Cruise Critic Community
newbe4

2/24-3/3 Western Caribbean itinerary on the Nieuw Statendam

I Have benefited from numerous reviews so I thought it was time I returned the favor. Here is my review of the 2/24-3/3 Western Caribbean itinerary on the  Nieuw Statendam.

There were four of us – DH, DS and DD.  We had two cabins.  DH and I were in a Neptune Suite and our adult children were in a veranda room 7134. Nice size veranda but the smallest bathroom I have ever seen.

Embarkation – easy we arrived at the cruise terminal around 11 and were on board by 12 noon and both rooms were ready.  FYI – there were seven cruise ships in port that day.  Several of them seemed to follow us all week.

There has been a lot of chatter on CC regarding Club Orange.  Since Club Orange is included in a NS I purchased the upgrade for our children so they could embark with us and join us for dinner and breakfast.  I loved Club Orange. I did not feel like I was in a fishbowl or on display in any way.  I appreciated the quiet attentive service, the soft jazz music playing in the background that added the perfect touch of ambiance without being intrusive.  The staff is top notch and they got to know our family quite well.  We dined there for dinner four times and breakfast twice.   It never seemed too busy and that’s the point.  I liked the calm quiet atmosphere.  I am not sure how many extra passes were sold.  I would be interested to know.  I think there are 20 NS on this ship.

The food is the same as in the main dining room with an extra entre offered each night.  Most of the meal is prepared in the kitchen within CO.

As I mentioned, I feel CO is a wonderful benefit for NS guests.  However, I don’t think I would purchase it separately if I were in a different room.  Because it is expensive.

Retreat area – We purchased two retreat cabanas for the trip. The family cabana is not big enough for four people and I did not want to break the rules and try to stuff four into a standard cabana.  It was hot up there but we had shade and a private hot tub which was really nice.  There were three stewards taking care of the guests all week.  Jeff, Gerald and Alwine.  Great guys, helpful and accommodating.  You can order lunch and drinks.  The area is open 9-5 each day.  This was my happy place for the week.

Ports – Truth be told we do a Caribbean cruise to relax not necessary to get off the ship.  However, we did do an excursion on HMC the ECO Bike and Kayak.  DS, DD and I were the only three on the excursion which took us around parts of the island – stables, stingray cove and to the Bone Fish Lagoon where we kayaked.  This was a fun way to spend the morning away from the crowds and to see parts of the island I had not seen before.  And there were crowds the Koningsdam was also in port that day.  I have never seen so many people on HMC in the four times I have been there.  We left early to go back to the ship. We don’t like the BBQ lunch so the Lido Deck was calling. 

Ocho Rios – Reynolds Pier - WHAT A DUMP.  Holland America should be embarrassed to dock at this pier. It looks like abandoned industrial pier.  It is a good half mile from the shopping area in the main cruise port and from fellow passengers told me who attempted to walk it, not an easy walk or pleasant.  You walk on the side of a busy road around construction while local children try to sell you trinkets.

My DS and DD did do a ship tour the Tranopy & Bobsled tour and enjoyed the experience.

Georgetown, Grand Cayman – Knowing there were seven ships in port that day so we arranged a private catamaran tour on Sail with Friends.  We took a taxi to the Cayman Island Yacht Club, easy and Alice from Sale with Friends called head for a taxi to meet us when we got back. It was a great day and a highlight of our trip.

Cozumel – We only got off the ship to have a drink at Margaretville.

Dining: We ate once in the main dining room which was a disappointment.  That night the menu was not that good.  We ate twice in the Pinnacle Grill which was delicious both times.  We each had something different each night and never had an issue with the quality of the food.  Lido Market was really good, we ate B/L there most days.  The Dive In is wonderful. The NYC deli sandwiches are good according to DH and DS.

Entertainment: we listed to the BB King band – good; the classical music group each night – very nice and the dueling piano players once – just okay IMO.  The in room movie selection is great and there is a different movie in the Lido pool area each night.

Disembarkation - Again easy we took the Holland America bus transfer tot he airport.

The ship is beautiful and the staff is amazing.  We had a wonderful time.  If anyone has any questions I will be happy to try to answer them.

Bon Voyage!

We will be on this ship and same itinerary april7, loved the review, so you remember any movies that were shown on the lido deck?

12 hours ago, gizmodog said:

We will be on this ship and same itinerary april7, loved the review, so you remember any movies that were shown on the lido deck?

While on the K'dam in Jan "19, we were really impressed with the new Rolling Stone Rock Room band.  We learned that after a break they would be moving on to the NS I think in March, so they should be on when you are sailing in April.  Be sure to check them out.  The female lead guitar and the drummer are especially talented.  Also be sure to check out the Grand Dutch Café.   Bon Voyage!

Agree with Ocho Rios. Waste of a port. I remember walking down that narrow street to find terrible shops and finally have a cold beer when we got to the bottom of the street. 

Thank you for the great review!  Looking forward to boarding in a few short weeks.  Ocho Rios is not great at all.  We always stay on the ship that day and spa it up.  I'm happy to hear that rooms are ready early.  Tempted to carry my own luggage on this time.

Posted (edited)

was on the same cruise.  Was a member of Club Orange and loved it.  Captain Noel O'Driscoll was really great as was his whole staff.. I did not like the Proenade deck on the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam.  Other than that the ship was fine

Edited by Himself

The movies I remeber were:

A Quiet Place

Mama Mia Here we go again

Will You Ever Forgive Me

The Meg

Skyscraper

Bohemian Rhapsody

rheybalis show these movies by the Lido Pool. 

I also forgot to mention my DH played Pickleball  four days during the cruise and had a blast. 

Thanks for your review!  We were on the Kongingsdam and on HMC with you.  Our DIL did the horseback riding excursion and enjoyed it.  The beach was crowded but not as bad as I thought it would be.  

Nice to to hear the staff are great on that ship too.  Thanks again for your review.

Oh, I am on the ship in 2 weeks and booked the family cabana for 4 (three adults and one 7 year old).  Your comment that it doesn't hold 4 people makes me nervous.

Technically it does. There are two lounge chairs and two regular chairs. 

Thr family retreat cabanas on this ship are very small compared to the Eurodam. 

Thanks for such an extensive review.  How did the Neptune Suite hold up against those on other HA ships?  Larger, smaller.  You mentioned the bathroom was TINY.  Does it have the double sinks, separate shower, and whirlpool tub?  Thanks.

The NS was wonderful and large see picture below. 

The tiny bathroom was in our add and DS room. 7134. I don’t have a picture of that. 

45147DAB-E1D8-41BF-B82B-1FCE00BC18D3.jpeg

Sorry typo. The tiny bathroom was in the cabin our kids had.