Storms in Sept: Vancouver to Hi

mlbcruiser

I know it isn’t super common for hurricanes to hit the Hawaiian islands, although it can happen. Wondering how often they occur east of HI along the route to Vancouver in Sept.? If you cruised in that area in Sept. and your ship was affected or had to change course due to a tropical depression or hurricane/typhoon, what was your experience? 

Thanks for any replies. 

There are hurricanes in the ocean area between Mexico and Hawaii every July-November.  If a hurricane is between Vancouver and Hawaii, it is north of Hawaii- most hurricanes move to the west from close to Mexico towards Hawaii. This last season, two hurricanes did close drive-bys of Hawaii. We happened to go to Hawaii in the period of time in between the lessor hurricane and the worse one. 

Hurricanes can affect the islands sort of oddly. For example, the lessor hurricane this last summer affected mostly the north side of islands. We were in Wailea on Maui (south side of Maui)...the only real issue was beach erosion. The second, larger hurricane did much more serious, widespread damage.

Just like in the Caribbean, cruise ships altered their routes and schedules.

Thanks CruiserBruce. I did do a bit of research that mirrors your info. Having spent 17 yrs in FL and still visiting there a lot,  I usually don’t cruise the northern caribbean or Bahamas in late summer through mid Oct since just the everyday rain and storms are much more frequent in that area and definitely can impact outside deck, beach and port outings. I know many people cruise then and have good luck, though. At least one online cruise website doesn’t list the eastern Pacific areas as having lots more rain in Sept. I guess like CA, rain (not just the short downpours common in tropical climates)  is more common in winter in the area between HI and the US/Canadian mainland? 

Rain is more common in the tropical portions of the eastern Pacific in September, rather than off the West Coast of the US. But as September progresses, the rainy areas can start to drop from Alaska/Canada southward. Alaska can be pretty stormy in September. Conversely, the best weather month of the year in San Francisco is September, and fire danger is very high all over California, well in to October.

Thanks so much for the information. I really appreciate it. Difficult to find exactly what I needed by doing searches on Google and so forth. One place at a time worked but considering that whole vast area,  it was more difficult.  I really appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Edited by mlbcruiser

• 1 month later...

September/October 2017 we sailed from Vancouver to Hawaii.  We had a day or 2 of cloudy skies, but I don’t remember any rain.  I do remember some very windy times though, mostly at night...or at least, that’s when we noticed it more, which lead to big waves, but we were not bothered by them at all.

i would say “go for it”

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lasekeye said:

September/October 2017 we sailed from Vancouver to Hawaii.  We had a day or 2 of cloudy skies, but I don’t remember any rain.  I do remember some very windy times though, mostly at night...or at least, that’s when we noticed it more, which lead to big waves, but we were not bothered by them at all.

i would say “go for it”

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We just did this itinerary Sept 2018. There was a hurricane in the South Pacific but it did not effect us at all. Our first night out of Vancouver was rainy and a little rough but after that the days and the nights were beautiful.  It was almost like a lake. The weather was hot and humid in the Hawaiian Islands.   We also stayed on this ship and continued on down through Polynesia to Australia. Absolutely fantastic Cruise.  Will definitely do this itinerary again. 

On 5/14/2019 at 10:21 PM, mauimary said:

We just did this itinerary Sept 2018. There was a hurricane in the South Pacific but it did not effect us at all. Our first night out of Vancouver was rainy and a little rough but after that the days and the nights were beautiful.  It was almost like a lake. The weather was hot and humid in the Hawaiian Islands.   We also stayed on this ship and continued on down through Polynesia to Australia. Absolutely fantastic Cruise.  Will definitely do this itinerary again. 

When the weather cooperates the "passive" Pacific can be amazing . The video was on Rhapsody in September 2014 sailing from Vancouver to Hawaii. (sorry about the creaking noises in the middle 😋)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PCWalton1 said:

When the weather cooperates the "passive" Pacific can be amazing . The video was on Rhapsody in September 2014 sailing from Vancouver to Hawaii. (sorry about the creaking noises in the middle 😋)

That’s a good example of the definition of pacific:  “having a soothing appearance or effect”. 😊

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...