Cruise Critic Community
etoile

Storylines, MV Narrative - cruise condos

Is anyone familiar with Storylines? It seems like The World of ResidenSea, but priced more for mid-range folks. The ship is apparently the MV Narrative which looks like it is being refurbished from another vessel, rather than a new build. I can't find much discussion about it but would love to hear what people think just based on the website. Perhaps someone knows someone who has bought in?

https://www.storylines.com/

Yes, My wife and I bought a Cabin on the Narrative due to start sailing around the World in June 2020. What a totally unboring way to Retire !

1 hour ago, 20yearcruiser said:

Yes, My wife and I bought a Cabin on the Narrative due to start sailing around the World in June 2020. What a totally unboring way to Retire !

Wow, 10 years on Cruise Critic and this is your first post, Storylines must be important to you! What can you share with us about why you bought the condo? Have you seen anything of it being renovated, pictures or video?

We are going to cruise 2 nights on it and hear what the architects have to do in relation to tear it down to the studs to make it for long term cruisers. I'll report back next week what we are allowed to share in relation to our NDA.

The picture on Storylines' website is of the Grand Classica, which was transferred from Costa [as neoClassica] to Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line only last year.  Is this the ship that Storylines is buying?  I can't find any reference to its sale by BPCL.

Narrative, Storylines cruise condo

We are back from our 2 night cruise aboard the Grand Classica to be renamed

Narrative. We met with other members of the Founder's Circle, the initial group of 100 cabins to be sold. We were not expecting too much since the ship has not gone in for modification yet and were pleasantly surprised. We met with the company owners and possibly one of the Captains who we would like to keep on. There were plenty of opportunities to ask questions about so many topics of interest to us as live a boards  investing in this great startup.

What was amazing was the chance to meet other adventurous minded  travelers from all walks of life in  whose company we will enjoy new friendships and adventures! There is still room to get added benefits from being a Founder's Circle owner, but after the hard reset and national advertising in the coming weeks I suspect these spots will sell out quickly.

If any cruise critic folks are seriously considering this lifestyle and have a question you can email me at jonleconey@verizon.com Happy cruising!

Did you find out which ship they are buying?

When I first looked at their website (in response to the initial post in this thread) the image clearly showed the profile (and lettering) of Grand Classica, the old Costa ship first called Classica, then neoClassica, then sold to Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line [only last year] and now sailing for them as Grand Classica.

Now the Storylines' website has a photoshopped picture with the 'storylines' name.  Meanwhile BPCL contains to market Grand Classica as if they have no intention of selling.

But Costa has another ship, originally called Romantica and now neoRomantica – a sister ship to Grand/neo/Classica – that has now become the oldest ship in their fleet.  I wonder if that is the one that Storylines is buying [... if they have actually bought anything at all.  There has been no news in the cruising media about such a sale.]

I remain a bit puzzled by the links at the bottom of their page. "As featured in" New York Post, Business Insider, etc. They are just logos, no links to stories. I cannot imagine buying a condo with only information from the company and not outside input.

Posted (edited)

Am I the only one who finds it troubling that the opening quote on the website is from Ayn Rand??? But then the site contradicts her philosophy by supporting giving back? Inherent contradictions and tone-deaf marketing. 

Edited by Traveler63

2 hours ago, Traveler63 said:

Am I the only one who finds it troubling that the opening quote on the website is from Ayn Rand??? But then the site contradicts her philosophy by supporting giving back? Inherent contradictions and tone-deaf marketing. 

I noticed that too.  I'm also troubled that when I first went to their website they showed a ship that was clearly labeled Grand Classica – a ship was was sold by Costa to Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line [only last year] and which they seem to be keeping in their fleet – and then shortly thereafter the same picture had the name photoshopped out and replaced by MV Narrative [but there is still no evidence they are actually buying that ship or a ship that looks just like that].  At best sloppy; at worst deceptive.  Doesn't give me much faith in anything else on the website.

