unassigned guaranteed cabin at payment date?

jose pato

Question--Today payment is due for us and we have an unassigned guaranteed veranda as of this writing.  Does anyone else have an unassigned guaranteed cabin?  Do we make payment, cabin unknown?

We have never done a guaranteed cabin before!

Gracias.

J n J

We have done many guarantees (with multiple cruise lines) and sometimes do not get a cabin assignment until a few days prior to the cruise.   In fact, a few years ago we had a HAL guarantee and did not know our cabin until we arrived at the port.  It was your decision to book a guarantee.  If you are uncomfortable with that situation you can contact your cruise agent (or the cruise line if you booked directly) and ask about choosing a specific cabin.   However, it is possible you would have to pay more money....but it never hurts to ask.  

Hank

• Like 1

A guarantee says that you will get a cabin at the level you have booked or higher.  It does not say when that cabin will be assigned.  On our latest assignment we were already in the air to the port.  Picked up our cabin number while waiting to change planes.  Got a great upgrade that time but that does not always happen.

Understand the above and thanks for responding...was more interested in when you found out and what were the results...failed to mention that this is on Celebrity and we are Elite there!

More responses?

Not sure why you mention your status, as that has nothing to do with getting a cabin assigned.

As has been said, you will be assigned a cabin between now and day of sailing. So yes, if you still want to go on the cruise, you probably should pay the bill.

Only mentioned status because someone elsewhere had stated that upgrades are more likely for those with loyalty status...not true?

Booked directly with our Celebrity Rep who has been great in the past...so, we will see.

Plan to make final payment regardless but still interested in others and their experiences...understanding that YMMV!

2 minutes ago, jose pato said:

Only mentioned status because someone elsewhere had stated that upgrades are more likely for those with loyalty status...not true? 

Princess upgraded our cabin for our first ever cruise, about two weeks before sail date. It was a fantastic surprise. (We had selected forward, to save the money, and got upgraded to mid-ship.)

Upgrades are driven by room types that the line needs to fulfill its guarantees as well as what is selling best.  Also affected by the fact that certain cruisers want very specific rooms and locations on the ship. Have seen upgrades go to rookies as well as vets so status is not the only or main driving factor.

We had a balcony guarantee on Princess and got a move-over offer by phone call three days prior to boarding. If we would move to an inside, they would refund 100% of our cruise fare. This was for 14 days on the Regal and the answer was a big YES.

• Like 1

You have made a contract with the cruise line for a cabin of a minimum category, PERIOD. Vast majority of guaranteed cabins are assigned about two weeks before sailing. HOWEVER it's not unheard of for assignment being learned at the dock. This is why you got a cabin for a couple of dollars cheaper. Relax, you have a cabin.

6 hours ago, jose pato said:

Booked directly with our Celebrity Rep who has been great in the past...so, we will see.

Plan to make final payment regardless but still interested in others and their experiences...understanding that YMMV!

Getting an upgrade and having a GTY stateroom assignment are two different things.   As others have said your assignment will be issued anytime from now to boarding, so make your payment as due or they can cancel your booking altogether.

As to loyalty status upgrades, if one is made relative to loyalty status, you have Zenith and Elite+ ahead of you - in that order - so I wouldn't get my hopes up unless there a number of higher category staterooms unsold.  But that typically occurs with full rate category bookings, not lower priced GTY's.

It is possible that with your GTY, a sub category - typically one level - above your GTY could be assigned if available, but that too is not something to count on either.  By that I mean a C2 GTY upgrade to a C1, but not a C category to a suite, which would be a different category altogether.  And, if made, this would not necessarily be tied into loyalty status.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

• 2 weeks later...

Finally received our cabin assignment and are quite happy!  Paid for 2D Guaranteed Cabin and received a 2B on the Hump!  Paid far, far less (more than 1200 less per person!) than if we were to have purchased an Assigned Cabin!  Happy here!  

But YMMV!  😎

On 3/4/2019 at 4:30 PM, jlp20 said:

You have made a contract with the cruise line for a cabin of a minimum category, PERIOD. Vast majority of guaranteed cabins are assigned about two weeks before sailing. HOWEVER it's not unheard of for assignment being learned at the dock. This is why you got a cabin for a couple of dollars cheaper. Relax, you have a cabin.

Always knew I had a cabin but quite happy with what we received...AND IT WAS FAR MORE THAN "A COUPLE OF DOLLARS CHEAPER!"

The purpose of my original query was to find what others had experienced booking a guaranteed cabin, i.e., when they received cabin assignment, what cabin finally received and satisfaction of said cabin, savings over booking an assigned vs a guaranteed, etc.    I knew that I had a cabin booked and within a specific category.  

Returning to post, re:  my cabin assignment, was done to relay info to one and all that, in our case, we booked an entry level cabin category and received a cabin two levels higher.  Additionally, we could have received an obstructed or partially obstructed view, poor deck location, or a cabin in a non-preferred location, i.e, above smoking areas, noisy areas, etc.  

Thus, booking a guaranteed cabin, sometimes at a far reduced price over an assigned cabin, can be a viable choice.😎

Feel free to offer your experiences herein ...

Edited by jose pato

3 hours ago, jose pato said:

The purpose of my original query was to find what others had experienced booking a guaranteed cabin, i.e., when they received cabin assignment, what cabin finally received and satisfaction...

I have to be blunt, you simply have to know what your doing. You don't book an inside cabin expecting the upgrade fairy putting you in a suite. You book what you are willing to stay in for that cruise. Your reward or letting them choose what you WANT is a discounted fare. We have done this four times, since we booked what we wanted we were happy with the results. Of the four, two were "upgraded". Meaning it was the same cabin but different location. Our assignments were 3-6 weeks in advance. If anyone books guaranteed and is not happy with the type cabin they get, it's their own fault. 

1 hour ago, jlp20 said:

I have to be blunt, you simply have to know what your doing. You don't book an inside cabin expecting the upgrade fairy putting you in a suite. You book what you are willing to stay in for that cruise. Your reward or letting them choose what you WANT is a discounted fare. We have done this four times, since we booked what we wanted we were happy with the results. Of the four, two were "upgraded". Meaning it was the same cabin but different location. Our assignments were 3-6 weeks in advance. If anyone books guaranteed and is not happy with the type cabin they get, it's their own fault. 

Is there a reason that you post in such large font and with color?  Seems like you are screaming...now calm down bro!  No one is refuting that you need to be aware that such upgrades from inside cabin to suite are not going to happen; nonetheless,  we did save more than a "couple bucks" as you implied previously and we were/are able to change cabins to any others in the same category that might become available prior to departure, so no, on Celebrity, at least, you are NOT stuck with the initial cabin assignment.

I note that you sail on Princess so, YMMV.  Just saying...

Oh, Happy St. Paddy's Day!