Jump to content

Book by February 28th - is this really a savings?


Coral
 Share

Recommended Posts

My last 2 cruises were booked at the last minute so I don't have experience with booking Crystal far out.

 

I keep getting emails saying "book by February 28th to save money". Is there really an early booking savings? I did get some brochures recently and the cover letter was "book by November 18th for savings" and it was past the November 18th date when I received them.

 

I am not familiar with how Crystal's pricing works. For example, if the price goes down, are you allowed to re-fare at the new price with out a penalty?

 

Any insight would be great. I was hoping to have something picked out by today but alas, I don't. I would like to know for future reference.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Coral said:

My last 2 cruises were booked at the last minute so I don't have experience with booking Crystal far out.

 

I keep getting emails saying "book by February 28th to save money". Is there really an early booking savings? I did get some brochures recently and the cover letter was "book by November 18th for savings" and it was past the November 18th date when I received them.

 

I am not familiar with how Crystal's pricing works. For example, if the price goes down, are you allowed to re-fare at the new price with out a penalty?

 

Any insight would be great. I was hoping to have something picked out by today but alas, I don't. I would like to know for future reference.

 

 

Crystal Cruises is one of the few cruise lines that will protect it's guests booking if there is a price reduction. We have a Symphony voyage booked in early 2020 that we reserved in early 2018. There was a significant price reduction a few weeks ago on that cruise, and even though we had already paid in full, Crystal processed a hefty refund to adjust the cost to the new, lower reduced fare. Once we see a cruise that interests us, we will book it knowing that we can reserve the cabin of our choice, the fare will never be greater than when we booked (if fares do increase), and we will be protected if the fares are lowered prior to sailing.

 

Rob

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree the Crystal price reduction policy is great but these “Book by....” deadlines are by and large just marketing hype 

 

There will be a new date announced very soon and some new price offers 

 

But as one great site (thanks Drib) which tracks fares over times shows most of the cruises remain the same price with only the occasional rise and fall based on demand and the need to fill cabins so as with all purchases it’s a case of knowing the market and making an educated guess when to jump in

 

Of course the new cancellation and deposit rules for 2020 onwards mean a hefty financial deposit (and a potential non refundable element) is required to cement that commitment 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, CruisePfan said:

Rob, does Crystal automatically process the refund for a price reduction or do you need to be tracking your fare and ask for it?

 

Not Rob, but you have to track it and ask for it through your travel agent. They probably hope you don't, but give it to you if you do!

 

Patty

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This one will 

Just now, CruisePfan said:

So for you really savvy travelers, are you constantly tracking the prices, or do you just ask your travel agent to check the current price for your room a couple of weeks before the trip.

We have a terrific TA so we know she will check the prices for us.  If we didn't we would check them ourselves.

 

I take the same approach with hotels. I book as early as I can.  I only book refundable rates.  I then check the prices from time to time and if they go down I followup to get the lower price.  

 

In our case we book early whether that is the cruise or the hotel.  This is so we can lock in a price but more importantly to us so we can get our choice of room category.

 

Once in awhile there are exceptions such as when we booked Crystal Symphony on a May cruise last year but as a rule of thumb we book early.

 

Keith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keith is absolutely right. A good TA will automatically monitor the fares for you. As for these "book by" sales I think of them as busses. Miss one and another one will come along fifteen minutes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/1/2019 at 11:40 AM, wripro said:

Keith is absolutely right. A good TA will automatically monitor the fares for you. As for these "book by" sales I think of them as busses. Miss one and another one will come along fifteen minutes.

Thanks. I didn't know if all the prices went up March first or what. 

 

My TA doesn't watch for prices but will adjust them accordingly if I let her know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Coral said:

Thanks. I didn't know if all the prices went up March first or what. 

 

My TA doesn't watch for prices but will adjust them accordingly if I let her know.

Then you should get a new TA who does monitor for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...