Plaza 328 - Emerald Princess

Thrak

We are booked in a 14 day TA this fall on Emerald Princess in Plaza 328. I know that all ships are different and that Emerald is not the same as Crowne but....

In the cabin review thread someone has posted a picture of their cabin - P328 - on Crown Princess. ACK! Yuck!! GAH!!! I have never seen this configuration before and had no idea it existed. On both ships P328 is an OV cabin. Is the pic below a common configuration for Plaza deck OV cabins? If so I need to change my booking ASAP. This cabin seems to be terribly narrow with the bed squished against the wall and a night stand on one side only.  According to the review that is indeed the case. How common is this (freaking horrid) cabin layout?

fc0f1ec73152a235d96590ea7fe16e72.jpg

I'm wondering, since the bed is so far off center to the window,if the "other" night stand was on the same side.  Or, maybe, even removed altogether?  Possibly,  the room's occupants wanted the bed next to the wall (maybe giving them more floor space, keeping someone in bed who has a tendency to fall out).

Edited by Shmoo here

39 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

I'm wondering, since the bed is so far off center to the window,if the "other" night stand was on the same side.  Or, maybe, even removed altogether?  Possibly,  the room's occupants wanted the bed next to the wall (maybe giving them more floor space, keeping someone in bed who has a tendency to fall out).

Nope. I actually posted the wrong picture. They had two pictures and the second one shows how weird the room actually is. The review says: Problems: Queen bed configuration is inconvenient. Bed is pushed up against wall. Bed is worn out and needs to be replaced. This second picture tells the full story.

I'm really hoping this isn't how P328 is configured on Emerald Princess. This is the weirdest room I've ever seen. This second pic shows that the cabin really is that freaking weird.

31160e2283ab089bc25ebfdf53ca6376.jpg

Edited by Thrak

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

We are booked in a 14 day TA this fall on Emerald Princess in Plaza 328. I know that all ships are different and that Emerald is not the same as Crowne but....

In the cabin review thread someone has posted a picture of their cabin - P328 - on Crown Princess. ACK! Yuck!! GAH!!! I have never seen this configuration before and had no idea it existed. On both ships P328 is an OV cabin. Is the pic below a common configuration for Plaza deck OV cabins? If so I need to change my booking ASAP. This cabin seems to be terribly narrow with the bed squished against the wall and a night stand on one side only.  According to the review that is indeed the case. How common is this (freaking horrid) cabin layout?

The ocean view cabins on Plaza -- that are far forward ... are narrower than usual.

Two normal nightstands don't fit, so the room is fitted with a single double-wide nightstand.

This is fine when set up for twin beds.

As you can see -- for queen, you either have to push one side of the bed against the wall,

or turn the nightstand 90-degrees.   This allows an aisle on each side of the bed, but

blocks access the nightstand drawer.

This is only the cabins that are far forward.   The 3xx should be normal width.

On other thing to keep in mind -- on plaza, the upper berths are mounted on the wall.

It's very intrusive.

If you don't need upper berths it is much better to select a cabin without them.

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

I am almost certain that I have stayed in P328 on Emerald and certainly do not recall it set-up this way. I will look out some photos and post them later tonight but I am sure I would have remembered if the set-up was that bad!

Hmm that is an odd setup and P328 isn't forward, it's mid forward so shouldn't be extra narrow (?).  I had considered booking that one on the Crown, but with twin beds.  For a couple who want a queen bed that is indeed a weird bed configuration.  You might want to change cabins. 

3 hours ago, pablo222 said:

The ocean view cabins on Plaza -- that are far forward ... are narrower than usual.

Two normal nightstands don't fit, so the room is fitted with a single double-wide nightstand.

This is fine when set up for twin beds.

As you can see -- for queen, you either have to push one side of the bed against the wall,

or turn the nightstand 90-degrees.   This allows an aisle on each side of the bed, but

blocks access the nightstand drawer.

This is only the cabins that are far forward.   The 3xx should be normal width.

On other thing to keep in mind -- on plaza, the upper berths are mounted on the wall.

