Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
seaside princess

A Few Questions From Someone who has never Sailed On Carnival Lines...

Recommended Posts

Hello To All Carnival Cruisers!

 

Sailing on the Magic next year and need your input. I am hopeful you can answer the following and thank you in advance .

 

1. If I purchase the drink package, will I still be able to purchase a a good bottle of wine at dinner? Does Carnival some how count a bottle towards your 15 drink limit per day?

 

2. If I select fixed dining, will I be able to have a table for two....thinking second seating.

 

3. Where do I locate Faster to the Fun option and how many months before my sail date will it be posted ?

 

4. What are the lunch options when I board besides the buffet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course you can buy a bottle of wine, but it would be in addition to your drink package, although I do believe that you get a discount on that bottle.  review your drink package guidelines, it will tell you.  as far as getting a table for two, you will need to see the Matre de(spelling) when you arrive on the ship and see if they can accommodate you.  Unsure of the FTTF, so Ill let someone else answer that one.  Lunch options are plentiful onboard the Magic.  Guys, Blue Iguana, if the tandoori is still there, that one, and also Cucino, the Italian place that charges for dinner is free at lunch!! Pizza etc. Trust me you will have numerous options!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FTTF is under shore excursions for the first port. FTTF just became available for my November cruise a few weeks ago.

 

You'll have a fantastic cruise! ENJOY!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, seaside princess said:

1. If I purchase the drink package, will I still be able to purchase a a good bottle of wine at dinner? Does Carnival some how count a bottle towards your 15 drink limit per day?  Yes, you can purchase a bottle of wine at a 25% discount if you have Cheers.  This does not count toward your 15 drink limit.

 

2. If I select fixed dining, will I be able to have a table for two....thinking second seating.  You can have a table for 2; however, you might not be assigned a table for 2 when you board.  You can go to the dining room and review your seating.  If you are not happy with it, visit the maitre d' during the posted hours after you board and request a change.

 

3. Where do I locate Faster to the Fun option and how many months before my sail date will it be posted ? FTTF is listed as an excursion under the home port.  They are typically opened around 9-12 months out, but that can vary.

 

4. What are the lunch options when I board besides the buffet?  It depends on which ship you are on.  Pretty much everything is open for lunch except the MDR.  Guys Burgers, Deli, pizza, etc. are not buffet, but also located on or near the Lido deck.

See answers in red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

At the risk of starting an argument...

 

If you are on Facebook "follow" John Heald's page.  If you send him a request close to your sail date he may be able to get you assigned to a table for 2 ahead of time.  2 Tops are in high demand, having FTTF can help, as you will be "in line" for one ahead of those that don't, but Platinums, Diamonds and I THINK suite guests will be "in line" ahead of you.

Edited by K&RCurt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you schedule dinner at steakhouse on first night you get a bottle of wine with dinner, but you can pick another wine for 50% off and it doesn't count against your cheers.  

Edited by JaniceB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to the buffet for first day lunch, the following places are open:

 

1) Mongolian Wok - stir-fry

2) Guy's Burgers

3) Blue Iguana Cantina - tacos, burritos

4) Deli

5) Captain's Pasta - located in the Italian restaurant

6) Seafood Shack - (extra cost)

7) Pizzeria

 

All are located on the Lido deck, with the exception of the Captain's Pasta which is one deck above.  My recommendation on the first day would be the Pasta Bar (you fill out a form with your choices of noddles, sauce, and add-ins in addition to Caesar Salad and bread and then they will either deliver your food to you or give you a pager to pick up). This location is typically not crowded on Day 1 but will get more and more so as people discover it throughout the week.

 

Note that on Embarkation Day and other port days, the MDR will not be open for lunch.  On Sea Days, the MDR will be open for Seaday Brunch.  Also, Guy's Pig and Anchor BBQ outside on Deck 5 will be open on Sea Days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing to note regarding wine: Every person booked in your cabin who is over 21 years old can carry on one bottle of wine at embarkation. Hubby and I always bring two bottles between us. Bring a corkscrew as well to open the bottles in your cabin. Your room steward can provide a bucket of ice to chill the wine if needed and provide some wine glasses if requested. Then you can just carry glasses with you to dinner. If you bring your bottle to dinner with you and have the wait staff open it, they will charge a corkage fee (not sure of the exact amount - maybe $10-15 per bottle). Also, bar service in the dining room can be hit or miss and very slow. So I always bring a beverage with me to drink either from our room or a nearby bar before entering the dining room. Bringing on your own wine is a great way to ensure you get something you really like and it's usually quite a bit cheaper than buying a similar wine onboard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, jcearth said:

Note that on Embarkation Day and other port days, the MDR will not be open for lunch.  On Sea Days, the MDR will be open for Seaday Brunch.  Also, Guy's Pig and Anchor BBQ outside on Deck 5 will be open on Sea Days.

I am pretty sure that Guy's Pig and Anchor BBQ is also open on embarkation day on the Magic. I think it possibly depends on what port they are leaving from based on past posts on the forum. At least it's open sometimes. Here is one of the threads that talk about it being open.

Edited by five.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, K&RCurt said:

At the risk of starting an argument...

 

If you are on Facebook "follow" John Heald's page.  If you send him a request close to your sail date he may be able to get you assigned to a table for 2 ahead of time.  2 Tops are in high demand, having FTTF can help, as you will be "in line" for one ahead of those that don't, but Platinums, Diamonds and I THINK suite guests will be "in line" ahead of you.

 

Magic has a lot of two tops in their MDRs. Unfortunately, a lot of them are literally located a few feet from each other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had success calling Carnival and requesting table arrangements. On our Anniversary, I made the note that is was our Anniversary and requested table for two close to window. It was all done by time we boarded.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, JaniceB said:

If you schedule dinner at steakhouse on first night you get a bottle of wine with dinner, but you can pick another wine for 50% off and it doesn't count against your cheers.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One way to guarantee a 2 Top is to do ATD.  But as others have said, neighbors will be close.  We have asked for and received a prime fixed time 2 Top for special occasions requested through our PVP.  Priority is given to Diamond/Platinum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2019 at 11:18 AM, jcearth said:

In addition to the buffet for first day lunch, the following places are open:

 

1) Mongolian Wok - stir-fry

2) Guy's Burgers

3) Blue Iguana Cantina - tacos, burritos

4) Deli

5) Captain's Pasta - located in the Italian restaurant

6) Seafood Shack - (extra cost)

7) Pizzeria

 

All are located on the Lido deck, with the exception of the Captain's Pasta which is one deck above.  My recommendation on the first day would be the Pasta Bar (you fill out a form with your choices of noddles, sauce, and add-ins in addition to Caesar Salad and bread and then they will either deliver your food to you or give you a pager to pick up). This location is typically not crowded on Day 1 but will get more and more so as people discover it throughout the week.

 

Note that on Embarkation Day and other port days, the MDR will not be open for lunch.  On Sea Days, the MDR will be open for Seaday Brunch.  Also, Guy's Pig and Anchor BBQ outside on Deck 5 will be open on Sea Days.

 

So... is the Seafood Shack always an added cost? even at lunch?  I know I will want it and just want to set my expectations correctly.  TY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cruisinwithdad said:

 

So... is the Seafood Shack always an added cost? even at lunch?  I know I will want it and just want to set my expectations correctly.  TY

That would be correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...