Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
l8cruiser

Anyone regret purchasing the Cheers program

Recommended Posts

Question to the group.........

 

With the Cheers program, can we buy drinks for other people and put them on our sign and sail card separately and not on our Cheers account? 

 

We understand the Cheers program has limits of 15 drinks per person per day. If not on the Cheers program are we still limited to 15 drinks per day per person or is it then unlimited? Example, buying a round of drinks for our friends......

 

Thanks for any insight you can provide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s pretty easy math for “Us” a couple of specialty coffees each “spiked” ? A couple of Margaritas type drinks at pool, probably a trip or two to the brewery “hoping the micro brewery is as good as it looks” bottled water to keep hydrated, a stop at Alchemy, wine with dinner, rehydrate, or energy drink for shows... a couple of drinks at casino. 

6-8 drinks per day, for the two of us it works... remember don’t judge. Safe travels everyone, and Happy New Year. 63 more sleeps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HockeyMom24 said:

Question to the group.........

 

With the Cheers program, can we buy drinks for other people and put them on our sign and sail card separately and not on our Cheers account? 

 

We understand the Cheers program has limits of 15 drinks per person per day. If not on the Cheers program are we still limited to 15 drinks per day per person or is it then unlimited? Example, buying a round of drinks for our friends......

 

Thanks for any insight you can provide. 

 

 

Cheers can not be shared at all. So you can not buy someone a drink on your Cheers. We have had bartenders allow us to buy a drink for someone at the bar with my S&S card. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Have to call BS on using port days as a crutch to not drinking your 6 per day.  On a port day if you are back on board by 430, and if you have a drink every 90 minutes, then you have drink number 6 in your hand at midnight.  Easily doable and if you drink at the Alchemy Bar, then you need less than 5 per day to break even and then all the non alcoholic  stuff is gravy.

 

 

I completely agree, a port day does not affect our Cheers. Heck we could have 3 before we get off the ship. You can also grab a beer and a water to take ashore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HockeyMom24 said:

With the Cheers program, can we buy drinks for other people and put them on our sign and sail card separately and not on our Cheers account?

 

Yes, you can, as mentioned on Carnival's website:

 

"Guests may purchase a round of drinks for themselves and friends. One drink will count towards the CHEERS! program and the remaining drinks will be charged to a guest’s Sail and Sign® account."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought it again in October after my cabin mates talked me into it, and regretted it again. There is so much more to vacation than liquids, let alone spending huge amounts and trying to "break even". It's a smart marketing technique that most people won't admit they fall victim to.

 

On a side note, I had a lot to drink last night. I do not want anything to drink today. That has happened to me multiple times on cruises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2019 at 9:24 PM, SNJCruisers said:

If you can't  drink because of a medical condition and your wife is a waif and you go to bed before midnight  on vacation,  then why on Earth are you posting on an alcoholic thread.. 

If you started with...Cheers is not for us because of a medical condition I have and my wife is a light drinker, then that is acceptable.   Just don't  use the port  excuse as a reason to not buy the program.  There are many who can drink 2  alcoholic drinks per day and after supplementing with many variations of non alcoholic  consumption, they still reach their numbers.  Happy cruising without Cheers.

I never said I don't drink; I said one drink every 90 minutes would probably kill me. Reading comprehension is a thing and there's a big difference between the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, HockeyMom24 said:

Question to the group.........

 

With the Cheers program, can we buy drinks for other people and put them on our sign and sail card separately and not on our Cheers account? 

 

Yes you can. Carnival specifically states this on their website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2019 at 4:07 PM, grandmarnnurse said:

There is no way most people would drink as much as the package costs. Cheaper to buy outright. 

 

You're kidding, right?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2019 at 4:47 AM, SNJCruisers said:

Have to call BS on using port days as a crutch to not drinking your 6 per day.  On a port day if you are back on board by 430, and if you have a drink every 90 minutes, then you have drink number 6 in your hand at midnight.  Easily doable and if you drink at the Alchemy Bar, then you need less than 5 per day to break even and then all the non alcoholic  stuff is gravy.

Rather an odd response..' using Port days as a crutch to NOT  drink the maximum you can ' 

Tbh I am amazed at how the moderate drinkers  on here are attacked because they choose not to take advantage  of the cheers package

 

We have been on a couple of Marella cruises , these cruises are all inclusive  and surprisingly  to me I found we didn't  drink much at all 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ParrotRob said:

 

You're kidding, right?

 

Actually, no. I really don’t know anyone that can drink 15 alcoholic drinks in one day, and still remember anything! If you can, more power to you. But I think most people buy it because they don’t want to worry about their final bill growing. But we found that we would never even break even, and that would be with other non alcoholic beverages purchased as well. And since my hubby only drinks beer, it is much cheaper for us to buy as we go along. Now, I’m not saying it won’t be a good value to those that purchase a lot of specialty coffees, milkshakes, sodas, etc. along with their alcoholic beverages. I’m saying I find it hard to believe anyone can drink 15 alcoholic drinks in a day. And since usually one of the partners in a cabin may drink considerably less than the other, but both have to purchase the plan, it just may not be worth it to most people. To those, yes, they may regret purchasing the plan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Actually, no. I really don’t know anyone that can drink 15 alcoholic drinks in one day, and still remember anything! If you can, more power to you. But I think most people buy it because they don’t want to worry about their final bill growing. But we found that we would never even break even, and that would be with other non alcoholic beverages purchased as well. And since my hubby only drinks beer, it is much cheaper for us to buy as we go along. Now, I’m not saying it won’t be a good value to those that purchase a lot of specialty coffees, milkshakes, sodas, etc. along with their alcoholic beverages. I’m saying I find it hard to believe anyone can drink 15 alcoholic drinks in a day. And since usually one of the partners in a cabin may drink considerably less than the other, but both have to purchase the plan, it just may not be worth it to most people. To those, yes, they may regret purchasing the plan. 