It's very intrusive.

If you don't need upper berths it is much better to select a cabin without them.

Thanks. Hopefully my cabin will be normal width. Like I said, I was concerned because it seems that P328 on Crown is the narrow cabin. I did make sure to change the number of passengers to 4 when looking at the deck plan so I could eliminate those cabins. My cabin is one of the ones that turns white when doing that so it isn't a cabin that can accommodate 4 people. I really don't want those nasty side wall bunks!  I just checked again and P328 on Crown is in the same spot as my cabin. If I end up with a weird cabin I am not going to be happy. This TA on Emerald in November will be our first as Elite and it shouldn't be one with a cabin that peeves us.

2 hours ago, johnsuttoncoldfield said:

I am almost certain that I have stayed in P328 on Emerald and certainly do not recall it set-up this way. I will look out some photos and post them later tonight but I am sure I would have remembered if the set-up was that bad!

1 hour ago, Coral said:

In regards to cabins - the Crown and Emerald were built identical. They may have had some configuration changes later but I would expect this cabin to be the same.

Sigh... Conflicting information here.

johsuttoncoldfield: PLEASE look for your info and let me know if you actually stayed in this cabin and, if so, if it was weird. Also, if you did stay in this cabin would you have had it configured as a queen or twin beds?

Coral: We really wanted to try a Plaza deck cabin this time and I have never heard anybody mention this weird setup before. The cruise isn't until November 4 so there is time to change cabins if needed but, like I said, we were hoping to try this location and see how it works for us as it's so close to IC, Vines, etc.

Thrak, unfortunately that is what we ended up with when we did our first ocean view P222 on the Ruby.

Needless to say I had the side next to the wall and had to crawl down the bed to exit. Trying to walk between the wall and bed was not pleasant.

I sure hope you do not get that set up. Good luck!

13 minutes ago, Thrak said:

johsuttoncoldfield: PLEASE look for your info and let me know if you actually stayed in this cabin and, if so, if it was weird. Also, if you did stay in this cabin would you have had it configured as a queen or twin beds?

Coral: We really wanted to try a Plaza deck cabin this time and I have never heard anybody mention this weird setup before. The cruise isn't until November 4 so there is time to change cabins if needed but, like I said, we were hoping to try this location and see how it works for us as it's so close to IC, Vines, etc.

Thrak, we have always stayed on Plaza deck on the Crown-class ships and in the vicinity of P328--probably have even stayed in that very cabin!  It is a "normal" cabin and is so convenient to the atrium and its amenities, don't need to use elevator to get to the theater, etc.  It being on a dead-end corridor is a major advantage!

Edited by BarbinMich

9 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

Thrak, we have always stayed on Plaza deck on the Crown-class ships and in the vicinity of P328--probably have even stayed in that very cabin!  It is a "normal" cabin and is so convenient to the atrium and its amenities, don't need to use elevator to get to the theater, etc.  It being on a dead-end corridor is a major advantage!

Thanks. This is very confusing to me as a user posted in the sticky thread for cabin reviews on the main Princess boards and posted the pictures above. The user plainly states the pics are from P328 on Crown. I just now looked to be sure and I see that it is the user''s first and only post. I'm hoping they fat fingered the cabin number or made an error somehow. The post in question is post number 262by Millnut in the thread below.

I wish there was a message function so I could query the user to ask if there was perhaps a mistake in cabin number.

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

I would say the pic is accurate.  I had an ocean view on the same deck, but more forward.  My daughter was with me so the room was set up as twins, both beds were up against a wall and the table was in between.  Both configurations make it difficult to get a true ocean view.

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Hi - these were indeed taken from P328 on Emerald, albeit from 2015. The bedside table was positioned sideways and to one side only, which means there was no access to the draws.

I have since always had a single set-up in Oceanview on Plaza Deck as it if by far superior - as an example I have attached this set-up photo (this was on Plaza Deck but on Sapphire).

