Cruise Critic Community

We will be in Amsterdam for a couple of nights pre-cruise in late June and another night post cruise in late July...

We took in a lot of the city on our last visit and was thinking we could spend our one full day pre-cruise (June 25) doing something in the countryside--Zaanse Shanz, Marken, Volendam, Edam seem worthy...

I noticed a few tour companies offering tours to this area--for example, Lindbergh Tours-which has an 8 hour tour for € 119 pp...with a group size of 26 or less...I've seen some good reviews on them (and a couple of terrible ones as well).  Also notye a few other companies running tours of different lengths and prices.

I would appreciate ANY comments, recommendations or experiences...Thanks...

Posted (edited)

We did a Zaanse Schans and Volendam tour with Lindbergh Travel last Fall.  We enjoyed the tour very much.  It was interesting to learn about the windmills at Zaanse Schans and see their inner workings.  We visited a cheese factory (mostly a shopping opportunity, but plenty of free samples!), a museum, and toured Volendam.  We didn't go to Edam, so I can't comment about that.   We booked it through Viator because of their 24 hour cancellation policy.  Hope this helps!

Edited by Cruisen Elf

Just to update this...we got a guide recommendation from someone on our Roll Call...and were able to quickly find six others to join us...and booked a private tour for 8 of us...which ends up being even less money than the big bus tour.  So, we are set!

On 3/4/2019 at 10:45 AM, Bruin Steve said:

Just to update this...we got a guide recommendation from someone on our Roll Call...and were able to quickly find six others to join us...and booked a private tour for 8 of us...which ends up being even less money than the big bus tour.  So, we are set!

Will you please share your information about the tour.  We will be disembarking the Prinsendam on May 20, 2019 and are going to spend one night in a hotel.  I really want to take a tour of the windmills this time as we missed our port of Amsterdam due to storms last September.

Thank you for the information.

23 hours ago, cfgrandma said:

Will you please share your information about the tour.  We will be disembarking the Prinsendam on May 20, 2019 and are going to spend one night in a hotel.  I really want to take a tour of the windmills this time as we missed our port of Amsterdam due to storms last September.

In case you only want to visit windmills take a train or bus to Zaanse Schans. Details here:https://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/a

On 3/9/2019 at 12:57 PM, cfgrandma said:

I don't know if I can post the info for the tour guide I will be using --because, under Cruise Critic rules, I can't recommend a guide if I haven't yet taken the tour myself...We got his info from someone on our roll call and checked him out--he has 70 reviews on tripadvisor.com--49 in English, 21 in Spanish and every one of them ranked him as "Excellent"...and, we've been very impressed so far with the communications...But, unfortunately, I cannot direct you to him...(Here's a hint:  Try googling "privatetours netherlands"...a little scanning of whatever comes up will likely draw you to him--or you may find other recommended guides...That and check on Cruise Critic's sister site, Tripadvisor.com).

I can recommend the guide we used on our last visit to Amsterdam:

https://www.thedutchtraveladvisor.com/

This guy was VERY organized and very good...Took a group of 12 of us from a port stop in Rotterdam...Arranged minibus, canal boat (narrating the trip for us), skip-the-line tickets for Van Gogh Museum and Anne Frank House and a private showing of a canal house, split the group at one point, per our request, to two smaller groups--one visiting Rijksmuseum, the other visiting the Portuguese Synagogue and Jewish Museum--with a separate guide...brought on yet another guide for the canal house and a walk through the Red Light District...and everything worked like clockwork...

Good luck...