Sister Line testing charges for 2nd entree in MDR

jas1178

1 minute ago, Crazy4Camping said:

I was told that the lobster is only available on a 7-day with Carnival.  Even just a tail, I enjoyed it and was shocked to learn that NCL doesn't offer it at all anymore.  I figure Carnival is prob heading that way.  My father used to boast that he only sails on NCL because he could eat lobster and prime rib, all he wanted, anytime throughout the cruise.  No he's only eating his words LOL!!

yes Lobster at no extra charge in the MDR is only on cruises longer than 6 days.

8 minutes ago, Crazy4Camping said:

I was told that the lobster is only available on a 7-day with Carnival.  Even just a tail, I enjoyed it and was shocked to learn that NCL doesn't offer it at all anymore.  I figure Carnival is prob heading that way.  My father used to boast that he only sails on NCL because he could eat lobster and prime rib, all he wanted, anytime throughout the cruise.  No he's only eating his words LOL!!

I believe that is right, lobster isn't offered on the shorter sailings (at least the included lobster in the MDR, not sure about the surcharge lobster).

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

I haven't missed the table clothes at all and only having them on formal night does tend to emphasis that night. People have become much less formal and I can't even remember the last time I ate at a restaurant that had table clothes.

Same here, and I agree. Honestly we like the more casual, modern look and feel of the American Table. 

3 hours ago, Crazy4Camping said:

Can I ask what the prices were to eat at the Steakhouse?  We've only cruised on Fascination where there are no specialty restaurants.  Also, did you feel it was worth it-to pay for food when there's so many options included in the cruise price?

I think with specialty dining you are paying for an experience as much as for the food.

We dined at David's Steakhouse on the Pride last September and I think it was $35 pp but recently increased to $38 or $39 pp.

This included: an amuse bouche; bread basket (better breads); choice of 2 from soup, salad, and appetizer; one entree (unlimited sides); one dessert.  We went on the first night and were also able to get a bottle of wine of our choice for 50% off.  There is also the option of a free bottle of house wine, but we prefer sweet so opted for the Moscato.

The disappointing: Service is a little more attentive, but we were disappointed in our server. The seating was awkward - along bench for my husband which was shared with other tables spaced apart and with an ocean view, but bad sun glare.  My back was to the ocean and while I like the view of my husband 😉 I would have preferred a standard table where we could both have the ocean view.  The booth/table set up also appeared to be designed for larger guests, as there was a big gap from the table for my 6' husband if he sat back.  There was also a strong vibration, but that might have been fixed in dry dock.  It was also very dark, but I think that is supposed to provide "atmosphere."  Obviously some of our issues wouldn't always be there - servers will vary, table seating could change, and time of day would affect the glare.

The good:  Generous (almost too generous) portions.  Shrimp cocktail was at least 3x as large as MDR and also had nice touch of an avocado topping.  Food prepared for a much smaller crowd, so more a la minute items and better quality.  Better side dishes and "fancier" menu overall.  More intimate setting than MDR if you are opting for a romantic evening (or just avoiding crowds).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Directly from John Heald's mouth via Facebook this morning and I quote. "We are not going to charge extra if Curtis would like to order another kale salad or a flat iron steak or a lobster or a dollop of mashed potato or any other item he wishes to order. I would appreciate someone posting this on Cruise Critic for me so I don’t have to keep answering this over and over again." End quote!  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cruiselovingirlfromboston said:

Directly from John Heald's mouth via Facebook this morning and I quote. "We are not going to charge extra if Curtis would like to order another kale salad or a flat iron steak or a lobster or a dollop of mashed potato or any other item he wishes to order. I would appreciate someone posting this on Cruise Critic for me so I don’t have to keep answering this over and over again." End quote!  

Yep and there's a laundry list of things he has stepped in and had to reverse himself because Carnival corporate threw John under the bus. Patience grasshopper. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I think with specialty dining you are paying for an experience as much as for the food.

We dined at David's Steakhouse on the Pride last September and I think it was $35 pp but recently increased to $38 or $39 pp.

This included: an amuse bouche; bread basket (better breads); choice of 2 from soup, salad, and appetizer; one entree (unlimited sides); one dessert.  We went on the first night and were also able to get a bottle of wine of our choice for 50% off.  There is also the option of a free bottle of house wine, but we prefer sweet so opted for the Moscato.

