Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
mfs2k

Can suite guests eat in Blu?

Recommended Posts

We are traveling with another couple on Equinox. We’re all booked in Aqua Class

 

The move up bidding minimums for suites just dropped again. 

 

If we upgraded to a suite could we still eat dinners with our friends in Blu?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breakfast is usually fine..

Dinner is only subject to availability

Suite guests have Luminae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And your guests could join you in Luminae as well, also subject to availability. While Blu is free to suite guests, guests dining in Luminae do incur a fee (price varies depending on if breakfast, lunch or dinner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes just speak to the Maitre D' in  Blu and explain the situation.  If you all share one table anyway it is not creating much of an issue with the wait list (if there is one) for other Aqua passengers.  If you decide to dine in Luminae there will be a $30 up charge pp for dinner.  (Lunch is $20 and breakfast is $10).  So the best way with no cost added is to all dine in Blu.  Or all dine in the MDR.  Or of course the Oceanview!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes just speak to the Maitre D' in  Blu and explain the situation.  If you all share one table anyway it is not creating much of an issue with the wait list (if there is one) for other Aqua passengers.  If you decide to dine in Luminae there will be a $30 up charge pp for dinner.  (Lunch is $20 and breakfast is $10).  So the best way with no cost added is to all dine in Blu.  Or all dine in the MDR.  Or of course the Oceanview!

 

Exactly!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hijack this thread, but what would be the differences in the menus between Luminae and Blu?  We are booked in a suite for an upcoming Summit cruise and I'd love to try Blu at least once, if possible / space is available.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SleepingUgly said:

Sorry to hijack this thread,

 

I yield the floor to your question. I got my answer. 😁😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mfs2k said:

We are traveling with another couple on Equinox. We’re all booked in Aqua Class

 

The move up bidding minimums for suites just dropped again. 

 

If we upgraded to a suite could we still eat dinners with our friends in Blu?

I have had no problems dining between Blu and Luminea when staying in suite's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have never had a problem getting into Blu.   May be that we are late diners but usually just check with the Restaurant Manager about availability and times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one and only time we requested Blu we were told "no" so it does happen.  I don't remember the reason they gave but it was a definite "no"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been in Aqua and waiting to be seated and saw them turn away Suite guests.  We have also been a Suite and the Luminae MD checked on Blu for us and no space available.  Now we did ask to go on the night Short Ribs were on the Blu menu so that night is a favorite for many.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do wish that if suite guests are seated/eating at Blu and an AQ pax are waiting that they'd offer reciprocity and send the AQ pax to Luminae if service there would be faster.

Would be far nicer than waiting.

Since reserv are not needed for Blu and the ship knows the capacity... is there a way the Blu staff know (from say a central reserv) IF AQ pax are dining in specialty ?

Glad to hear that MaitreD will say No when it is full (and he/she clearly has a full room) and AQ waiting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

If you all share one table anyway it is not creating much of an issue with the wait list (if there is one) for other Aqua passengers.

Not really true. If a suite couple share with an aqua couple, then they are taking up either a 4-top or two 2-tops (when we were last in aqua with friends in aqua, we shared two 2-tops adjacent to the windows - waiter just pulled them together to form a 4-top) instead of a 2-top. And many aqua couples plan on sharing a 4-top or two adjacent 2-tops with another aqua couple - just as the OP is intending if they do not upgrade to a suite. So yes, it could certainly impact the wait list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Fogfog, those of us who are in the select dining and have to wait because someone from Aqua or a suite decides to eat in select without checking with the maître d’ first also wish that we could go to Luminae or blue to balance out the numbers. But that ain’t going to happen either😁

Edited by cruisestitch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have seen people turned away in Blu . We eat early and they were always busy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If we get the move up, (unlikely) I trust the Blu Maitre D’ will try to accommodate us even if it means we have to eat earlier or later than we want to, to avoid taking seats from other Aqua guests. If not I’ll have to suffer and eat in Luminae with my wife 😁 and our friends can eat in Blu. We’re booked in specialty restaurants twice anyway. 

Edited by mfs2k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, SleepingUgly said:

Sorry to hijack this thread, but what would be the differences in the menus between Luminae and Blu?  We are booked in a suite for an upcoming Summit cruise and I'd love to try Blu at least once, if possible / space is available.

