Fixed Lens, Full Frame?

Maybe I'm delusional, but I would love to see a full-frame fixed lens camera.  I currently own several cameras, including a Sony DSC RX10ii with a Zeiss f2.8 24-200 lens and a 1-inch sensor.  I love the camera and the lens (I don't need the 600 mm zoom lens on the RX10 Mark 3 and 4 cameras).  I know there are a few fixed lens cameras with APS-C sensors, but I already own a Sony Alpha-65 with an APS-C sensor and a couple of zoom lenses, so I don't need that.  Is there any possibility of Sony, Fuji, or any other manufacturer introducing a full-frame camera with a high quality fixed lens, or is the idea of a full-frame camera with a fixed lens simply a pipe dream?  I realize that the combination sounds incompatible, since both features appeal to different types of photographers, but still . . . Any thoughts?

Sony RX-1 and RX-1r use the same full-time 24mp and 42mp sensors as the A7 an A7r series. They both have a fixed 35mm f/2 Zeiss Sonnar T lens designed and optimized specifically for the cameras. 

It's about the same size as the A6x00 bodies.

Dave

The Sony RX1 series - which I think last left off with an RX1RII, and rumors point to another still possibly to come, has been long-running as a full-frame fixed lens option, not cheap.

And even more in the not-cheap arena, you've got the Leica Q, with a 24MP full-frame sensor and 28mm F1.8 lens.

Those, plus the Zeiss ZX1, I think are about it in the full-frame fixed lens world.

I appreciate the responses.  I guess I was thinking more along the lines of a full-frame camera with a fixed zoom lens, like the Zeiss 24-200 lens on the Sony RX10ii.  It looks like most of the full-frame fixed lens cameras have prime lenses.  Would a fixed zoom lens be compatible with a full-frame camera?

8 hours ago, billandsue said:

I appreciate the responses.  I guess I was thinking more along the lines of a full-frame camera with a fixed zoom lens, like the Zeiss 24-200 lens on the Sony RX10ii.  It looks like most of the full-frame fixed lens cameras have prime lenses.  Would a fixed zoom lens be compatible with a full-frame camera?

Not much point. It would be the same size as a Sony a7 with lens. What would the advantage be over a mirrorless ILC?

Sony hasn’t updated the RX1 in a while for the same reason... it’s basically an a7rii with a prime lens glued on permanently.  

9 hours ago, billandsue said:

They chose 35mm as the most common "street" photographer's choice. It is also about as wide as one would use for informal portraits while still wide enough to shoot a group from the same room. It is a niche "jacket pocket" camera that actually does take pretty spectacular images. It is smaller than an A7/7 series body with a compact 35mm on it, but 35mm is all you get.

Personally, though I now shoot mainly with an A7III, I don't take it when I'm on one of my 3-4 times a year trips to Chicago for work. Instead, I take the A6300 with a 25mm f/1.7 manual lens (37.5mm equivalent) in my computer bag. Oddly, it still takes the same excellent photos it did before I upgraded to full-frame. 🙂

Travel buddy:

p3088320929-4.jpg

I sort of miss autofocus sometimes and may pick up one of the 24mm Samyang AF lenses. It is supposed to be a good performer and is quite small.

Another option would be the wrongly-maligned 16-50 APS-C power zoom. I have taken a lot of excellent travel photos with one and nobody has ever asked me to go back and take them with a bigger lens. I may actually pick up another one since mine is now attached to my A6000 on semi-permanent loan to my 16-year-old granddaughter.

For compact, casual to semi-serious photography, the A6x00 series is very hard to beat.

Dave