Cruise Critic Community
villagenut

Rain in the forecast

Extended forecast for spring break cruise shows rain in Galveston, thunderstorms in Cozumel, and rain in Belize.  Have you every had a cruise where it rained most of the time.  How did it go?  Did it really ruin the whole cruse?  Were you able to make the best of it?  Just wondering how you dealt with it.  Hopefully the outlook will change but if not, looking for your previous experiences.

Thanks

Years back when it rained on a cruise you could request a free rain poncho just by asking at guest services.

Now days you have to pay for that.  We still have our free ones that are actually are in fair shape today.

Find yourself a poncho and be sure to keep it with you on your shore excursions.  Tropical weather is a sure thing , you just never know she will rain on your parade 😉   

Bring a poncho, but remember extended forecasts are usually wrong and rain in Caribbean this time of year is usually an afternoon shower or two.

39 minutes ago, villagenut said:

Extended forecast for spring break cruise shows rain in Galveston, thunderstorms in Cozumel, and rain in Belize.  Have you every had a cruise where it rained most of the time.  How did it go?  Did it really ruin the whole cruse?  Were you able to make the best of it?  Just wondering how you dealt with it.  Hopefully the outlook will change but if not, looking for your previous experiences.

Thanks

It pretty much rains at some point every day, but normally it is not a wash out, just some showers here or there down in the Caribbean.

rarely are Caribbean forecasts accurate, because it will show rain 20% of the time, might be a sprinkle. As us divers say, it doesn't rain under water. Believe it or not a little rain will NOT cancel shore excursions.

Two years ago when we cruised, the forecast was for rain all seven days.  It did rain here and there but never lasted long and never interfered with any of our port outings.  We didn't pack any rain gear because we have limited suitcase space and we just made the best of it.  This year when we cruised I didn't even look at the forecast.  If it does rain, there will be plenty of inside activities to keep you busy!

13 minutes ago, nascarcruiser said:

You can get rain poncho's at Walmart that are folded up in a small square for like $5 eat.

The Dollar Store has them for $1 small lightweight and easily packable

262699.jpg&height=940&width=940

2 hours ago, villagenut said:

Thanks

Rain is only water.  It doesn't affect the experience.  Bring a rain poncho, and enjoy

Rarely have I encountered a rain event in the Caribbean that last more than a few minutes

We did a jeep excursion in Cozumel. The jeep had a fabric top that was worn out. We got so soaked, we had a blast. It was the best fun we had on an excursion. We are planing to do it again and hope it rains. 

We did a 3 day cruise on Victory last Memorial Day weekend and it literally rained from late Friday afternoon until the end of the cruise.  We still had a great time, but we never went outside on the ship and we didn’t leave the ship when we were in Nassau. It was strange spending two straight days inside the ship the entire time. 

I think it depends what you like to do on a cruise. If you plan to lay by the pool on sea days and on the beach on port days, a little proactive thinking/researching a plan B can’t hurt. 

4 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

The Dollar Store has them for $1 small lightweight and easily packable

262699.jpg&height=940&width=940

Good to know.  I happened to grab the ones at Wal Mart when we were getting ready for a camp trip.

Posted (edited)

On our last cruise rain almost everyday- it ruined the sunrise and sunset. In Cozumel it rain really hard in the morning but we still took a open jeep tour in the rain.  We bought the Carnival ponchos at the gangway- one survived the other blew apart on the jeep ride. 

We still had a great cruise- rain and bad weather can happen anywhere- we once had to drive through a March blizzard going to Disney World. 

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

Maybe its just weird to me because I live in Florida, but do all of you poncho people not own rain jackets?

I live in Louisiana and know what you, hotsauce126, mean. We have crazy weather and everyone I know owns rain coat and rubber boots. But a poncho fits small in luggage.  I have family in Florida and weather is just as crazy there too

16 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

Maybe its just weird to me because I live in Florida, but do all of you poncho people not own rain jackets?

When my son took a mission trip to Guatemala last summer I asked the leader if she recommended jackets or ponchos and she strongly recommended a poncho.  It didn't take much space plus it was lighter and probably cooler (they went in August).

16 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

I don't own a rain jacket, but I also don't take a poncho either. If it rains, I just get wet.

I have never experienced rain all day on a cruise. It does tend to rain here and there, but it's usually not a torrential downpour. I don't even get out of the ocean when it starts to rain, unless there is lightning nearby. 

3 hours ago, h_blond2 said:

I have never experienced rain all day on a cruise. It does tend to rain here and there, but it's usually not a torrential downpour. I don't even get out of the ocean when it starts to rain, unless there is lightning nearby. 

Yeah it is funny to me to watch most everyone run out of pool/ocean when starts raing with no lightening. I guess they are afraid of getting wet :classic_unsure: