Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
ajm

Snorkeling: Money Bar vs Chankanaab

I've been reading some reviews of the Money Bar which mentions good snorkeling from the beach.  However, when I look up some videos of the snorkeling I don't see many fish and almost no coral.  We have been to Chankanaab and have snorkeled there and know what to expect.

I would greatly appreciate a comparison of the two from anyone who may have been to both.  Thanks in advance!

Edit: to clarify, I'm interested in just the snorkeling and not a comparison of the other amenities.

Edited by ajm
Clarification

Cozumel does not have great snorkeling as the coral reefs are as much as a mile from shore.  The only close reefs are off of Chankanaab and Money Bar areas, but you would want a boat to get to them, too far out still to shore snorkel due to current and boat activity.  

If you really want to see fish and coral reefs, you need to take a boat excursion.  Cozumel has incredible reefs, but they are mostly too deep for snorkeling.  

I have read that SkyReef has good snorkeling area, still shore snorkeling so not lush reefs.  

The best snorkeling in the Caribbean is going to be Roatan and the outer islands of Belize...both have reefs right up to shore, shallow reefs, where you can float on surface and see coral and fish.  Cozumel, not so much.

10 minutes ago, ABQrobin said:

Cozumel does not have great snorkeling as the coral reefs are as much as a mile from shore.  The only close reefs are off of Chankanaab and Money Bar areas, but you would want a boat to get to them, too far out still to shore snorkel due to current and boat activity.  

If you really want to see fish and coral reefs, you need to take a boat excursion.  Cozumel has incredible reefs, but they are mostly too deep for snorkeling.  

I have read that SkyReef has good snorkeling area, still shore snorkeling so not lush reefs.  

The best snorkeling in the Caribbean is going to be Roatan and the outer islands of Belize...both have reefs right up to shore, shallow reefs, where you can float on surface and see coral and fish.  Cozumel, not so much.

Thanks... this is pretty much what I expected.  We get leery when people talk about how great the snorkeling is.  Like food, everyone has a different standard it seems.

Quality of snorkeling from the shore at both Chankanaab and Money Bar will be similar.

Posted (edited)

Just posted my review of Mystic snorkel.....we were so pleased and had a great experience because we got professionals to take us where there IS great snorkeling.   Just sayin.

Edited by CRUIS4ME