The disappointing: Service is a little more attentive, but we were disappointed in our server. The seating was awkward - along bench for my husband which was shared with other tables spaced apart and with an ocean view, but bad sun glare.  My back was to the ocean and while I like the view of my husband 😉 I would have preferred a standard table where we could both have the ocean view.  The booth/table set up also appeared to be designed for larger guests, as there was a big gap from the table for my 6' husband if he sat back.  There was also a strong vibration, but that might have been fixed in dry dock.  It was also very dark, but I think that is supposed to provide "atmosphere."  Obviously some of our issues wouldn't always be there - servers will vary, table seating could change, and time of day would affect the glare.

The good:  Generous (almost too generous) portions.  Shrimp cocktail was at least 3x as large as MDR and also had nice touch of an avocado topping.  Food prepared for a much smaller crowd, so more a la minute items and better quality.  Better side dishes and "fancier" menu overall.  More intimate setting than MDR if you are opting for a romantic evening (or just avoiding crowds).

This is how the MDR used to be, when Carnival started in the 1970's.

Edited by fireofficer5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rainbowflag said:

Yep and there's a laundry list of things he has stepped in and had to reverse himself because Carnival corporate threw John under the bus. Patience grasshopper. 

So he directly refutes it and you say he is wrong....amazing.

John says something WILL happen everyone waits impatiently for it to take place.

John says something WILL NOT happen everyone says he is lying.

If this happens, and you don't like it, Don't. Order. Extra. Problem solved.

Is it possible to wait and argue about something AFTER it happens?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bookbug53 said:

John says something WILL happen everyone waits impatiently for it to take place.

John says something WILL NOT happen everyone says he is lying.

If this happens, and you don't like it, Don't. Order. Extra. Problem solved.

Is it possible to wait and argue about something AFTER it happens?

I wouldn't say he's lying but there have been several times where he has been out of the loop on something.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2019 at 9:32 AM, jas1178 said:

Prior to American Table the pasta dish was available as an appetizer size.  That is no longer available.

We just got off the Pride journey cruise January 20th and I ordered the pasta dish as an appetizer several nights and always received an appetizer portion. The server didn't question my order or anything either. True it no longer indicates it on the menu but it never hurts to ask and they were fine with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waterwatcher said:

John Heald said today that is not going to happen on Carnival.

And he's probably right, but if the HAL experiment ends up saving HAL big money then other Carnival brands will have to at least consider it.

On 3/5/2019 at 9:21 AM, sanmarcosman said:

You do not know this as fact and it's not likely that the management you have spoken to know any more than you.  Offering opinion is welcome here but you don't know what is or what will be in the mind of a Carnival executive tomorrow that will markedly alter their current business model. 

Do not ever ever doubt me....😎

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

And he's probably right, but if the HAL experiment ends up saving HAL big money then other Carnival brands will have to at least consider it.

I would wager that it does not happen much on HAL, so I cannot fathom it saving tons of money (waste) or generating tons of revenue (charging for extra meals). 

10 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I would wager that it does not happen much on HAL, so I cannot fathom it saving tons of money (waste) or generating tons of revenue (charging for extra meals). 

That's what my gut is telling me, too. I think someone mentioned a new MBA or something trying to make a name for themselves and that's more likely than not what's going on. 

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

That's what my gut is telling me, too. I think someone mentioned a new MBA or something trying to make a name for themselves and that's more likely than not what's going on. 

new MBA?

18 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

new MBA?

Masters in Business Administration. (Come to think of it this may have been mentioned in the thread on another forum that is discussing this issue.)

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

i have for years ordered 2nd entree's. Some times trying something new and others enjoying a second serving of a diner i really enjoyed. Not wasting food but i agree with an earlier replay that just the main entree on the second serving would be helpful.

I could be wrong but was told that the lobsters served on the cruise ships are not the New England type lobster with large claws.  Without them, you need two lobsters to make an average meal.  Much of the lobster meat would be in the missing claws.  I always order 2 lobsters but that is the only meal that I need to order double.  Would I be disappointed  to pay for a second lobster?  ABSOLUTELY!!  If they can afford to give you 2 or 3 Guy Burgers, they can give you 2 small lobsters.  Oh Oh!  Did I just give them another idea?