Sister Line testing charges for 2nd entree in MDR

jas1178

Wondered if any of the Carnival cruisers saw this article: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/3803/

"Holland America Line Tests 'Second Entree' Upcharge in Main Dining Room"

..."Over the years we have upgraded the menu, and we have experienced that guests occasionally order additional main courses they simply can't finish," a spokesperson for Holland America told Cruise Critic. "Holland America Line has made great efforts to reduce food waste and with this we can better determine if guests who order a second entree will truly enjoy it."...

I am not trying to scare anyone or start any rumors.  There is no indication that Carnival would do this.  However, the wording rings very similar to the way other changes have been implemented before (such as staff served bacon, or the failed room service for a fee).

This is a great tradition of cruising for us (trying something we wouldn't ordinarily try if we were paying) or enjoying that second tiny lobster of formal night on 6+ day cruises.

Your thoughts?

8 hours ago, jas1178 said:

Wondered if any of the Carnival cruisers saw this article: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/3803/

"Holland America Line Tests 'Second Entree' Upcharge in Main Dining Room"

..."Over the years we have upgraded the menu, and we have experienced that guests occasionally order additional main courses they simply can't finish," a spokesperson for Holland America told Cruise Critic. "Holland America Line has made great efforts to reduce food waste and with this we can better determine if guests who order a second entree will truly enjoy it."...

I am not trying to scare anyone or start any rumors.  There is no indication that Carnival would do this.  However, the wording rings very similar to the way other changes have been implemented before (such as staff served bacon, or the failed room service for a fee).

This is a great tradition of cruising for us (trying something we wouldn't ordinarily try if we were paying) or enjoying that second tiny lobster of formal night on 6+ day cruises.

Your thoughts?

Since I've never ordered a second entree' I don't see this having a big impact on me at all (I was given a second lobster tail once without asking, though). It's been my understanding (although I've never tried it) that one can order an appetizer sized portion of an entree'.

1 hour ago, Fla Mike said:

We were on the Feb 3rd Nieuw Amsterdam and did not see this at all.

Seated at an 8 top and some of our table mates ordered a 2nd entree a few nights.

None of the wait staff said a word.

Apparently it's being tried on 4 ships, and was implemented March 1.

Roz

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Roz said:

Apparently it's being tried on 4 ships, and was implemented March 1.

Roz

Correction - it was implemented sometime around Feb. 24.

Roz

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

It's been my understanding (although I've never tried it) that one can order an appetizer sized portion of an entree'.

You can, I've done it before per our server's recommendation, I've even noticed that some pasta dishes have a notation that they are available as an appetizer. 

• Like 2

On the HAL Cruise Critic forum there was a question about this in terms of if you order an entree and just cannot eat it (somebody ordered Sweetbreads and didn't know it was thymus or pancreas) and orders a second entree. Is there a charge? We cruised HAL in Feb., but before this test was started. Occasionally, DH will order a second entree if he isn't full and the entree he ordered was a small portion, but doesn't do it on a regular basis. We are more apt to order two appetizers and a salad and one entree rather than two entrees. I don't see a problem with it except in the instance of ordering an entree you can't eat for some reason and you need to order something else.

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Since I've never ordered a second entree' I don't see this having a big impact on me at all (I was given a second lobster tail once without asking, though). It's been my understanding (although I've never tried it) that one can order an appetizer sized portion of an entree'.

Prior to American Table the pasta dish was available as an appetizer size.  That is no longer available.

4 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Just off the Dream two weeks ago where I ordered the pasta as a starter 4 times in the MDR. 

Was this offered on the menu, or did you just ask your server for this and the request was accommodated?

I'll be on Miracle next week, I would be overjoyed if that option has retuned.

Over the years the portions have grown smaller, I have no problem ordering a second entrée, especially if I want to try something out.  My suggestion is they could probably save if they just bring the entrée and not the accompanied side dishes. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jas1178 said:

Was this offered on the menu, or did you just ask your server for this and the request was accommodated?

I'll be on Miracle next week, I would be overjoyed if that option has retuned.

I don't recall seeing it printed on the menu but I assumed it was still an option and the staff never blinked when I ordered it most nights. 

I’d prefer they off some dishes without carbs on them and more proteins. That’d save me from ordering a 2nd entree just to have more proteins. 

Example, when we order the seafood pasta, I only eat the seafood and never the pasta. And wait staff won’t serve just a steak or salmon without all the sides on the plate. These rules generate waste. 

I wish Carnival would allow more paleo style plating options than just carb loading those who don’t seek carbs. 

• Like 4

On the formal night with lobster, I typically create a surf and turf with prime rib and lobster tail.  Don't have any problem finishing them both as the entrees aren't very big.  Otherwise the typical soup, salad, app, entree, and dessert courses are more than enough food.  If they are thinking about some type of limit, I would prefer 1 entree + 1 app sized entree or 2 entrees IMO.  Being able to try things with minimal repercussions is one of the reasons to cruise.

As a family, sometimes we have ordered a second dish to try something that sounds interesting. This has given our kids and us a chance to try things that we may not have and been more adventurous. If we didn’t like it, it’s not a big deal. 

If Carnival is serious about reducing food waste and cost then they should stop serving pre-plated banquet style meals and allow us the option of ordering the presentation our way, e.g. I'd like extra greens beans and carrots and no potatoes. If you watch JH's videos he orders his dinner in the MDR as one would in a restaurant ashore just as I am suggesting. 

It's likely I wouldn't resort to a second entree if I could customize my first. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rolloman said:

Over the years the portions have grown smaller, I have no problem ordering a second entrée, especially if I want to try something out.  My suggestion is they could probably save if they just bring the entrée and not the accompanied side dishes. 

For me, and my family, we typically order additional items (app/entree/or dessert) typically to try something we wouldn't order if we were paying for it.  Found some new favorites this way that I wouldn't have otherwise tried.  Lobster night, I'll order two if they are small..

59 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I don't recall seeing it printed on the menu but I assumed it was still an option and the staff never blinked when I ordered it most nights. 

Thanks for this, I was denied the request early on with American Table (ironically on Vista & Horizon) so perhaps it was because the history wasn't there?  I'll try again.

35 minutes ago, 3smithboys said:

As a family, sometimes we have ordered a second dish to try something that sounds interesting. This has given our kids and us a chance to try things that we may not have and been more adventurous. If we didn’t like it, it’s not a big deal. 

This is EXACTLY one of the huge trademarks of cruising.  My kids used to have servers bring out things to get them to tried.  Funny thing was that when they brought it out and didn't tell them what it was, new favorites were found.

14 minutes ago, BoDidly said:

OP , I think is coming . I also think the sister line in testing the waters so to speak.

I think its possible.  Its an opportunity to monetize, so it wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1