Pro's for P328 on Emerald are the location and there are no pull-down bunks -  against is the double set-up. If you can work with a single set-up it is absolutely fine and has the look and feel of a far bigger room.

Now, just one point, these photos were taken a few years ago and so I guess the furniture could have been changed to two small side tables, but I accept this is a risk. I have actually had a side facing bed set-up Oceanview(Sapphire) and this is way superior, but really don't know if they are available on Emerald. The logic of having one large table in some Oceanview rooms and not two small ones escapes me I must admit.  

As far as Plaza Deck, I really like the position of these cabins, especially on a TA, and I actually miss the location when taking balconies.

P9140480.JPG

P9150493.JPG

P9110383.JPG

P9110384.JPG

P9210534.JPG

Well poop. Many thanks for the pictures of the actual cabin. I'll have to talk it over with my wife. We definitely do use those drawers and neither one of us gets along well with single beds. Also we won't get along well with only one person having a bedside table. GAH!!! The location seems so great and we really (really!) looked forward to giving it a shot but I think we will probably end up switching cabins.

Many thanks to all who replied here with comments and info.

Just looked and the cheapest OV available is now almost $600 per person more than when we booked. Actually the cheapest Inside is now more than we paid for the OV when we booked. The OBC promo is the same - $200 per person for Inside/OV and $300 per person for all higher cabins. I'm not real sure my wife will go for an extra $1,200 on this cruise as it's the third cruise for this year. We just got hit with final payment for our 15 day connieusseur cruise tour to Alaska (plus the EZ Air fee) in May. That was a quick $8k. Ouch! We also still have to pay for the 12 day Northern Lights cruise. They aren't giving that one away either. 12 days in an OV for $6k.   Sigh... Major discussions will be held. A squishy cabin sucks but an extra $1.2k on the cruise isn't good either.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

Just looked and the cheapest OV available is now almost $600 per person more than when we booked. Actually the cheapest Inside is now more than we paid for the OV when we booked. The OBC promo is the same - $200 per person for Inside/OV and $300 per person for all higher cabins. I'm not real sure my wife will go for an extra $1,200 on this cruise as it's the third cruise for this year. We just got hit with final payment for our 15 day connieusseur cruise tour to Alaska (plus the EZ Air fee) in May. That was a quick $8k. Ouch! We also still have to pay for the 12 day Northern Lights cruise. They aren't giving that one away either. 12 days in an OV for $6k.   Sigh... Major discussions will be held. A squishy cabin sucks but an extra $1.2k on the cruise isn't good either.

I'd go with separating the beds and learn for next cruise. 

Thrak, I would throw caution to the wind, & ask to speak to a supervisor, & explain that you both have bad backs, & medically cannot get in & out of this bed without medical difficulty. Might not work, but it might...

22 hours ago, Thrak said:

I've put my daughters in an inside on the Emerald and the layout is exactly the same as the ocean view, except no window, of course.

22 hours ago, Thrak said:

Looks like you've got some nice cruises coming up!  Just wanted to add that the door they show at the end of the corridor near this cabin and would ostensibly go out to the atrium was never unlocked in our experience.  Finally, we've always had the twin bed configuration, which would seem to be a bit more convenient than the "double bed against the wall" shown in the posted photos.

22 hours ago, Coral said:

I think this is an issue on many Grand class ships. I knew it was on the Sapphire.

It's not a problem on the Royal/Regal because they eliminated the Deck 5 cabins and put the spa there instead.  I was quite disappointed that the only choices on those ships is a balcony or an inside (have done both). Balcony was on a TA to Europe and generally not usable due to the weather.  And an inside is--well, it's inside.  We had the inside on a Caribbean itinerary--missed being able to see the sunny skies.  Insides are also smaller or so it seems (bed opposite the door with desk/TV along the outside wall facing the bed).

33 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

It's not a problem on the Royal/Regal because they eliminated the Deck 5 cabins and put the spa there instead. 

Yea - the Grand class ships are carbon copies of each other in many regards. There maybe some differences but things like this are the same on most of the ships.

Royal and Regal are a different class and have different unique cabins.