Cruise Critic Community
Stickman1990

A Culinary Journey Video with Celebrity Chef Jon Ashton

Crystal have just posted a teaser on celebrity chef Jon Ashton’s Culinary Journey from Los Angeles on Crystal Serenity 

Edited by Stickman1990

I am a true taco snob.   I spend a good chunk of time deep in Mexico each year.  I have no issues with this taco culinary thing.  Fine, but what make a great taco is a super fresh handmade tortilla.  How is he going to do that?   IF they use premade factory tortillas?  I will pass.

I am a true taco snob.   I spend a good chunk of time deep in Mexico each year.  I have no issues with this taco culinary thing.  Fine, but what make a great taco is a super fresh handmade tortilla.  How is he going to do that?   IF they use premade factory tortillas?  I will pass.

If you watch the video to the end he shows the presentation. It is a deconstructed taco. Not a taco at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, quepaquete said:

If you watch the video to the end he shows the presentation. It is a deconstructed taco. Not a taco at all.

Thanks I missed that feature.  So the question I have is when does a taco cease to be a taco?

Thanks I missed that feature.  So the question I have is when does a taco cease to be a taco?

Well, you called yourself a “taco snob”, so you should know the answer or have an opinion about that. For me is simple, if there is no tortilla involved then I’m not a taco.
You mentioned that you travel extensively in Mexico, so you know there are many, many types and flavors of tacos. But the common denominator is the tortilla. To me if there is no tortilla involved then is not a taco.

Jorge

I completely agree with you quepaquete.  It is about the lovely hand made tortilla fresh and hot.  I would love to see Crystal provide freshly made hot handmade tortillas from time to time.

Edited by ijkh

We enjoyed this item on-board Serenity on January 19 as we sailed to Hawaii.

Before having it I didn't know what was meant by its name.

I am not a Taco expert but this is what we learned at the time.

It is a Deconstructed Hamachi Taco.    This meant that the Taco was not one whole piece.  It had a soft shell, and the fish was not cooked.   

A photo before I ate it.

img-9170.jpg.f401d1f1e56f80afa6934bae74511a9c.jpg

It was delicious.

Keith

Keith was there a tortilla with it?  Soft shell you say?   I am still confused.  Not an expert just eat my fair share is all.  I would love it if Crystal would make scratch corn tortillas.

Hamachi?  For certain not a Taco.  Los Angeleeez  as the announcer said can show you a good taco. Of course we have Tito's Tacos and King Taco.  Ask for a Hamachi Taco at either place and you will get The Look!

It was not a taco or tortilla but had ingredients that you would have in a taco and tortilla.

I guess just think that soft shell was no shell.  Just ingredients which were soft.

Very creative and as I mentioned very tasty.

In a few nights Waterside will feature another of Jon's creations the night we are in Durban.

Keith

You've got to love 'celebrity' chefs and their creative culinary minds.  No wonder he left his native Liverpool for California - they wouldn't know what a taco or tortilla was there, regardless of whether it was deconstructed or put together!!!!:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Anne...

Anne you have it right.  He is incredibly creative.  In fact, during his cooking demo yesterday when he was talking about what we could add to the strawberry jam he encouraged creativity.

On a related note when he spoke about making dough we hadn't realized that the longer you let the yeast do its magic it has more time to breakdown the sugar.  He mentioned that in Italy that often the pizza dough sits overnight and  with more time to break down the sugar one doesn't get that full feeling when eating pizza that they might get with mass produced dough or often what we find in the States with some exceptions such as some of the pizza we have had in selected places such as New York City.

Jon now resides in Chicago with his lovely wife.  A bit cold for me but his charming personality and positive outlook likely brings warmth to everyone he meets.
There is something special about people from Liverpool  which I have come to appreciate at a younger age starting in 1964.

Keith

6 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Hamachi?  For certain not a Taco.  Los Angeleeez  as the announcer said can show you a good taco. Of course we have Tito's Tacos and King Taco.  Ask for a Hamachi Taco at either place and you will get The Look!

Oh, Kathy! I had forgotten about Tito's Tacos!  It’s been 20 years since we were last there. I was still eating meat, so it would be a different experience now.  Ilene, check them out the next time you are in Los  Angeles.

Ricki

Before having it I didn't know what was meant by its name.

I am not a Taco expert but this is what we learned at the time.

It is a Deconstructed Hamachi Taco.    This meant that the Taco was not one whole piece.  It had a soft shell, and the fish was not cooked.   

