Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Toddcan

Indy Questions - boarding in 6 days

I should have asked earlier, but  we're selling our house and renovating our next house.. blah blah blah :)   I feel odd this cruise as I have spend VERY little time preparing and researching for our upcoming Indy cruise, which is abnormal - believe me. So, I come to the experts for a little guidance, please. Please forgive me as it's been a few years since we've sailed on Royal, so I have not been even lurking on these forums - I see lots of changes as I dig into things. Hence the questions/clarifications.  Please and thank you! 

Independence of the Seas

5 night Western - March 9-14

Labadee(my fav!) and Falmouth

Q1 - Coke Freestyle.  I see the Indy has one!   Where are they located?  Are they conveniently located for a sea day on the deck?  What about on the way to seeing a show?  We don't drink alcohol, but love the various possibilities with the diet sodas.  

Q2- Internet -VOOM - difference between Surf and the Surf/Stream packages?   I'm assuming it's speed, but is it also data limits?  I won't be facetiming, but I might watch a few YouTube, or play a few video games on my tablet (which need connections).   I'm thinking I need the Surf/Stream. Thoughts?  Also, if I get a 2 device package, does this mean I can use 5 of my devices, as long as only 2 of them are connected at any one time? Or... are the first 2 devices the only ones I can use - ever?

Note: I am seeing a Soda and VOOM combo package which looks decent for pricing (relatively). 

Q3 - Ice show  - tickets still distributed from a kiosk on the promenade?

Q4 - Arrival packages??  I don't see any options to get in room decorations or chocolate covered strawberries, etc - are these options gone?

Q5 - Pre-assigned arrival times?  I know it wasn't a long standing thing, but for a while, they asked you to arrive at the port at a certain time - I've received no emails on instructions. Doesn't matter much anyways, we're usually at the port by 10.30am :)    Any changes here?  Boarding still starts between 11am (if everything goes well) and Noon (if there are delays on the ship) 

Any other Indy veterans who can chime in with any other tips/comments will be greatly appreciated.  

Cheers! 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

I should have asked earlier, but  we're selling our house and renovating our next house.. blah blah blah 🙂  I feel odd this cruise as I have spend VERY little time preparing and researching for our upcoming Indy cruise, which is abnormal - believe me. So, I come to the experts for a little guidance, please. Please forgive me as it's been a few years since we've sailed on Royal, so I have not been even lurking on these forums - I see lots of changes as I dig into things. Hence the questions/clarifications.  Please and thank you! 

Independence of the Seas

5 night Western - March 9-14

Labadee(my fav!) and Falmouth

Q1 - Coke Freestyle.  I see the Indy has one!   Where are they located?  Are they conveniently located for a sea day on the deck?  What about on the way to seeing a show?  We don't drink alcohol, but love the various possibilities with the diet sodas.  

Q2- Internet -VOOM - difference between Surf and the Surf/Stream packages?   I'm assuming it's speed, but is it also data limits?  I won't be facetiming, but I might watch a few YouTube, or play a few video games on my tablet (which need connections).   I'm thinking I need the Surf/Stream. Thoughts?  Also, if I get a 2 device package, does this mean I can use 5 of my devices, as long as only 2 of them are connected at any one time? Or... are the first 2 devices the only ones I can use - ever?

Note: I am seeing a Soda and VOOM combo package which looks decent for pricing (relatively). 

Q3 - Ice show  - tickets still distributed from a kiosk on the promenade?

Q4 - Arrival packages??  I don't see any options to get in room decorations or chocolate covered strawberries, etc - are these options gone?

Q5 - Pre-assigned arrival times?  I know it wasn't a long standing thing, but for a while, they asked you to arrive at the port at a certain time - I've received no emails on instructions. Doesn't matter much anyways, we're usually at the port by 10.30am 🙂   Any changes here?  Boarding still starts between 11am (if everything goes well) and Noon (if there are delays on the ship) 

Any other Indy veterans who can chime in with any other tips/comments will be greatly appreciated.  

Cheers! 

Hey Todd,  enjoy Labadee.  

If if you want to FaceTime you should definitely get the surf and stream.  With the 2 device package you can use any number of different devices but only 2 at a time.

boarding is still the same...show up whenever you want, the suggested times are not enforced.

sorry I can’t help with Indy specific questions.  I would imagine freestyle machines are on promenade by Sorrentos and in the WJ based on Freedom

Edited by Ourusualbeach

24 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

I'm assuming it's speed, but is it also data limits? 

No data limit on VOOM.

14 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Hey Todd,  enjoy Labadee.  

If if you want to FaceTime you should definitely get the surf and stream.  With the 2 device package you can use any number of different devices but only 2 at a time.

boarding is still the same...show up whenever you want, the suggested times are not enforced.

sorry I can’t help with Indy specific questions.  I would imagine freestyle machines are on promenade by Sorrentos and in the WJ based on Freedom

Thanks Ken!   Looks like you're a cruising maniac!  Lots of time on the sea - good on ya! 

Thanks for the guidance. It's been 4 yrs since we have been in Indy.   

With the Freestyle machines - have you ever got the package, or used the machines?  Are there only a few on the ship in total?  Lineups?  

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

No data limit on VOOM.

Thx!  I would imagine then it's just the speed.   I last cruised on RCI 3 years ago, and VOOM wasn't on the Navigator (I don't think). A lot can change with tech in 3 years.  

1 minute ago, Toddcan said:

Thanks Ken!   Looks like you're a cruising maniac!  Lots of time on the sea - good on ya! 

Thanks for the guidance. It's been 4 yrs since we have been in Indy.   

With the Freestyle machines - have you ever got the package, or used the machines?  Are there only a few on the ship in total?  Lineups?  

We pretty much have the cups most cruises as we get the Boardwalk balconies.  We tend not to use them much anymore as the novelty has worn off for the kids and they don’t like carrying around the cups.  We never had too many issues with the machines but others have.  It’s hit or miss as to whether they get restocked regularly. 

When you are on Labadee if you see a family making a giant sand alligator on the beach that would be my cousins.  They are on the same sailing a you.

Four  more days till we begin our drive south.

3 hours ago, Toddcan said:

I last cruised on RCI 3 years ago, and VOOM wasn't on the Navigator (I don't think). 

All ships have VOOM, it’s just the marketing term for internet on RCI. 

In the cruise planner you can order room decorations or call them directly as you're getting close 🙂  We board her tomorrow so we'll keep her in good shape for you!