How Secure Is The Cruise Critic Site?

Oville

Explain more. 

What do you mean by hack your personal device?

cruise critic is just a website. You’re not exchanging encrypted information other than your username and password. 

If it gives you any comfort, cruise critic is run by “The Independent Traveler Inc which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Trip Advisor. 

Edited by mfs2k
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Oville said:

Never thought about this until last night.  Could someone actually hack your personal device using the Cruise Critic site?  Just curious.  Katie

I'm not sure this was a question for the Celebrity Forum, but I do know we don't need it twice.

Cruisecritic is a website like any other. Follow the general rule to not click on pop ups or anything that appears on your screen unexpectedly. Just close the browser.

when personal devices are ‘hacked’ its usually via a virus. You get a virus by downloading things. browsing websites (outside of putting your personal information and credit card information) is pretty low risk. Just don’t click on pop ups.

Edited by sanger727

Be

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Cruisecritic is a website like any other. Follow the general rule to not click on pop ups or anything that appears on your screen unexpectedly. Just close the browser.

when personal devices are ‘hacked’ its usually via a virus. You get a virus by downloading things. browsing websites (outside of putting your personal information and credit card information) is pretty low risk. Just don’t click on pop ups.

Be careful of the closing "x" in the corner.  Sometimes it's the same as clicking on the pop ups.  I have stopped using some sites that plaster the whole page with ads.  So far CC hasn't gone to that extreme.

As far as I am concerned anything posted on any social media is out there for anyone to see. I am shocked at times to see on sites like Facebook posts showing people's minute by minute activities including detailed maps of places they are visiting or travelling to?  

For those with nefarious intent almost anything about anyone can be obtained in today's age of the internet. 

I was curious recently and decided I would try and find a college buddy from 1971,  After having no contact with him for almost 50 years I began a search on the internet. In less than one hour I located him. Through a circuitous search on a Facebook account that hadn't been used for years (the account was actually in a false name) and other databases I located him. His address, current employment ststus, income level, marital status, wife and children's names, past addresses, telephone number and photos of his new home and how much he paid for it. I didn't go into any of the pay to see databases that many have access to, for example motor vehicle records, if I did I would be able to see his driving records and details on his vehicle history. 

I was glad I did and have since renewed a wonderful friendship with a chum who is 200 miles away and we are now as close as our cellphones.

Be careful but understand there is NO WAY that anything that goes out on the web or anything entered into any computer is really safe.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oville said:

Never thought about this until last night.  Could someone actually hack your personal device using the Cruise Critic site?  Just curious.  Katie

Some years ago there was an internet wide issue with ads carrying malware. For the most part the problem has been brought under control and such content is quite rare and are usually blocked/caught.

Aside from Malware, I think the most vulnerable piece of data on this site is perhaps your account credentials so use a different password here than for other sites.  This will provide one more level of protection should an account (site) get hacked; the password is useless for access to any other (likely more personal) site you visit such as banking.

I am of the belief that nothing is foolproof so do what you can on your end to make it tougher for breaches.

• Like 1

We also need to be watching for suspicious postings/links, and report them immediately. The mods/admins/tech-folks here do a great job of cleaning up the 'garbage', but we can help them out, whenever we spot something that doesn't look right. To quote the banner on Summit's bridge: "Eternal vigilance is the price of safety"!

• Like 2