You only need to drink about 6 drinks per day to get what you paid out of the drink package, not 15.  6-7 isn't that difficult. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Actually, no. I really don’t know anyone that can drink 15 alcoholic drinks in one day, and still remember anything! If you can, more power to you. But I think most people buy it because they don’t want to worry about their final bill growing. But we found that we would never even break even, and that would be with other non alcoholic beverages purchased as well. And since my hubby only drinks beer, it is much cheaper for us to buy as we go along. Now, I’m not saying it won’t be a good value to those that purchase a lot of specialty coffees, milkshakes, sodas, etc. along with their alcoholic beverages. I’m saying I find it hard to believe anyone can drink 15 alcoholic drinks in a day. And since usually one of the partners in a cabin may drink considerably less than the other, but both have to purchase the plan, it just may not be worth it to most people. To those, yes, they may regret purchasing the plan. 

 

You didn't say you don't know anyone that can drink 15 a day.  If that's what you had said, I wouldn't have replied "you're kidding, right?".  Your EXACT WORDS were "There is no way most people would drink as much as the package costs.'"  The package costs $51.95 a day, which is nowhere even CLOSE to 15 drinks a day.

 

Edited by ParrotRob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CHEERS break even:
4 drinks if $13.00 each
5 drinks if $10.40 each
6 drinks if $ 8.65 each

 

I could easily drink a Mocha coffee and 4 bottles of water ($8.75) each day.  That leaves $43.20 left of the $51.95 package price. 4 drinks at the Alchemy Bar @ 10.95 each takes care of the rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll let you know if it is a mistake after our cruise in February. We are celebrating getting through chemo all spring and summer. I just don't see having an issue getting enough frozen drinks in a day to pay for it. Between milk shakes, water, coffee and frozen cocktails I think we will make good use of it. 

 

PB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

CHEERS break even:
4 drinks if $13.00 each
5 drinks if $10.40 each
6 drinks if $ 8.65 each

 

I could easily drink a Mocha coffee and 4 bottles of water ($8.75) each day.  That leaves $43.20 left of the $51.95 package price. 4 drinks at the Alchemy Bar @ 10.95 each takes care of the rest.

 

Exactly.  Anyone who says they "don't know anyone who can drink as much as the package costs" is out of their mind crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Bought it again in October after my cabin mates talked me into it, and regretted it again. There is so much more to vacation than liquids, let alone spending huge amounts and trying to "break even". It's a smart marketing technique that most people won't admit they fall victim to.

 

 

 

There is no secret scheme to make anyone a victim. you buy it or you don't. We never think about"breaking even" , I don't count but if I spent $48 I wouldn't lose any sleep. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No regrets here.  Wife and I love the Cheers Program!  It's more of a peace of mind to us because we not only use it for the alcohol but for waters and soft drinks as well and don't have to think about how much we spent.   I know I make my 5 drink minimum on port days and then some on most days.  Wife doesn't drink as much and will sometimes use some of her drink purchases to give to family/friends on cruise that may want a drink.  Yes, you can share if you're willing to wait the 5 mins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SERK said:

No regrets here.  Wife and I love the Cheers Program!  It's more of a peace of mind to us because we not only use it for the alcohol but for waters and soft drinks as well and don't have to think about how much we spent.   I know I make my 5 drink minimum on port days and then some on most days.  Wife doesn't drink as much and will sometimes use some of her drink purchases to give to family/friends on cruise that may want a drink.  Yes, you can share if you're willing to wait the 5 mins. 

 

By "you can share", you really mean "you can get away with sharing despite it being expressly forbidden if you're sneaky enough", right?

Edited by ParrotRob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ParrotRob said:

 

By "you can share", you really mean "you can get away with sharing despite it being expressly forbidden if you're sneaky enough", right?

I have read that if caught sharing, they can take away your drink package. Not sure how true that is. Anyone know for sure? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I have read that if caught sharing, they can take away your drink package. Not sure how true that is. Anyone know for sure? 

 

It's one of those things were yes they can absolutely do so. Not that everyone who notices, cares enough though. Still, risky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JandPB said:

I'll let you know if it is a mistake after our cruise in February. We are celebrating getting through chemo all spring and summer. I just don't see having an issue getting enough frozen drinks in a day to pay for it. Between milk shakes, water, coffee and frozen cocktails I think we will make good use of it. 

 

PB

Congratulations on getting through chemo! Have a great cruise!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I admit to not having been around long enough yet, but I never grow old of these "is Cheers worth it?" threads even if it is the same responses over and over. 

 

Most of the fruity mixed and frozen drinks range from $9.50 - $10.95 before gratuity and on my last cruise was easily dropping $12-13 with tip for each drink. It would not take many of those to cover the cost of cheers and easily doable throughout the day. I had Drinks on Us in the casino by chance and probably easily had 6-7 drinks in there without being close to drunk. I don't think most of those fruity and frozen drinks have enough alcohol to do a whole lot of damage unless you're chugging them 5 minutes apart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ParrotRob said:

 

Exactly.  Anyone who says they "don't know anyone who can drink as much as the package costs" is out of their mind crazy.

 

It sounds easy when you break it down to the smallest unit of one day. That is exactly what the marketing wants you to do. Don't forget to multiply that amount by 2 people, then multiply it again for 4-14+ days. How often does one person in the couple not drink very much? Then we create a bunch of drinking schedules, that few people do in their normal life, and few actually keep on top of vacation. Is it so hard to accept that most couples will not drink $860 of liquids in a week, and if they did, they forced themselves to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...