Windstar Alaska questions

VetteCity

1 hour ago, new_cruiser said:

It's not a bad choice. I did the kayaking at all 3 opportunities and really enjoyed it. The first stop (Kenai Fjords), I also took a zodiac to see how it compares. It was fun, but not better. I preferred the more active alternative of the kayak.

I had thought the kayaking, which we love to do, would give us a better opportunity to see things.

On 5/1/2019 at 12:00 PM, milepig said:

We have four of these days. Only one is yet showing up under excursions, priced at $185

racy Arm & Endicott Arm, Windstar Signature Expedition – Tracy Arm Zodiac Tour (Easy-Moderate)

1 hour, 15 mins - Approximate Tour Departure 8:15 AM • $185.00

Four of those for two people can really add up.

We did 3 zodiacs, Kenai, Tracy Arm, and Misty Fjords. Yes they are expensive but breathtaking.  If I had to drop one it would be Misty simply because the other two were glaciers with ice floating by and would not want to have missed either.  As for Zodiac or Kayak,  it depends on physical ability. The kayaks obviously take more physically and we both have issues that would make it not so much fun. If we didn't,  absolutely we would have loved to give it a try but don't feel like we missed any part of the experience by being in a zodiac. To the contrary, there is an expedition guide running the boat and their narrative and ability to answer questions and point things out made these our very favorite excursions in a list of wonderful AK excursions. 

12 minutes ago, sb44 said:

We did 3 zodiacs, Kenai, Tracy Arm, and Misty Fjords. Yes they are expensive but breathtaking.  If I had to drop one it would be Misty simply because the other two were glaciers with ice floating by and would not want to have missed either.  As for Zodiac or Kayak,  it depends on physical ability. The kayaks obviously take more physically and we both have issues that would make it not so much fun. If we didn't,  absolutely we would have loved to give it a try but don't feel like we missed any part of the experience by being in a zodiac. To the contrary, there is an expedition guide running the boat and their narrative and ability to answer questions and point things out made these our very favorite excursions in a list of wonderful AK excursions. 

Thanks - very helpful.

Our four are:

College Fjord

Hubbard Glaciar

Port Adolphus

(these are two days in a row)

Tracy Arm

2 hours ago, milepig said:

Thanks - very helpful.

Our four are:

College Fjord

Hubbard Glaciar

Port Adolphus

(these are two days in a row)

Tracy Arm

Your itinerary is different than ours. I took a look and personally I would do Tracy Arm and College Fjord, two spectacular glaciers, if budget wise you only want to do two. Also do a flight seeing somewhere along the way. Almost passed on this as we did in New Zealand but so glad we did. It's an entire other perspective. If they offer Taku Lodge by all means do that one. A fabulous day! We are really anxious to go back. Doing 20 days on the Surf this summer and Tall Ships in 2020 but need to get AK back in the schedule again.

14 minutes ago, sb44 said:

Your itinerary is different than ours. I took a look and personally I would do Tracy Arm and College Fjord, two spectacular glaciers, if budget wise you only want to do two. Also do a flight seeing somewhere along the way. Almost passed on this as we did in New Zealand but so glad we did. It's an entire other perspective. If they offer Taku Lodge by all means do that one. A fabulous day! We are really anxious to go back. Doing 20 days on the Surf this summer and Tall Ships in 2020 but need to get AK back in the schedule again.

Thanks again. We'll be doing a flyover as part of our pre-cruise trip to Denali.

For us the money isn't the main issue, but more not wanting to repeat more or less the same experience four times - board the zodiak, see some ice and glaciers, maybe some wildlife, and then repeat the same thing the next day. If it's all varied that's fine.

In your experience, do these tend to fill up with pre-bookings, or is it possible to plan as we go once we're onboard - we do have some shipboard credit to use up.

Edited by milepig

29 minutes ago, milepig said:

Thanks again. We'll be doing a flyover as part of our pre-cruise trip to Denali.

For us the money isn't the main issue, but more not wanting to repeat more or less the same experience four times - board the zodiak, see some ice and glaciers, maybe some wildlife, and then repeat the same thing the next day. If it's all varied that's fine.

In your experience, do these tend to fill up with pre-bookings, or is it possible to plan as we go once we're onboard - we do have some shipboard credit to use up.

The scenery is never redundant in Alaska.  It changes from minute to minute.  And it is always awe-inspiring. You will not be "repeating the same thing the next day".  I would sign up for each of the Expedition Team excursions and book them in advance of the cruise.  We had sold-out excursions on our cruise last July.

32 minutes ago, ridethetide said:

The scenery is never redundant in Alaska.  It changes from minute to minute.  And it is always awe-inspiring. You will not be "repeating the same thing the next day".  I would sign up for each of the Expedition Team excursions and book them in advance of the cruise.  We had sold-out excursions on our cruise last July.

Thanks. This is June 2020 and only a couple excursions are posted, not to mention that I’m busily paying off the balance on our August back to back this month. I’ll watch and then book them all when the excursions come on line.