaking from the tomatoes we also found when they were first offering these Grab and Go options.  Sorry you picked ones that you found objectionable. for your own expectations.  Plenty of other buffet items and even custom made sandwiches so no real loss if Grab and Go was a goner for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The votes have been tallied.     The precious grab and go hoagies have been voted off the menu.  

 

Please extinguish your torch and head back to camp.

 

The Tribe has spoken.

Edited by JRG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Nieuw Amsterdam a week ago: desserts are better than most ships; Not all full of gelatin.  Made to order Eggs Benedict in Lido-sometimes not cooked enough, but not left with sauce to dry out under heat lamps.  Burgers and fries at Dive-

made to order better than their set burgers.

I like the small cheese plates at Liido appetizer area for lunch and dinner.  Just a few slices and they have Melba toast!

Made to order tossed salads.  Very good salad dressings

In general, the ethnic Asian foods at Distant Lands station on Lido were excellent.  Thai, Vietnamese, Indian were all good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, LynnTTT said:

From the Nieuw Amsterdam a week ago: desserts are better than most ships; Not all full of gelatin.  Made to order Eggs Benedict in Lido-sometimes not cooked enough, but not left with sauce to dry out under heat lamps.  Burgers and fries at Dive-

made to order better than their set burgers.

I like the small cheese plates at Liido appetizer area for lunch and dinner.  Just a few slices and they have Melba toast!

Made to order tossed salads.  Very good salad dressings

In general, the ethnic Asian foods at Distant Lands station on Lido were excellent.  Thai, Vietnamese, Indian were all good

I've not had desserts full of gelatin on any cruise line.  Not sure what you're referring to.

 

I'm also a fan of the small plates in the Lido.  I'll get 2-3 and a roll, and I'm all set for lunch.

 

Roz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

Plenty of other buffet items and even custom made sandwiches so no real loss if Grab and Go was a goner for you. 

 

So true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Roz said:

I've not had desserts full of gelatin on any cruise line.  Not sure what you're referring to.

 

I'm also a fan of the small plates in the Lido.  I'll get 2-3 and a roll, and I'm all set for lunch.

 

Roz

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...