41 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I noticed that too.  I'm also troubled that when I first went to their website they showed a ship that was clearly labeled Grand Classica – a ship was was sold by Costa to Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line [only last year] and which they seem to be keeping in their fleet – and then shortly thereafter the same picture had the name photoshopped out and replaced by MV Narrative [but there is still no evidence they are actually buying that ship or a ship that looks just like that].  At best sloppy; at worst deceptive.  Doesn't give me much faith in anything else on the website.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It just feels like the whole thing is kind of shady. But maybe The World of Residensea was the same early on? The poster above says they have already taken the initial welcome trip on Grand Classica and met with other buyers and the staff. But I am just so baffled by the complete lack of information. Is it even real?

Hello, I understand your confusion over not seeing a new purchase for the ship, as the new owner is in a joint venture with Storylines. They will shortly pick a shipping yard to do the refit in Europe and will leave it in service till then. I think they are in faze 3 of their sales and they are doing well with that. If you really think it might be a way of life of interest,  call the storylines # 1-866-255-4240 and they can answer all your questions. The sales team is fairly low key and the executives are very transparent.

There are not only retired people taking part ,but a number that plan to work from the ship and  a few with children who are going to see the world as part of their education.

The World by ResidenSea was a new build, very state-of-the-art at the time.  Very impressive marketing.  You were basically buying in for a max of 50 years, the expected lifespan of the ship.  How old is the ship that Storylines is using?

Posted (edited)

Comparing the 2 ships is difficult when you consider the starting price of a world cabin was 10 times the Narrative. Also that ship was built to target those that wanted another status symbol. It's a ghost town except holidays. Our ship will be a complete renovation designed for those who want to stay on board and have an adventure.

Edited by 20yearcruiser
to change font color.

I also purchased a condo on the Storylines Resident Ship, "MV Narrative", and I also have the benefits of the Founders Circle, as I was one of the first 100 owners. To answer HostJazzbeau's question, the ship that will be refurbished in January from a presently existing cruise ship to 620 resident condos is the 722' Grand Classica owned by Bahama Paradise Cruise Line. They are adding 3 or 4 more decks (see photo). To answer GourmetGal's question of age, it was built in 1991 and owned by Carnival to 2018. Storylines says it has a life expectancy of 21 more years, minimum. ln January I flew to West Palm Beach, FL from California to take a 2-night cruise on my own without Storylines before depositing my $5000 refundable deposit just to make sure. Although I knew the interior is going to be completely changed, I wanted to see the size and the basic bones, and I loved it, so  I put down my deposit. I was then offered a preview 2-night cruise in March in which Storylines would be there to give us extensive walking tours explaining the changes, show us the architect plans and renderings, a meet the captain tour of the Bridge, show us the very unique furniture, fabric and carpet selections, and question and answer sessions, along with an opportunity for a one-on-one meeting with a Storylines rep, if desired. One of the best parts was meeting, mingling, and dining with about 40 of my future neighbors and community. They had another preview of the ship in May with even more people, from what I understand, and they are having another  July 6/7. If anyone is interested in purchasing, I highly recommend the preview. By the way, the Storylines office is in the Bahama Paradise Cruise Line building in West Palm Beach. They keep in touch with us via monthly webinars.

I also want to mention the comments/posts about Storylines possibly being "deceptive", "shady", "not real". My condo is now paid in full, so you can be sure I did my homework. I had personal communication with not only the Founders/CEO of Storylines, but with Oneill, the CEO of Bahama Paradise Cruise Line, employees of BPC, and 2 of the ship's captains (one on the ship in Jan, a different one on the ship in March). If this is a scam, there are certainly a lot of important people in the cruise industry involved! This is a start-up company, and its leaders are unbelievably busy with just 1 year left before the maiden voyage. The website may not be to your liking because of a quote you dont like, or no link to the "As Seen In" articles, but I took the time to research most of the articles, and they are good articles that are legit. I took screen shots of the major articles and will try to attach them to a second posting. From what I hear, about 20% of the condos sold so far are people in their 30's that work from home. I am a Baby Boomer generation, and sure looking forward to the tech help from some of those young people who will be my neighbors!

Screenshot_20190615-234348_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190616-001351_Chrome.jpg

Re Storylines Articles. The articles were too long to attach, but here is the first paragraph of some of them showing the date and author so you can research them.

By the way, the prices listed are no longer accurate. They have gone up as the ship begins to fill up. 

