Cruise Critic Community
MaryNewton

What to do with hair on vacation?

Hello guys, I need good tips for taking care of my hair on vacation. Soon my husband and I are going to rest. And I think should I take my hair curlers or a hair dryer? I use only one hair curling iron and one hairdryer from http://greathaircurlers.com/best-curling-iron-long-hair/ as I trust them. I understand that the hotel can be cheap hair appliances. Therefore, I want to ask you whether I need to take my equipment?

I would take your own.  The ship will not have a curling iron, and my experiences with ship driers have been that they aren't very powerful.  They will be hot, but not much air.

I bring a small, but powerful travel hair dryer & a curling brush. I also bring a few hats (as my hair doesn’t always cooperate)

Not to pile on, but I have tried leaving my hair dryer at home but the cabin hairdryer is not very powerful and difficult for me to use.

No proble using the hair dryer provided ... but bring my own curling iron.  

I use the ship's hair dryer but my own curling iron and/or straightener.  No, the ship dryer is not the best, but I manage because I don't want to drag mine along.

I let my hair have a vacation, too!  Let it breathe from all the lotions/potions/hair-destroying heat. etc.  If I have to, I can just put it in a simple ponytail with a nice hair band.  My hair always feels so much better with I get home.

14 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I let my hair have a vacation, too!  Let it breathe from all the lotions/potions/hair-destroying heat. etc.  If I have to, I can just put it in a simple ponytail with a nice hair band.  My hair always feels so much better with I get home.

Ditto, most of the time i just scrunch it up in a clip and go for the dishevelled Goldie Hawn look:classic_biggrin:

For a hotel stay vacation, I always bring my own hair dryer.  The ones on HAL ships are good, so I do not  bring mine from home, when cruising.

I bought a full size but very light hair dryer that has a cooling button which I prefer. Most ship and hotels do not have the cooling button and they are not powerful enough for my hair. On windy  or days I do not want to mess with it I put it up in a clip.

I'm on vacation, so I don't do much with my hair. Air dry after washing. I do bring my straightener with, but only use it a couple of times. Mostly I just put it in a ponytail, because it is often windy on the ship.

On 3/5/2019 at 5:16 AM, MaryNewton said:

I understand that the hotel can be cheap hair appliances. Therefore, I want to ask you whether I need to take my equipment?

No one can really answer this for you; it depends on what you want out of your vacation.

For some, they feel they must be able to do their hair every day exactly like they do at home.  If that's you, you likely won't be happy with the provided hair dryer, and as no other hair appliances are ever provided, you'll need to bring your curling iron etc.

Others take a more relaxed approach during vacation and aren't picky about their hair during that time.  If that's you, you can make do with the provided hair dryers, take a break from always curling it, wear it in a ponytail etc. and not take any of your own things.

I had a bad experience with an under-powered yet super damaging (hot) blow dryer on our 1st cruise. I called it the "Fisher Price Singe and Frizz".

I am taking my one step hair dryer/volumizer (acts like a round brush with an attached blow dryer) this time, and possibly a curling iron for touch ups.

Also, I am adding a more moisturizing travel size shampoo & conditioner since the sea air / water onboard tends to dry my hair out more.

Revlon hair volumizer.PNG

1 hour ago, Florida Glamazon said:

I had a bad experience with an under-powered yet super damaging (hot) blow dryer on our 1st cruise. I called it the "Fisher Price Singe and Frizz".

I am taking my one step hair dryer/volumizer (acts like a round brush with an attached blow dryer) this time, and possibly a curling iron for touch ups.

Also, I am adding a more moisturizing travel size shampoo & conditioner since the sea air / water onboard tends to dry my hair out more.

Sea air and salt water will do that to hair...  The only "extra" I do on a cruise or a beach vacation is to do a leave-in conditioner and maybe add a hair mask when I'm lazing around the cabin/room.  Otherwise, my curly hair is free to do what it wants to do!

I have short, straight hair. I wrap my head in a towel after I shower and leave it on while I do my makeup, then blow dry it. I do the same thing on a cruise and the ship's hair dryers have worked just fine for me. I like not having to pack it.

My vacation hair is something akin to when Monica went to Jamaica on Friends. I just decant a few products that will allow me to air dry somewhat reasonably, and my hair is just long enough for a ponytail or small bun. I find trying to fight it with hot tools to be a waste of time and energy in humid climates, however if you do need to heat style, I would recommend you bring your own tools. I never find the dryers powerful enough and it just takes twice as long. 

7 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

I have short, straight hair. I wrap my head in a towel after I shower and leave it on while I do my makeup, then blow dry it. I do the same thing on a cruise and the ship's hair dryers have worked just fine for me. I like not having to pack it.

Unfortunately, I have longer hair that has a mind of it's own & would look all frizzy (think Roseanne RoseannaDanna) if I tried to do this. But I am fond of using one of the turban towels for my wet hair while I get dressed/do my makeup.

I bring what I need to look good.  During the day, my  hair is usually up and out of the way.  I wash, dry (own dryer) and curl it (electric curlers) for the evening.

On 4/8/2019 at 9:14 PM, Florida Glamazon said:

I bought this last week - wow!  finally something to tame my thick, wavy, frizz prone hair.  I am thinking of maybe packing it for our cruise in 2 weeks, but  I know I will most likely just go with the wave

2 hours ago, brucelegs said:

I bought this last week - wow!  finally something to tame my thick, wavy, frizz prone hair.  I am thinking of maybe packing it for our cruise in 2 weeks, but  I know I will most likely just go with the wave

I like how quickly I can style & dry my hair before work with this. it helps to mix in bit of a little argan oil with my gel. That seems to seal in more shine and reduce drying time, too.

I carry on. Mini flat iron, 100, travel sized detangling conditioner, a very good mini brush & no tears ponytail bands. The bare essentials - enough equip & product to look decent, not the best, but not scary 🤡.

I do as much as I can before my cruise:  good haircut, good treatment.  Then on board I just accept that things will be different. I take my own shampoo, but that's it.  Ponytail during the day due to wind; often at night as well.  Ship hairdryer works well enough.

On 4/8/2019 at 8:14 PM, Florida Glamazon said:

I LOVE this tool!

Had seen a version on FB, then got a positive endorsement from a friend.  I researched on Amazon and ended up buying the Revlon version.  PROS: it helps me manage my has-a-mind-mind-of-it’s- own wavy frizzprone hair very well, even on non-shampoo days.  Cons: it’s a bit weighty (I have to use both hands to hold it) and loud.

I haven’t had it very long, but I think I will be taking it on my next cruise in July.  But I am fortunate to be able to drive to my home port.  Not sure I would be willing to lug it on on airplane trip.

The Viking Ocean cruise director I booked with told me I cannot bring my curling iron  similar appliances(and I immediately went into panic mode)..So my question is- do they not check your bags for an iron?