It was delicious.

Keith

I’m not a taco snob, I eat tacos anywhere. -from high end restaurants to street vendors in downtown LA or street vendors in Oaxaca. Actually, I have tacos for breakfast every day at home. I eat mostly vegetarian, sauté spinach, kale, or chard with mushroom and onions, and home made salsa of course.

Watching the video made want to try them. Too bad our next Crystal cruise is towards the second part of the year. Have to wait that long to try the deconstructed tacos

Jorge

According to Chefs, deconstructed Tacos are not real Tacos.  They should be served in hard shell or soft shell tortillas and not with raw fish.  Yes, Mexican restaurants have Mahi Mahi tacos but they are grilled or blackened not raw.  We have an authentic Mexican well known restaurant that we go to and high end and they truly produce the real product.  Too many chefs who are not from the culture try and reinvent the wheel.

Good grief, I NEVER thought the topic of what is or is not a taco would be beaten to death on a cruising board!!!😱🙄😏

Patty

Patty, that was funny.  As a graduate of TCU in Fort Worth I know what a real Taco is supposed to be.  Texas has the best but not deconstructed.  In fact the metroplex has fantastic dining venues.  Not sure where you live.  We do remember meeting you along with other friends that live close to us.  Anyway happy St. Patrick’s Day.

Patty, you are right.

Honestly, I could care less what "chefs" call this item or what those experts say. 

What I can say is two things:

This deconstructed taco (or whatever one wanted to call it but I'll call it that since that is what Chef Jon Ashton called it) was absolutely delicious.  If I hadn't been told that it was his Celebrity dish I might not have ordered it and am so glad that I did. 

The video was terrific with several more coming.

It might be just nice to enjoy the videos and the name of the dishes and not worry about what the so called expert chefs say.

For these I defer to whatever names Jon Ashton cares to call them.

Keith

That photo doesn't represent a taco in any way, shape or form.  And to suggest California has no decent tacos, California being the state that borders Mexico and has a vigorous Mexican population within the state, is a really ridiculous and dare I say ignorant statement.

Signed, Cindy-who knows what a taco is and that ain't it

Good grief, I NEVER thought the topic of what is or is not a taco would be beaten to death on a cruising board!!!

Patty

When you mess up cultural heritage, there is going to be controversy. Mexican Cuisine is part of UNESCO world heritage, and tacos are integral part of the Mexican Cuisine.

If this person is trying to present something without regards or respect for that culture he only shows his ignorance or lack of respect.

If the chef presented the exact same dish but call it a “deconstructed burger” I’m sure many people would object to that. Is not what is inside what makes the burger, is the buns and presentation. I have had veggie/salmon/tuna burgers.

Before you build a house you have piles of building materials, you don’t call that a house. If you take a house apart (deconstruct) is not a house anymore, is a pile of rubbish. I’m not saying this dish is rubbish because I’m sure is very tasty, but is not a taco anymore.

Best to you all

Jorge

20 minutes ago, quepaquete said:

When you mess up cultural heritage, there is going to be controversy. Mexican Cuisine is part of UNESCO world heritage, and tacos are integral part of the Mexican Cuisine.

If this person is trying to present something without regards or respect for that culture he only shows his ignorance or lack of respect.

If the chef presented the exact same dish but call it a “deconstructed burger” I’m sure many people would object to that. Is not what is inside what makes the burger, is the buns and presentation. I have had veggie/salmon/tuna burgers.

Before you build a house you have piles of building materials, you don’t call that a house. If you take a house apart (deconstruct) is not a house anymore, is a pile of rubbish. I’m not saying this dish is rubbish because I’m sure is very tasty, but is not a taco anymore.

Best to you all

Jorge

Which Mexican food is considered "world heritage"? Mexico is a large country and the food varies by region, just as it does in the US. Have a friend who works in Mexico. She went to the Yucatan area with a group from Monterrey. All they did was complain about the food as it wasn't anything like what they had eaten all their lives. So, one is heritage and the other isn't? That's like telling a Texan that barbeque is pork. I don't think so, but someone in Georgia thinks it is. As I said, I can't imagine someone would be offended with whatever the artist (the chef) wants to call his creation.

Patty

Good grief, I NEVER thought the topic of what is or is not a taco would be beaten to death on a cruising board!!!

Patty

Best to you all

Jorge

2 hours ago, quepaquete said:

Best to you all

Jorge

Gracias, I totally agree.