1. New York Post article

2. Cruise Industry News

3. Cruise Fever

4. Traveller

I think the confusion/suspicion is more from the Bahama Paradise Cruise Line side – they continue to list sailings on Grand Classica through Dec. 31, 2020 [which is the latest they show for any ship]:

1415068867_ScreenShot2019-06-16at2_51_54PM.thumb.png.ce2ce99a69aa4879110221d3516ceeef.png

and folks on the Bahama Paradise Cruise Line forum say the company is assuring them that nothing is changing:

On 5/28/2019 at 4:31 PM, twodaywonder said:

The information I received today is very clear. No new ship and no new itineraries such as Freeport Port Lucia / Nassauall of next year. Maybe in the future. As for additional ports in Freeport Port Lucia they are also excited to hear that, including the purchase of the Hotel and a new port to be built. No negatives at all. After the Panama canal cruise the Grand Classica is on a private booking. No going for any referb. So all is well with Bahamas Paradise CruiseLine.

On 3/13/2019 at 10:30 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

The picture on Storylines' website is of the Grand Classica, which was transferred from Costa [as neoClassica] to Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line only last year.  Is this the ship that Storylines is buying?  I can't find any reference to its sale by BPCL.

According to my inside information. It is not up for sale. I will double check on this Monday the 17th. Not long ago, they just purchased this ship during its extensive refurbishing by Costa. 

17 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I think the confusion/suspicion is more from the Bahama Paradise Cruise Line side – they continue to list sailings on Grand Classica through Dec. 31, 2020 [which is the latest they show for any ship]:

1415068867_ScreenShot2019-06-16at2_51_54PM.thumb.png.ce2ce99a69aa4879110221d3516ceeef.png

and folks on the Bahama Paradise Cruise Line forum say the company is assuring them that nothing is changing:

A private cruise has been booked on the Grand Classica after the Panama Canal cruise. returning to continue the 2 day cruises starting October 16, 2019

Wow, you Cruise Critic guys are amazing sleuths! Such a lot of information!  I have been on about 30 or more cruises, but can't believe I didn't know about CC until a few years ago. I just joined yesterday so I could respond when I happened to be scrolling and saw a post on Storylines. I have no idea how I saw that post, but I am so happy to be part of such great communication. 

It should be interesting to see what happens in January 2020. I wonder why the Bahama Paradise reservationist told me that the ship was going to be refurbished on Aug 17 to mid-Oct instead of saying a private cruise has been booked. "Twodaywonder" mentioned a hotel in Freeport/Port Lucia and building a new port. How is Bahama Paradise involved with that?

Thanks for all of your information.

Just got off of the phone. They know nothing at all about selling of the Grand Classica at all. Reply was, ridiculous. Even asked me. Who is Storyline anyhow. He will check into it and if anything comes up at all will get back to me. 

I just googled Storyline cruise ship. Nothing at all like the Grand Classica. Not even close. 

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

Just got off of the phone. They know nothing at all about selling of the Grand Classica at all. Reply was, ridiculous. Even asked me. Who is Storyline anyhow. He will check into it and if anything comes up at all will get back to me. 

I just googled Storyline cruise ship. Nothing at all like the Grand Classica. Not even close. 

This is in complete contradiction to NewLifestyle's post above.  I would think she would know which ship she was on for the Storylines preview 2-night cruise in March – the name Grand Classica on the bow is hard to miss!

But there is a narrative that could square both these story lines [couldn't resist the pun.  Sorry, not sorry!]

Costa has two other ships that they tried the 'neo' treatment on.  neoRiviera (built 1999) is going to AIDA in December.  No word yet on neoRomantica (built 1993 and now the oldest ship in the Costa fleet).  I wonder if either neoRomantica is going to Storylines, or if neoRomantica is going to Bahama Paradise when Grand Classica (ex neoClassica, built 1991) goes to Storylines.

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

The location of the lifeboats is pretty distinctive on the Classica, and is duplicated on MV Narrative.  Actually everything from the lifeboats down looks very similar, and NewLifestyle said that they are planning to add 3 or 4 decks on top.  Frankly I think the MV Narrative picture looks exactly like a refurbished Classica would.

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 12.55.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 12.56.32 PM.png

Just the life boats? bet I can find a lot of ships with the life boats in the exact location. Nothing else even comes close. OK the anchor hole. All I can tell you is that,  Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line says the ship is not sold and is not for sale.