 

Thanks!

Don't know about Blu, but the starters, entrees and especially the chocolate desserts provided on the 14 day cycled Luminae menus were wonderful and at no time did we even think about trying Blu on our recent 21 day b2b Reflection cruise. What was also nice was that we had the same head waiter and the same window table for 2 every evening and after a few days, Miro got to know our tastes and we just asked him what was good that night and he never disappointed us.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Don't know about Blu, but the starters, entrees and especially the chocolate desserts provided on the 14 day cycled Luminae menus were wonderful and at no time did we even think about trying Blu on our recent 21 day b2b Reflection cruise. What was also nice was that we had the same head waiter and the same window table for 2 every evening and after a few days, Miro got to know our tastes and we just asked him what was good that night and he never disappointed us.

 

Thank you, Ken!  We are onboard for only seven nights so probably won't venture from Luminae.  If anything, we may actually be lazy and choose to do a casual dinner at the buffet one night, haha.  Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Not really true. If a suite couple share with an aqua couple, then they are taking up either a 4-top or two 2-tops (when we were last in aqua with friends in aqua, we shared two 2-tops adjacent to the windows - waiter just pulled them together to form a 4-top) instead of a 2-top. And many aqua couples plan on sharing a 4-top or two adjacent 2-tops with another aqua couple - just as the OP is intending if they do not upgrade to a suite. So yes, it could certainly impact the wait list.

Ok if you want to get really technical about it you are right that in certain circumstances it might cause a slight delay on the wait list if there even is a wait list.  But we are trying to help the op solve a problem here.  We are not debating the impact of having two suite passengers share the same table with two aqua passengers and how it would inconvenience other aqua passengers for a few minutes in rare instances.   I did say in my post to check with the Blu maitre D’ first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the friends can try to move up too. If not,  they can  do Specialty  together as planned     and a paid for guest spot at Luminae.. once or twice.

 

The BLU maitre d might be able to work it out for an off night but would not count on it being  all the time.  BLU is very busy  with limited seating, so it truly is  on a space available basis fir suite class guests.  This  is a self created dilema ( if it happens)  and is  not unique.

 

Breakfast...no issue!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mfs2k said:

If we get the move up, (unlikely) I trust the Blu Maitre D’ will try to accommodate us even if it means we have to eat earlier or later than we want to, to avoid taking seats from other Aqua guests. If not I’ll have to suffer and eat in Luminae with my wife 😁 and our friends can eat in Blu. We’re booked in specialty restaurants twice anyway. 

 

Don't count on that accommodation.  Blu can get really busy and suite guests were turned away on a recent cruise.  

 

If you must eat with another couple, you should all have the same class of accommodation to make it easy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be a shame to “move up” to a suite and not eat in Luminae.

And we Love Blu!

I get why you would want to dine with your friends, but if thats a priority, I don’t think I’d change class of cabin. I know there are other advantages to a suite but still I’m not thinking I’d move up this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

It would be a shame to “move up” to a suite and not eat in Luminae.

And we Love Blu!

I get why you would want to dine with your friends, but if thats a priority, I don’t think I’d change class of cabin. I know there are other advantages to a suite but still I’m not thinking I’d move up this time.

Square footage means a lot to me so if I have an opportunity to rent more square footage at a low cost I’m going to bid. If I don’t win it’s still all good. I’m in Aqua. 

Everyone will be happy. No worries. It’s a vacation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, keesar said:

 

Don't count on that accommodation.  Blu can get really busy and suite guests were turned away on a recent cruise.  

 

If you must eat with another couple, you should all have the same class of accommodation to make it easy.  

Again I'm not saying to just show up and expect to be accommodated.  But this is not a case of two suite guests by themselves simply showing up at Blu and asking to be seated (although it is within the rules for them).  They will be sailing with two other Aqua passengers using Blu.  So on any given evening checking in advance with the maitre D' is the way to go and they will possibly provide a time to be seated.  Or the suite guests can have their butler check and give them a time.  No need to make this overly complicated.  Not trying to annoy any Aqua guests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with TeeRick.  The key here is to work with the maitre D' and be flexible with the time you wish to eat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...