Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
RMLLEL

Casa Mila and Free Walking Tour of Gothic Quarter in same day

We are arriving in Barcelona at about 9:10 am from the U.S..  Should get to our hotel by 11:00.  I was wondering if it would be too much on our first day in Barcelona to go to Casa Mila and do a tour there and then go on the Runner Bean Free Walking Tour of the Gothic Quarter at 4:30.  It is a 2 1/2 hour tour.  Everyone says to walk around the first day to get yourself used to the time difference.  What is everyone's experience the first day?  Are you very jetlagged?

Thank you.

How people suffer from jet lag and how they deal with it, varies greatly from person to person.  And perhaps age is a factor.  Or how long your flight is or if you sleep on a plane. 

I used to be able to fly 8-9 hrs to London, hit the ground running at noon, then collapse at 10pm the first night.  That seemed to put me on my usual sleep pattern , which helps me deal with the time adjustment.

But the past few yrs I've done better if I nap for an hr immediately after checking into my hotel. That nap allows me to keep going until 10 or 11pm .  Keeping my usual  sleep pattern is very important.  Nothing worse than being wide awake every morning at 3am because your body is out of sync.

Since you don;t know how you'll feel, why not make the Runner Bean reservation, but if you don't feel up to it upon checking into your hotel, call and cancel it.  No point in wandering around in a trance and being grumpy !

We usually find that the adrenaline is pumping that first day and we can do things and then "crash".  As the previous poster says we keep going until 10 or 11 pm.  On our last trip we went from the airport to hotel and then Parc Guell.  After that we went to the Magic Fountain.

On 3/5/2019 at 11:02 AM, RMLLEL said:

We are arriving in Barcelona at about 9:10 am from the U.S..  Should get to our hotel by 11:00.  I was wondering if it would be too much on our first day in Barcelona to go to Casa Mila and do a tour there and then go on the Runner Bean Free Walking Tour of the Gothic Quarter at 4:30.  It is a 2 1/2 hour tour.  Everyone says to walk around the first day to get yourself used to the time difference.  What is everyone's experience the first day?  Are you very jetlagged?

Thank you.

You will probably not be very jet lagged when you first arrive.  It will hit you later on in the day.  Do plan your visit to Casa Mila and reserve the Runner Bean tour.  As mapleleaves said, you can cancel the tour if you are too tired.  If you make it, you will accomplish your plan of as much daylight as possible when you arrive to get over jetlag.  There will be a large number of people in the walking tour, so feel free to drop out half way if you are too tired.  But do try to stay up late, it really helps. 

If you have several days in BCN you can spread out your excursions to get more rest at the beginning.  If not, you have a plan.

Here are the visits to casa Mila:

http://www.lapedrera.com/en/visits

Edited by marazul

Thank you so much.  I am going to get tickets for Casa Mila and also for Runner Bean and hopefully we will be fine.  Like you said we can always cancel Runner Bean or leave if we are too tired.